my first money pit...

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
my kids loved seeing this and wife did too and she wants to have this restored because this is the first farm truck my great grandparents had. We will be getting quotes on cost to put it on a rotisserie and other things that need to be done. it is a bucket of rust but has a lot of history and emotional value to me.

I love it! What is it about a 50 or 51? Please keep us updated with pics ....... And it will be a money pit, but maybe worth it with the memories. You have gound my true weakness, old Chevy trucks. :tiphat:

Cool truck Good luck with the restoration.

FWIW my great grandparents first farm truck was a cart and some oxen. Of course I am a lot older than you. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Alan its a 49 lol but ur closs enough lol

3 way thanks. my great grandpa on moms side was dead by the time I was born but this was his first farm truck I also have his horse drawn equipment in which will be cleaned up and painted this year. Truck will be a while longer unless i win lottery or make me a site to get donations lol

I've seen worse things get restored. It could look really nice, the styling sure is there! Whatever you do, don't let on you have too much emotional value in it, it'll double the price :)

I would start by taking the cab and box off, then the running gear, and buying a sandblaster and good compressor, can get a lot done, and heck, you have a front end loader, that's your rotisserie. Just do it piece by piece, though the body panels, etc may take some additional knowhow to get done right.

Good luck with it and keep us posted!

jltrent":3rogg00a said:
That ought to buff right out.
Sure will, if you use $100 bills. Lots of them.

Good luck, great project, and I hope you go all the way. Don't get discouraged.

Maybe that one has good ghosts & fond spirits, but don't dismiss finding one just like it all done up. Maybe trade it to someone who did one, and wants to do another and they might trade back.

I'm sure you'd be dollars ahead to find one already redone, but the sentimental value certainly has monetary value in this case :)

Oh, my dream pickup was a 47 Austin with a blown Chevy 350, lowered... saw it for sale about 20 years ago and never forgot it...

$17K

3995_1386331684864.jpg
3995_1386331685171.jpg

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/class ... onId=57009

Its easy to go out and buy one but do you truly appreciate it? I wouldn't but lets say me and my family actually work on it together doing some things and having experiences together is where you really truly appreciate it. HD that is a nice truck for sure.

Nesikep":2te1wlak said:
I've seen worse things get restored. It could look really nice, the styling sure is there! Whatever you do, don't let on you have too much emotional value in it, it'll double the price :)

I would start by taking the cab and box off, then the running gear, and buying a sandblaster and good compressor, can get a lot done, and heck, you have a front end loader, that's your rotisserie. Just do it piece by piece, though the body panels, etc may take some additional knowhow to get done right.

Good luck with it and keep us posted!

good point could use the loader as a rotisserie. I talked to a guy that told me for 9 grand he would sandblast everything and change out all the bolts and prime the body. I will keep checking around. I don't know anyone thats restored a vehicle to see if that cost is right or what I should be paying. My only thing is I wanted someone to do the ground work and I would take over the other work.

Looks like a great project. What is the blue car behind the truck. Looks like a Karmin Ghia or a Porsche. :compute:

Bolting or welding two of HF's heaviest engine stands together will make a very good rotisserie for your project.