My deer blind

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
I thought I should share a picture of my deer blind. After 5 days of hiking up and down steep mountains in search of the big one I said enough of this nonsense my hip was killing me. This morning as the son was headed out to search for the big one he stepped out the back door and said your buck is out here. I made the long walk (2 steps) to pick up my rifle and another long walk (3 or 4 steps) to the middle of the blind to shoot the buck. After getting him I had to drag him out. Well really just rolled him into the bucket of the tractor.
My fine deer blind.

The view from the deer blind.

I didn't take a picture of this giant buck because I didn't want any of you to be envious. After this experience those days of climbing steep mountains do seem like a waste of effort.

callmefence said:
I shoot deer off the upstairs toilet all the time. So bite me Dave.

If there was a deer on my upstairs toilet I would shoot them off it too. We try to keep the doors closed and the deer outside.

Shot an elk one time. I was way back in the hills but my pants were down around my ankles when I shot the elk. There was no toilet available.

Dave said:
callmefence said:

If there was a deer on my upstairs toilet I would shoot them off it too. We try to keep the doors closed and the deer outside.

Shot an elk one time. I was way back in the hills but my pants were down around my ankles when I shot the elk. There was no toilet available.

If you're able to keep deer from coming in and using the toilet you must not have very many around.

callmefence said:
Dave said:
callmefence said:

If you're able to keep deer from coming in and using the toilet you must not have very many around.

We have lots of deer. We have the cougars...... ah er ... Mountain Lions trained to keep them back from the house.

Dave said:
callmefence said:
Dave said:

We have lots of deer. We have the cougars...... ah er ... Mountain Lions trained to keep them back from the house.

Cougars can't survive here. With the hogs, rattlesnakes fireants, African bees, eared cattle and thorns it's just to rough for em.
Last time I saw one I was panning gold nuggets out of the bar ditch when one runs out on the road. Now only one car goes down this road Evey few weeks. Just so happens one comes along and hits that ol lion(that's what we call em) blows out a tire. These three young blonde girls get out, and after I fix the tire they offer to fulfill any fantasy I wish. I tells em I'm all tuckered out from helping my neighbor work his 1800 calves between breakfast and lunch today. Plus I'm married, plus I had all those kinda fantasy's taken care of back in my pro rodeo days......then I thought a minute....I says y'all ever stretched any barbwire....
That's the story of the last lion I saw, and how I got the wire stretched on the Godwin place..................... :hat:

Dave said:
I thought I should share a picture of my deer blind. After 5 days of hiking up and down steep mountains in search of the big one I said enough of this nonsense my hip was killing me. This morning as the son was headed out to search for the big one he stepped out the back door and said your buck is out here. I made the long walk (2 steps) to pick up my rifle and another long walk (3 or 4 steps) to the middle of the blind to shoot the buck. After getting him I had to drag him out. Well really just rolled him into the bucket of the tractor.
My fine deer blind.

The view from the deer blind.

I didn't take a picture of this giant buck because I didn't want any of you to be envious. After this experience those days of climbing steep mountains do seem like a waste of effort.

That is a nice geriatric blind.

callmefence said:
Dave said:
callmefence said:

Cougars can't survive here. With the hogs, rattlesnakes fireants, African bees, eared cattle and thorns it's just to rough for em.
Last time I saw one I was panning gold nuggets out of the bar ditch when one runs out on the road. Now only one car goes down this road Evey few weeks. Just so happens one comes along and hits that ol lion(that's what we call em) blows out a tire. These three young blonde girls get out, and after I fix the tire they offer to fulfill any fantasy I wish. I tells em I'm all tuckered out from helping my neighbor work his 1800 calves between breakfast and lunch today. Plus I'm married, plus I had all those kinda fantasy's taken care of back in my pro rodeo days......then I thought a minute....I says y'all ever stretched any barbwire....
That's the story of the last lion I saw, and how I got the wire stretched on the Godwin place..................... :hat:

I avoid stretching wire of any kind if at all possible. However, if there were a drought I would go to stretching wire because it always seems to rain when I build fence.

Dave said:
callmefence said:
Dave said:

I avoid stretching wire of any kind if at all possible. However, if there were a drought I would go to stretching wire because it always seems to rain when I build fence.

I guess you got me......if I could make it rain by building fence id have me ddd75 money ........

