My dad wants my kid to work in the cattle industry

Help Support CattleToday:

ChrisB said:
I've never really compared, but if I had to guess, a pro basketball player probably makes more than your average cowman. If I could have a do-over, I would play 2-3 years in the NBA then use that money to buy a ranch. But too late now... Wish I would have thought of it when I was younger.

I considered basketball as well. Only had two problems: I was too short and couldn't jump :lol: :lol2:

I never had a grandfather both died before me. I grew up on a family farm my parents worked in town farmed on the weekends and at night. When a senior in high school my father told me i couldn't make a living farming. I went to college and followed a differnt route for 10 years. That didn't work out. Started farming full time 11 years ago. If i had that 10 years back i would be so much farther along. My advice don't push something on kids and don't tell them what not to do. My kids want to be a vet just like their mother. I don;t think that is the best idea. But i'm with them doing what they want.

ChrisB said:
I've never really compared, but if I had to guess, a pro basketball player probably makes more than your average cowman. If I could have a do-over, I would play 2-3 years in the NBA then use that money to buy a ranch. But too late now... Wish I would have thought of it when I was younger.
I shoulda learn to play the guitar.... I shoulda learned to play them drums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAD6Obi7Cag

Money for nothing... and chicks for free.

(grrr..... well at least I tried posting the song)

I don't want to grow up. How do you opt out of that?! Haha
Just go with the flow he will figure out what he wants to do with his life. I bet your dad just enjoys talking about his good old days and giving your son some options to think about. It's good he spends time sharing with your son be thankful you have such a wonderful dad. Regardless what your son decides to do it will all work out. Just live and let live.
I didn't grow up on a farm.... no farming in my family. Shoot I just wanted a DOG!!! 2 kids, cows, chickens, and a mini horse later still no dog. Hahaha! My children already want a sheep, goat and a rabbit. Lol I do enjoy the farming. Definitely alot more work than I thought. I pictured more like hay cute cows 👋🏽🐂🐃🐄 as I sit on our porch sipping sweet tea. HAHAHA maybe one day. Jist getting all the fence and everything right.
The way I see it hopefully it will teach my children some responsibility, to work hard, and all that good stuff. Instead of them growing up having an entitlement attitude and not knowing how to fix anything. If you don't know how to do something learn how. 🏍🚴🏾‍♀️🏋🏼‍♀️⛹️‍♀️🚣‍♀️🏄‍♀️🏌️‍♀️🏇🏂🧘‍♀️🧗‍♀️💃🏽🏃🏿‍♂️🤹‍♀️

Latest posts