my costs for finished beef

Help Support CattleToday:

Hereford Roadhog, you are absolutely correct, and I SINCERELY APOLOGIZE! I went back and looked. You did not send that private message. That sender was from TN -- it wasn't you.

HEREFORD ROADHOG DID NOT SEND THAT SHYTTY MESSAGE!

Mea Culpa! :hide:

Inbred ,it looks like we're dealing with the smartest,Im better than you,best cattle feeder in the USA,Even though my costs are double everyone elses & I pass it on to my customer. It has to be ...... Barrack Obama !!!!!!!! :banana: :clap: :wave:[/quote]
Hereford Roadhog, I should post the entire idiotic, racist private email you sent me the other day. If you live by what you sent, maybe that's how you keep your costs down -- "everyone should own a few." Wooo haw, big banana clap.[/quote]
Nice try KATHIE, but I have never E-mailed anyone on this forum. So go ahead & post it .Put your money where your BIG mouth is.We can get the site administrator involved if you'd like.[/quote]

Hereford Roadhog, you are absolutely correct, and I SINCERELY APOLOGIZE! I went back and looked. You did not send that private message. That sender was from TN -- it wasn't you.

HEREFORD ROADHOG DID NOT SEND THAT SHYTTY MESSAGE!

Mea Culpa! I'm very sorry! :hide:

hooknline":1v4p2zut said:
ok, for the skeptics out there:
costs me 1.25/day during the summer months, and 1.75 during the winter. this includes hay and cubes. so a calf costs me 547.00 right off the bat. then at 6 months, they are weaned, so thats another 273.00 for half the year. then since its grass raised, it takes another 10-12 months to get to 1000 bs. lets say another 10, thats another 450 bucks. total so far: 1270 bucks. then add in butcher cost of.40/b hanging (600 lb avg) and 40.00 kill fee. total is now 1550.00. add in grain to finish at 200 bucks for 60 days, now 1750.00 total cost. not including fuel, time, mineral, wormer, pasture inprovements( winter grasses, overseeding in spring, lime tec) fence repairs, land cost now carcass at 600 lb at 3.5/lb hanging is 2100 bucks. so my profit for 2 years of work is 350.00 bucks. woohoo! not bad for about 15 hours a week for 2 years.
anyway, for everyone saying I must be joking,ripping people off, etc.....whattya think now??????
Sorry to burst your bubble Hook but you asked "whattya think now??????" I think to cover all your costs you should be charging a lot more for your meat ;-) before you will show any kind of profit - that is taking your calculations, amount of carcasses processed(I am assuming a few), labour costs over 2 years(65 days of labour) and costs that you have not included, into consideration. You really need to include all relevant costs...ie possible mortality or bum steer, medical expenses, AI or bull, unforseen food requirments in drought etc, telephone, marketing, electricity, fixed costs as well as the expenses you mentioned etc etc etc............

HEREFORD ROADHOG":2upcu8hh said:
hooknline":2upcu8hh said:
Sorry, ill be back in a bit. Grilling these beauties right now
scaled.php

Two pork chops & some kind of mystery steak, Hook ?
No Mr Loudmouth, 2 smaller club steaks and a sirloin

Alison, yep, I got what I asked for. Nothing to be sorry for.
I think this thread has about run its course, unless mr loadmouth wants to continue his personal attacks.

After skimming through much of this thread I found it ironic. A month or so back people were complaining about hay producers selling their product for market price because it seemed to high. Now there are beef producers selling their product above market price and most posters seem to be in their corner.

I guess everything is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. It always seems that the person doing the selling, whether it's a car, tractor, hay, or beef thinks what they are selling is better than everyone else's.

I worked with a guy that had a few pigs and kept track of all his costs and when he sold them to his friends and family he sold them for his cost plus 10% for his time. He said the wasn't doing it to make money so that is what he charged. No problem, but I always thought it was funny that what he charged was 50% more than the hog farmer down the road who was making a living at it and was trying to make as much money as he could.

hooknline":2ql0f7yu said:
Funny how buying in bulk and the price of trucking and fuel change prices aint it
Personally Hook, I don't know why folks care soooo much what you charge for beef or anything else. Its not like you are holding them hostage and making them buy from you. It's simply worth what someone else is willing to pay. By the way, I have a penny for sale if anyone is interested, it was made in 1991 and I'll take $10 for it. Just PM me if interested.

