my costs for finished beef

Help Support CattleToday:

Many many years ago I sold cars for W.O. Bankston Nissan in Dallas. My happiest customers where always the ones who paid closest to or above sticker price. My biggest PITA customers where the ones who beat us down to a bare minimum profit margin. I was marveling at this trend one day when an old timer gave me his take. He said that the ones who paid full price saw the value in the vehicle and were proud of what they were buying whereas the folks that beat us down in price saw the car as just as necessity and they weren't as emotional committed to the relationship.

Kinda makes sense looking back over the years and I think it applies to lots of things in life.

hooknline":26x9eaid said:
I don't get it either. Ill give you a nickle for that penny. You should take my offer cuz its 500% profit. Then you too can join the list of cheats, money grubbers , thiefs, and liars. Its an elite group I hear

You would hook. :shock: then you would add your giant list of other expenses & sell it to you unknowing "friends" for 5.00 & tell them what a great deal they are getting.. :nod:

inbredredneck":15agp2cw said:
ChrisB":15agp2cw said:
I worked with a guy that had a few pigs and kept track of all his costs and when he sold them to his friends and family he sold them for his cost plus 10% for his time. He said the wasn't doing it to make money so that is what he charged. No problem, but I always thought it was funny that what he charged was 50% more than the hog farmer down the road who was making a living at it and was trying to make as much money as he could.
I believe this man you worked with may have moved to Florida ;-) And the the other hog farmer now lives in ohio.

Why thank you Inbred. :tiphat: I did in fact help raise hogs with my Dad for many years. He was like I am,probably where I got it from, he was very fair with people too .......

HEREFORD ROADHOG":3dr2jpcv said:
hooknline":3dr2jpcv said:
I don't get it either. Ill give you a nickle for that penny. You should take my offer cuz its 500% profit. Then you too can join the list of cheats, money grubbers , thiefs, and liars. Its an elite group I hear

You would hook. :shock: then you would add your giant list of other expenses & sell it to you unknowing "friends" for 5.00 & tell them what a great deal they are getting.. :nod:

You haven't made a "real" point since you took this on, H RHog, except to swipe at people. Not everyone has the same situation, same costs, same type customer base as you. This is the USA -- free enterprise! :banana: Take a break from something that you apparently know Jack-shyt about.

TennesseeTuxedo":2g7kv9kd said:
Many many years ago I sold cars for W.O. Bankston Nissan in Dallas. My happiest customers where always the ones who paid closest to or above sticker price. My biggest PITA customers where the ones who beat us down to a bare minimum profit margin. I was marveling at this trend one day when an old timer gave me his take. He said that the ones who paid full price saw the value in the vehicle and were proud of what they were buying whereas the folks that beat us down in price saw the car as just as necessity and they weren't as emotional committed to the relationship.

Kinda makes sense looking back over the years and I think it applies to lots of things in life.

That's your view. Now heres mine,those people that paid above sticker price obviuosly had ,what we in the Midwest refer to as "more money than sense".......... :nod:

Kathie in Thorp":5zgozvc8 said:
HEREFORD ROADHOG":5zgozvc8 said:
hooknline":5zgozvc8 said:

You haven't made a "real" point since you took this on, H RHog, except to swipe at people. Not everyone has the same situation, same costs, same type customer base as you. This is the USA -- free enterprise! :banana: Take a break from something that you apparently know Jack-shyt about.

Been hittin the sauce again Kathie? I didn't say anything about a "real" point. I never doubted that people have different costs,or situations , just don't like the double market pricing. remember that the next time you get ripped off at the garage. That mechanic friend of "yours" may have had more schooling,drives 50 miles to work everyday,so thats why he charged twice as much as the guy down the road..You just thank him & go to the store & buy some Preperation H ......... :cry2:

You're just flat rude and disrespectful, H RHog! Big bully that has to make somebody else look small by thinking he makes himself look big. Does that just come all by itself, or do you have to have help with it? Done with you!

judging by the low post count i wouldnt be surprised if that crazy ghetto farmer/inbred/roadhog aint the same.

someone must be having a good time makin all this crap up evryday...someone with way to much time on their hands

at least these 2 dopes can spell and speak english

It's okay guys. Roadhog has demonstrated that you can't take anything he says seriously. He just wants to annoy and insult people. He also didn't grow up in the same Midwest that I did, or his mamma would have slapped him upside the head for his rudeness and lack of manners .
Whatever he does for a living "off farm", obviously has no bearing on making a profit. I'm figuring that's up to his boss to worry about.
And, apparently where he lives, everyone just goes to the local sale barn on grocery day and orders a 1/4 beef - no need for grocery stores there, cause they're just evil profiteers. :lol: :lol:

One of the locals had gone into the meat business in a BIG way. He has three farms that I know of. He was selling grass-finished hamburger for 6.00/lb! I saw a "For Sale" sign on his meat store this weekend. Not sure what he's doing now.

any of the grass finished is way higher priced. i can actually do it cheaper. if i had to feed em out id have way more in em..course im not a feedlot but i have stayed at a holiday inn once or twice

