my horse can skip

Help Support CattleToday:

sweetyp

Reaction score
ok this is a strange one which i think i know the reason for but not how to stop.
the horse that i'm schooling has started to do this little skip just before he goes into a trott. its like how they would go into a rear but without leaving the ground over 3inc. I know why he's doing this he realy enjoys trotting and gets bored at just a walk. though i am spending time with him just walking so that he gets used to this. I loung him everytime before i ride so it's not pent up energy. he just realy wants to trott.
It is only a little skip but it does put you off slightly because he goes straight into a trott afterwards.
It's not so much of a problem for me as i know he's going to do it but the horses owner wants to be able to put her friends 11 year old daughter on him. the girl can ride but fell off of this horse and has lost her confiance. though this girl should never have been put on this horse as she was a green rider and at the time the horse was broken but not schooled so was unperdictable.
any ideas how to stop him doing this.

Sounds like the horse is changing leads or getting into the lead he wants. When he does it take him down to a walk or stop him and do it again...and again... and again. You may also try this, back him a couple of steps and move him out right to a trot, without stop the backing. Movement back to immeditaly forward.

Good luck,
Alan

Latest posts