My first AI calves

Help Support CattleToday:

LRTX1

Reaction score
As some of you may have seen, I am putting my first AI calves on the ground. I have a motley crew of cows so my semen choice may seem to be all over the place. I used what was a good deal inside the AI techs tank, and one picked for my senepols.

First was a set of twins out of a RA cow bred to a BA bull named Papa Equator. Not happy about the twins (bull/heifer) but they seem to be doing fine now 12 days old. The picture was when they were 2-3 days old. I just wanted a marketable calf and the semen was priced right for what I thought was a good bull.

DSC_0438_zps75961316.jpg

Second is a tiger heifer bred to a Simmental bull named Venom. Again a marketable calf, looked for a lower bw and wanted to try a simmental for a terminal calf. Semen was in the tank and got a deal.

venomheifer_zps851c7d85.jpg

I have 2 more to come hopefully soon. Both are senepol cows bred to a Senepol bull HBC 7115 48K. Hopefully I get a couple decent heifers out of the deal as this is the direction I want my herd to go.

They're good looking calves but I'm curious to see how they perform at 3 months and weaning in our climate.

Yeah but you and i still know the norms for this area. So if thy excel even as twins or a first calf out of a heifer it's still going to give you an idea of what to expect

hooknline":2ck5pk7b said:
Yeah but you and i still know the norms for this area. So if thy excel even as twins or a first calf out of a heifer it's still going to give you an idea of what to expect

Well, the norm around these parts sure aint those big lbs numbers you see posted other places. I would be tickled senseless to see 500lbs at 6 months with these on grass.

Hopefully so. With these I just wanted some good looking market calves. Really excited to see the senepols. I am finding this AI stuff really amazing.

Nice calves Lane. They should ring the bell for you. You might need to wean the twins early but they should do OK

Thanks yall. The pasture is bahia. We had more rain and grass this year than cows to eat it. There are some weeds and other grasses but its mostly bahia. Vic, weaning early might be the best thing to do. I plan on keeping a pretty good eye on that bunch. If i find a neighborhood kid looking for a project they might get one.

Good looking calves. I want to see pics of the senepol calves when they get here. :D I've thought about using 48k on a few cows just to see what happens but I've never got around to it.

CP, I will post some pics when they get here. My poor senepol girls look like they are about to pop. This was about 10 days ago. Today is their "scheduled" due date.

DSC_0428_zpsdaaf121e.jpg

Darn Layne that ole girl has to be the poster girl for "Ready to POP" Great picture!

Good looking calves. I have seen some nice purebred cattle out of Papa Equator. I really like the Simmental cross calf. I own the bull in inyati13`s avatar pic. We got some good calves out of him over the years. Best of luck with the rest of your calving.

Circle H Ranch

LRTX1":1xn5veo4 said:
Vic, seems like she got way bigger in the last 10 days. My luck she's got triplets hanging out in there.

If she were mine, I'd keep as much of an eye on her as I can... she may need your help with one thing or another or a third. ;-)
Good luck!!! Hope all goes smoothly.

glacierridge":31c3vxv5 said:
LRTX1":31c3vxv5 said:
Vic, seems like she got way bigger in the last 10 days. My luck she's got triplets hanging out in there.

If she were mine, I'd keep as much of an eye on her as I can... she may need your help with one thing or another or a third. ;-)
Good luck!!! Hope all goes smoothly.

Funny part is I got another one look just like her.

Latest posts