my cow is lonely

Help Support CattleToday:

trappersteve

Reaction score
My Jersey cow seems to be lonely after I took the heifers to my spring pasture. She just walks the fence bawling and is not eating near as much as she was. My options are to bring a heifer back so she will have a buddy or I had thought about drying her up and taking her over there too. My holstien calves are about 4 months old so no problem there. If I do dry her up is there anything special I need to give her.

I know it kinda stupid question but im kinda getting worried about her. I know cattle are herd animals and I keep the calves in the lot and feed twice a day. The reason I got her was for a nurse cow and she's done an excellent job so far.

The reason I ask was I was planning on putting another set of calves on her and leaving just her at the house. But I understand now that she needs a buddy and I'll probably have enough grass for two or was thinking on drying her up til she calves in September . What do I need to do to dry her up?

trappersteve":8v5tfeup said:
I know it kinda stupid question but im kinda getting worried about her. I know cattle are herd animals and I keep the calves in the lot and feed twice a day. The reason I got her was for a nurse cow and she's done an excellent job so far.

The reason I ask was I was planning on putting another set of calves on her and leaving just her at the house. But I understand now that she needs a buddy and I'll probably have enough grass for two or was thinking on drying her up til she calves in September . What do I need to do to dry her up?
Take her off feed give her good hay and she will dry in a couple weeks. She will quit bawling in a few days it will help her if she had some kind of buddy with her. They do not like to be alone.

I was under the impression that Holsteins, Jerseys and such needed to be dried up gradually (calves allowed to nurse just once a day for awhile, that sort of thing), or antibiotic placed in the teats, or SOMETHING, to prevent the cow from developing mastitis. That's not correct?

mjnetex":1kw18hen said:
I was under the impression that Holsteins, Jerseys and such needed to be dried up gradually (calves allowed to nurse just once a day for awhile, that sort of thing), or antibiotic placed in the teats, or SOMETHING, to prevent the cow from developing mastitis. That's not correct?

It's not correct.
It depends on her production level and her history of mastitis and all sorts of things.
If her production is very high, when you stop milking her she will spring up and dribble and is at high risk of mastitis because her teats are open and leaking. In which case, reducing the feed and milking only once a day for a few days will drop her production before you stop milking her altogether. Using dry cow therapy (DCT - antibiotic) or teatseal will help prevent mastitis.
I only use DCT on the cows that have a history of mastitis. I then bring back 10% of the ones that didn't get DCT at dry-off and treat them for mastitis shortly after. If I used DCT on everything it would be 0%.

Regolith, I weaned the calves on Saturday and she is not leaking any milk yet I did milk her some Sunday to relieve some pressure. Do I still need to put that stuff in her (tomorrow I think its called) . Do I need to empty her out before I put it in?

trappersteve":1vm4sokc said:
Regolith, I weaned the calves on Saturday and she is not leaking any milk yet I did milk her some Sunday to relieve some pressure. Do I still need to put that stuff in her (tomorrow I think its called) . Do I need to empty her out before I put it in?

You decide either way; the risk is a fairly low one if she doesn't get treated.
It's getting a bit late for this - it should have been done immediately after her last milking; and in my time zone it's now four days since Sunday. Empty her out before putting the tubes in if you do decide to use it.

trapper, you can bring her here. :D
I have the time and facilities so I separate cattle for several purposes. I observe the behavior that results form separation and reintroduction back into the herd. It went through my mind yesterday, that animal husbandry is like being a wildlife biologist. You study forages, carrying capacity, behavior, etc. to manage cows. I admit it is not of interest to most producers who focus primarily on a cow as a business item but I get much more out of them. Herd animals have a complex social structure. I never put a female by herself. I have separated the bull before but bulls can handle solitary confinement. Ungulate males often leave the herd and reside alone. Old Cape Buffalo reside in small bachelor groups or lone bulls, they refer to them as "dugger boys". I understand it is an Afrikaner word meaning mud because the old boys wallow in mud holes. Get her a buddy! She will do better.

Inyati, when I weaned the calves I did bring in a couple of hereford cows and she seems to be doing alot better. I did notice that when the calves were here she was my shadow and followed me around like a puppy dog so I could tell she wanted some kind of companion.

Its been a learning experience but im trying to get into this business and gonna try my hand in AI in a few weeks so wish me luck.

trappersteve":1ifmflrx said:
Inyati, when I weaned the calves I did bring in a couple of hereford cows and she seems to be doing alot better. I did notice that when the calves were here she was my shadow and followed me around like a puppy dog so I could tell she wanted some kind of companion.

Its been a learning experience but im trying to get into this business and gonna try my hand in AI in a few weeks so wish me luck.

Wishing you good luck. Once you get good at it you can teach me.

fitz

trappersteve":bdg9wi1o said:

Good luck, Trapper. I get a tremendous reward from being the instrument for the creation of the off-spring. I am doing well. Here is what I do: I prepare the semen for insemination like I was performing surgery. I get their cycles down so I know as much as possible about their estrus behavior. That helps me know when to inseminate. The secret to getting the semen in the right place if thinking in three dimensions (always know where you are in space). Use the cervix as your primary landmark. And here is something that came to me in the last few I bred, don't keep the exact words in the manual in your head as absolute guidance. Just use your feel with the prime objective that "you want that tip on the uterine side of the cervix". Once you get through the cervix, stop and take the time to know just where the tip is before you dump the semen. I did 3 heifers and 2 cows in December on 7 attempts. One that I had to redo was because the cow was so big inside that it threw me a curve and I got off my game. The second time around, I was prepared for what was in there and I stuck with it until I was right where I wanted to be and I nailed her.

Good luck.

You make it sound difficult Inyati.

It's only threading a needle through a blanket in the dark.

Good luck trappersteve.
As an older farmer told me before I did the training - "you'll love it".

Latest posts