I thought we were going to be two for two yesterday. Son came in well after dark last night. He was sure that he hit a buck just before dark. But that is no country to mess around in after dark. So we went up there at first light to retrieve his deer. Hmmmmm no blood, no tracks, no deer. But we did find the same herd of deer a couple hundred yards up the next canyon. He missed that buck 5 times at under two hundred yards (he is a better shot than that). And missed by a mile because the deer pretty much stood there. The does milled around like they were wondering what the noise was. He decided that his rifle is off. Duh. I hadn't brought my rifle along because we were retrieving a dead deer. Oh well if the cougars don't get him he will be a bigger buck next year.

callmefence said:
Six rounds is what I pull outta the safe for the entire season
We get five tags .
The extra is to check my rifle so the other five land on target

We only get one tag and season is only 10 or 11 days. I go with a three shot group at paper. My present deer rifle I have shot 4 deer with it. A total of 4 shots. I carry an extra 8 or 10 but they are for firing signal shots if I fall and break a leg or something. The last 6 elk I have shot took a total of 12 shots. No misses. Elk can take a little killing. The rule is if they are still moving you keep shooting.

Dave said:
callmefence said:
We get five tags .

We only get one tag and season is only 10 or 11 days. I go with a three shot group at paper. My present deer rifle I have shot 4 deer with it. A total of 4 shots. I carry an extra 8 or 10 but they are for firing signal shots if I fall and break a leg or something. The last 6 elk I have shot took a total of 12 shots. No misses. Elk can take a little killing. The rule is if they are still moving you keep shooting.

If I fall off the toilet and break my leg I'll just yell for my wife....... seems you could do the same from the porch.

callmefence said:
Dave said:
callmefence said:
We get five tags .

If I fall off the toilet and break my leg I'll just yell for my wife....... seems you could do the same from the porch.

I didn't carry any for signal shots on the porch. My son was only 5 or 6 feet away although he did plug his ears. He might not have been able to hear my blood curdling screams or cries for help had I fallen.

Seriously there is a lot of vertical or near vertical ground here. Places where you might be the only person in this canyon this year. Maybe for several years. And no cell service.

Dave said:
callmefence said:
Dave said:

I didn't carry any for signal shots on the porch. My son was only 5 or 6 feet away although he did plug his ears. He might not have been able to hear my blood curdling screams or cries for help had I fallen.

Seriously there is a lot of vertical or near vertical ground here. Places where you might be the only person in this canyon this year. Maybe for several years. And no cell service.

Gotcha.... problem now is someone hears a bunch of gunshots up in those mountains they gonna think it's just that boy of yours trying to hit a deer... ;-)

callmefence said:
Dave said:
callmefence said:

Gotcha.... problem now is someone hears a bunch of gunshots up in those mountains they gonna think it's just that boy of yours trying to hit a deer... ;-)

You do have a point there....... I did explain to the wife that if I am really late after dark getting in one night to go outside and fire the pistol up in the air. If she hears 3 well spaced out shots to get on the phone and call the neighbor for help. Downside of that is if I broke my leg at 7:30 in the morning I might be waiting 12-13 hours for help. :help:

My other solution is packing matches. People here respond pretty quick when they see smoke.

Dave said:
callmefence said:
Dave said:

You do have a point there....... I did explain to the wife that if I am really late after dark getting in one night to go outside and fire the pistol up in the air. If she hears 3 well spaced out shots to get on the phone and call the neighbor for help. Downside of that is if I broke my leg at 7:30 in the morning I might be waiting 12-13 hours for help. :help:

My other solution is packing matches. People here respond pretty quick when they see smoke.

I never thought of that
Smoke being legal and all in Oregon. Definitely help with the pain of the broke leg

callmefence said:
Dave said:
callmefence said:

I never thought of that
Smoke being legal and all in Oregon. Definitely help with the pain of the broke leg

That would only work if I were hunting in Huntington, Oregon over by the Snake River. About 25 miles from here. The closest pot shops to Idaho, two of them in a town of about 300. On Friday and Saturday the parking lot is full of Idaho plates and the people are lined up clear across the street.
Up in the canyons here I would have to smoke sage brush or juniper. I don't think they would do any good. But I guess if a person were desperate. The problem is building a big enough signal fire to be seen without burning a couple thousand acres. Or if the wind shifts and the fire is running toward me. Hard to get out of the way with that broken leg.

Latest posts