My first AI calves

Help Support CattleToday:

chippie":3ktaidf3 said:
Congratualtions! Nice looking calves. I'm looking forward to seeing your Senepol calves. : )

Me Too! We're still waiting. I am starting to feel sorry for them. :shock:

Calving time is awesome - lots of anticipation - joy - sorrow - but each day is fun to watch the new ones playing! love it. BTW - looking good. Your Senepol just looks like a good big volume cow.

One of the senepol girls had a little bull calf on the 8th. :( Wanted a heifer. Still waiting on the other one to pop. :shock:

48KBullCalf1_zps1972909d.jpg

Llcolt":3ljo5qja said:
What's the story on Senepols? I never heard of that breed?

They are heat tolerant Bos Taurus breed developed in the in St Croix. They are polled and slick haired. I'm just getting into them as I find them to be good cattle for my environment and management.

Oh btw welcome to the forum

Last one finally poped! Another bull calf. Took the old cow awhile on this one, two hours from the time she broke water untill the calf was out. There was about an hour with no progress just a little bit of feet and a hint of a nose. I started to get things ready to pull it, turned my back for a few minutes and there was the calf. He was up sucking in about 30 minutes, seemed like a tired pair.

2nd48Kbullcalf_zps25f8479b.jpg

Great pictures. I just read 3 different articles this afternoon on calving. Each one warned about pulling too soon. Said you need to be sure the vagina is stretched and relaxed and the cervix is dialated. Dialation can be checked by running the hand, with sterile techniques and lubed, into the vagina and checking to feel if the cervix is still a tight band.

Latest posts