my cow is lonely

Help Support CattleToday:

trappersteve":1ey44l6p said:
Thanks guys, I pretty much know the basics of it now I just need some hands in experience.

Trapper, in difference to regolith, it can be difficult/frustrating. Heifers have a soft cervix making it difficult to get the tip of the gun started into the opening of the cervix. The first three I bred last spring were heifers. The first one was a PB simmental and I went right into the cervix and had no problem. The second heifer got nervous and I finally gave up. They get nervous and cramp up; it puts bends and pockets in the vagina and it pulls the cervix down; bending it so that the opening is more difficult to get started into. What helped me over-come the frustration was "focusing on what I was doing". It is a manual dexterity exercise of performing this process (1) inserting a rod into a tube, (2) going through a hole at the end of the tube, and (3) dropping semen on the other end of that hole (cervix). If you take the class, I hope they have a disected cow reproductive tract to practice on. Because that gives you a real vision of the hole at the end of the tube that you are trying to get the rod in.

CP made a statement to me in a PM that helped. He said he "just does it". I cannot explain that statement other than to say that for me it helped and I don't give up, I "just do it".

inyati13":161tht19 said:
CP made a statement to me in a PM that helped. He said he "just does it". I cannot explain that statement other than to say that for me it helped and I don't give up, I "just do it".
I think he's saying he simply doesn't over think it. It becomes more instintive. I know when I palpated hundreds of cows it was like having eyes on my fingers. Took no thought at all.

I might run one in the chute tomorrow and maybe try a dry run at it,I've got an open cow that I plan on aing anyway and she's pretty calm so I try not to stress her. I do have a question about how far into her is the cervix in her on a typical 3 year old? I know its kinda stupid question but the one I pregchecked I didn't feel a thing that felt like a cervix. I know I need to have someone here that knows what their doing but the only Guy that knows how to do it stays pretty busy and I really need some experience ;-

trappersteve":3eq3u94m said:
I might run one in the chute tomorrow and maybe try a dry run at it,I've got an open cow that I plan on aing anyway and she's pretty calm so I try not to stress her. I do have a question about how far into her is the cervix in her on a typical 3 year old? I know its kinda stupid question but the one I pregchecked I didn't feel a thing that felt like a cervix. I know I need to have someone here that knows what their doing but the only Guy that knows how to do it stays pretty busy and I really need some experience ;-
Trapper, experimenting is good. In my size cattle (simangus), when I get to the middle of my forearm; I have found it, moved past it and am ready to grasp the cervix. The manual says the cervix is usually 6 to 8 inches into the vagina. For a landmark in finding the cervix do this. After you get your hand started into the rectum, flatten your hand, palm down and move it forward on the floor of the birth canal until you feel the anterior edge of the pelvic floor. Here is the way the manual states it, "the cervix will be located on the floor of the pelvic cavity near the anterior end of the pelvic bone."

Take a class. Check with the semen companies in your area. Select Sires did the one I attended. It was one day of classroom instruction and two days at the stockyards in practical application on cows. In class, they had disected reproductive systems to view. That gives you a real visual of what the cervix looks like and how it fits into the anatomy. Keep in mind that the cervix is a round opening that "protrudes back into the vigina". What becomes difficult, is hitting that hole and avioiding getting the tip of the gun in the "blind pocket" (formix) that surrounds the cervix. That is what I was saying above. On a heifer with a soft cervix, you got to work with the cervix until you get the tip of the gun started in.

BTW: My class was $300 but you get $200 of that applied to your first semen order so it is $100.

Latest posts