Isomade":12slbs84 said:
hooknline":12slbs84 said:
Funny how buying in bulk and the price of trucking and fuel change prices aint it
Personally Hook, I don't know why folks care soooo much what you charge for beef or anything else. Its not like you are holding them hostage and making them buy from you. It's simply worth what someone else is willing to pay. By the way, I have a penny for sale if anyone is interested, it was made in 1991 and I'll take $10 for it. Just PM me if interested.
:clap: :nod: :clap:

As for the penny, how much you got in it?? Don't want no gouging here ;-)

I don't get it either. Ill give you a nickle for that penny. You should take my offer cuz its 500% profit. Then you too can join the list of cheats, money grubbers , thiefs, and liars. Its an elite group I hear

TexasBred":2jf0gekn said:
Isomade":2jf0gekn said:
hooknline":2jf0gekn said:
:clap: :nod: :clap:

As for the penny, how much you got in it?? Don't want no gouging here ;-)
Actually TB I have much more than that in it. I was at a meeting in Dallas which cost me $103 in gas and food to be there. The meeting turned out to be worthless but I found this penny in the parking lot on my way out. So I have $103 in the penny not counting the wear and tear on my truck. All told I have about $131 in the penny so it's a steal at $10. :cowboy:

ChrisB":22l20asz said:
I worked with a guy that had a few pigs and kept track of all his costs and when he sold them to his friends and family he sold them for his cost plus 10% for his time. He said the wasn't doing it to make money so that is what he charged. No problem, but I always thought it was funny that what he charged was 50% more than the hog farmer down the road who was making a living at it and was trying to make as much money as he could.
I believe this man you worked with may have moved to Florida ;-) And the the other hog farmer now lives in ohio.

inbredredneck":wzoguzu0 said:
ChrisB":wzoguzu0 said:
I believe this man you worked with may have moved to Florida ;-) And the the other hog farmer now lives in ohio.

Hook's people aren't squealing. Other folks' private buyers are not squealing. Why are you squealing? Across the board for steaks/burger/roasts/special cuts -- unless you only price by weekly grocery store sales for the pieces and parts from $3.50 to $9.00/lb.-- AND YOU KNOW WHERE GROCERY STORE BEEF COMES FROM (it comes from a source you have no clue about!) -- why are you bashing Hook or anyone else, who isn't a big feedlot operation, turning over hundreds of head a month, but has a decent (or maybe better) price for the work and care they put into their product, three, or a dozen or 20 head a year? Reminder: You don't have to buy from Hook, or me! You don't pay our feed bills or incidental costs, and you don't do our chores and maintenance. So, what's your problem? :frowns:

Kathie in Thorp":dshdb82t said:
inbredredneck":dshdb82t said:
ChrisB":dshdb82t said:

Hook's people aren't squealing. Other folks' private buyers are not squealing. Why are you squealing? Across the board for steaks/burger/roasts/special cuts -- unless you only price by weekly grocery store sales for the pieces and parts from $3.50 to $9.00/lb.-- AND YOU KNOW WHERE GROCERY STORE BEEF COMES FROM (it comes from a source you have no clue about!) -- why are you bashing Hook or anyone else, who isn't a big feedlot operation, turning over hundreds of head a month, but has a decent (or maybe better) price for the work and care they put into their product, three, or a dozen or 20 head a year? Reminder: You don't have to buy from Hook, or me! You don't pay our feed bills or incidental costs, and you don't do our chores and maintenance. So, what's your problem? :frowns:
I don't care who pays what, but you all keep comparing this $3.50 beef to grocery store beef. Why? Is that the only way you can think of to justify a 30% markup above the exact same product? Instead of comparing apples to apples you keep comparing apples to watermelons.

InbredRN -- You haven't bought/tasted the beef we produce. Or Hook's. We can't compare ours to yours, and you can't do yours to ours, And, what would it matter?

My customers don't want grocer's beef. They don't want something that came out of the sale yard yesterday, and off to the butcher tomorrow.

You don't "compete" for our customers; I don't think we are fighting for yours. Sell your beef for what you want to sell it for, what you think is fair and reasonable. What's the problem? :???:

30-40% profit is ok. I used to sell right at costs but.....why should I subsidize the cushy surburbanite lifestyle. They're watching American Idol or something like that and I'm cutting firewood by 4-wheeler headlight because it was either that or feed in the dark.
I saw the 3rd quarter of the Auburn Ole Miss game and that's ALL the football I've seen in 2yrs. My co-workers can tell me all about it though.

I'm not hostile I'm just not gonna pay for everyone else while I feed steers in the be nice rain!

Ok, I feel beeter now :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

um...maybe im a jerk but who cares what ya think..anyone for that matter. im doing mine the way it works fer me and if ya dont like it ...pound sand somewhere else..i got paid...

dieselbeef":p1ku39yk said:
um...maybe im a jerk but who cares what ya think..anyone for that matter. im doing mine the way it works fer me and if ya dont like it ...pound sand somewhere else..i got paid...
You and your customers are the only ones that matter. What others thing doesn't matter.

Latest posts