My daughters first garden

Help Support CattleToday:

ohiosteve

Reaction score
My girl has been after me for a while to start a garden so last weekend we put together a small raised bed. We used some old telephone poles I have been saving and filled it with some PRIMO soil. It was fun trying to pick out what we would plant but she wanted to plant 100% Flowers. We decided on a few flowers but mostly edible produce. I know it's not much but it is managable and I would like to add more beds just like it as our empire grows.

Ohio looks good lol I am glad you convinced her on some flowers mostly produce I think if the world keeps going in the direction its going she may need the experience raising her own food. I love seeing young people do gardening it is also good as you said something managable that you can water if necessary.. I also see you had the right saw for the job. I am truly looking forward to some pictures uploaded.

Nice work! If she gets bit by the gardening bug you should buy her the book, Square Foot Gardening for her birthday - especially on of the older editions before he went too green. It has some great principles and suggestions for gardening in smaller spaces and you will be amazed at what you can do with that bed if you incorporate some of his principles to it.

That is excellent! My little girl, 4, wants to check the strawberries everyday. She says they sure are slow to get red Dad.

so good to see that STeve. That is exactly what we did with our kids, taught them about gardening, and how to plant things, and care for them. Great job!
Btw.. wish I had that skid loader and you had a better one!! ;-)

Good job, tho I would have used splitting wedges to make the rip cuts in the poles instead of the chainsaw. (I'm old and stuck in my ways)

Gardens are great for young folks--good teaching tools, learn responsibility, see fruits of their labor--all the good stuff. They learn about biology, how plants 'work', value of water, fertilize, nutrients, bugs, plant disease, weeds--all sorts of stuff besides just the plant itself.
I like the flagpole too--nice touch!!

Thanks for the compliments, seeing pictures of y'alls gardens inspired us. Great idea on the book Jo, she loves to read and her birthdays coming right up on the 23rd. Mike, I'd recommend a 785 to anyone looking for a skidloader. They are 2 speed, very stable and will lift a small house and quite simple to work on.Good idea on the wedges greybeard, I will try that next time.

skyhightree1":2a6z4oyr said:
Ohio hows the garden going?
The tomato plants we bought started are growing good, but so far none of the seeds are up. Didn't get to check last night we had a band recital. We had a long cool stretch after we planted until past few days it has been about 70. So hopefully they'll sprout. The grass is growing like crazy now though. FYI the band recital went great. My girl is first chair flute.

skyhightree1":1i7pilu5 said:
Gotcha... good job I was in band too I played alto sax in jazz band.

me too. I even played sax in the symphny orchestra in college.

ohiosteve":26ej8pnc said:
skyhightree1":26ej8pnc said:
The tomato plants we bought started are growing good, but so far none of the seeds are up. Didn't get to check last night we had a band recital. We had a long cool stretch after we planted until past few days it has been about 70. So hopefully they'll sprout. The grass is growing like crazy now though. FYI the band recital went great. My girl is first chair flute.

Yer a good Dad Steve. Good on ya for taking the time to do that for your girl! :tiphat:

3waycross":17mjupeh said:
ohiosteve":17mjupeh said:
skyhightree1":17mjupeh said:

Yer a good Dad Steve. Good on ya for taking the time to do that for your girl! :tiphat:

I must agree

3waycross":l4718j3w said:
skyhightree1":l4718j3w said:

Are you guys interested in starting a band? Skyhigh and 3-way on the sax, my daughter on the flute, I'll play the drums (never tried but how hard can it be?) maybe Caustic Burno can be the singer, I imagine he has that gruff bluesey voice. I can hear our first hit now, "Cattlemans blues".

Are you guys interested in starting a band? Skyhigh and 3-way on the sax, my daughter on the flute, I'll play the drums (never tried but how hard can it be?) maybe Caustic Burno can be the singer, I imagine he has that gruff bluesey voice. I can hear our first hit now, "Cattlemans blues".[/quote]

Nah! i gave it up a long time ago. I finally figured out that i would never make a good "Blues Man". I am allergic to Gin! :lol2: :lol2:

ohiosteve":2uay3qj5 said:
3waycross":2uay3qj5 said:
skyhightree1":2uay3qj5 said:

Are you guys interested in starting a band? Skyhigh and 3-way on the sax, my daughter on the flute, I'll play the drums (never tried but how hard can it be?) maybe Caustic Burno can be the singer, I imagine he has that gruff bluesey voice. I can hear our first hit now, "Cattlemans blues".

Im game sounds like a hit that our forum would love im sure. I can hear ryan seacrest announce this song.

Latest posts