HEREFORD ROADHOG":76w83fgd said:
Lon":76w83fgd said:
hooknline":76w83fgd said:
ok, for the skeptics out there:
costs me 1.25/day during the summer months, and 1.75 during the winter. this includes hay and cubes. so a calf costs me 547.00 right off the bat. then at 6 months, they are weaned, so thats another 273.00 for half the year. then since its grass raised, it takes another 10-12 months to get to 1000 bs. lets say another 10, thats another 450 bucks. total so far: 1270 bucks. then add in butcher cost of.40/b hanging (600 lb avg) and 40.00 kill fee. total is now 1550.00. add in grain to finish at 200 bucks for 60 days, now 1750.00 total cost. not including fuel, time, mineral, wormer, pasture inprovements( winter grasses, overseeding in spring, lime tec) fence repairs, land cost
now carcass at 600 lb at 3.5/lb hanging is 2100 bucks. so my profit for 2 years of work is 350.00 bucks. woohoo! not bad for about 15 hours a week for 2 years.
anyway, for everyone saying I must be joking,ripping people off, etc.....whattya think now??????

personally i dont care what you get. i say if you can get $10/lb than good for you. if 3.5 is what makes ya happy than 3.5 it is. i would have to rely on the fact that if someone is paying that price for it (wiether it be 2 or 10 doesnt matter) and still coming back for more than you are giving them a product for a price that they think it more than fair. so i dont see why anyone would say you are cheating somebody. those same people that call you a cheat should maybe raise a better product or sharpen thier marketing skills and get a little more for thiers. looking at it like this a cow calf producer if he takes his weaned calves to the salebarn to sell and they give him 1.3 one year and a 1.6 the next i dont know one of them that would say hold on wait a min. you take that extra .3 back cause i am getting to much and that makes me a cheater. it the same concept for selling it on the rail i would assume.
now to my questions and in no where in here am i calling you a cheater or a liar or anything of the sort so by all means dont take offense to this. i am assuming 1.25 summer and 1.75 winter for the cost of 547 is for the pasture and feed to runa cow for a year right? if so i wish you lived around here cause i would lease some pasture run them for you and do the work on the cow/calf part of the operation and knock off 67 dollars right off the top. the 273 for the next 6 months on the calf is equal to half a year figuring on a cow is that were that figure came from? if so they are charging the same to run a weaned calf as they do a cow roughly? are they feeding and putting wieght on over the winter for that? if so how much lb/day gain are you getting on them? wondering cause around here if you feed a calf heavy over the winter (putting gain on them not just growing) than you wouldnt turn back out on grass cause you could lose 50-100lbs right away do so. (keep in mind this is what i am told from yearling guys i know cause i have no first hand experiance with them other than the cow calf part and just growing heifers threw winter. now the 450 for the next 10 months on grass the closest i came to that figure is to run a cow for the 10 months would be 455 or 5/6 of the yearly cost of 547 to run a cow so that would be 450 on the calf or close to that 10 months like a cow would cost. so were your at they charge the same to run a yearling as they do a cow? if so i would say that there seems unfair if just putting them both on grass.
one other thing and somebody correct me cause there is a good chance i am wrong here but take a typical angus type steer for size wise. i was always led to believe finished wieght is close to 1200 lbs sometime more sometimes less depending on frame but that 1200lbs is a close guess
Lon, you can't compare prices from a sale barn from 1 year to another to this. That is called MARKET price at the time. Charging double market price ,or more, to your "friends" is gouging. Ask yourself if you have a clear CONSCIENCE. I sell to friends neighbors,relatives & co-workers, I'd like to think I'm treating them FAIRLY. I like how you are fine with him charging whatever ,& then begin to question all of his other facts & figures. It seems to me that it's just a hobby for him,to try & get rich on,at his customers (& friends ) expense. Just keep that in mind the next time gas goes up a quater a gallon & you're griping, that the oil companies are gouging.................................. :bang:
Well this thread sure has taking off hasnt it. well mr roadhog here it goes for ya. i am fine with whatever he charges people. like i said before i dont care if he gets 10 a lb for it makes no difference to me and i just dont see how it can bother you so much cause at the end of the day if he sells it for 10 or 3.5 or goes broke and never feeds another one out it does not affect your life in the least i dont believe other than the fact you will have to find someone else to call a cheat. as far as begining to ? all his fact and figures i did do that but like i said was to make sure i realized where they were coming from and i am sure i even pointed out that i was asking just to understand not to imply anything. cause just between me and you if i wanted something to be implyed i would just say it not hint about it by asking questions on facts and figures. also i do not gripe about the fuel being high. i havnt yet and wont start to cause the way i see it is i could sit around and complain all day but it wont change the price none and i have just wasted my time. would i like to see it lower sure would id also like to buy a new diesel pickup for less than 50 grand bred cows for less than 1300 and a good saddle horse for less than 2500 hundred but i dont see that happening even if i did gripe about it all day long so again wont waste my time. know what i mean? also without going and looking back through all this reading again i think you said ground chuck for something like 2.77 lb well i will half to look again but after this thread first got put up i was thinking i saw 80/20 burger in them big rolled up tubes for around 2.6 or 2.7 at walmart but dont quote me on that i would have to go look again to make sure cause i dont buy meat from the store.

TexasBred":2w3fndlq said:
Isomade":2w3fndlq said:
hooknline":2w3fndlq said:
Funny how buying in bulk and the price of trucking and fuel change prices aint it
Personally Hook, I don't know why folks care soooo much what you charge for beef or anything else. Its not like you are holding them hostage and making them buy from you. It's simply worth what someone else is willing to pay. By the way, I have a penny for sale if anyone is interested, it was made in 1991 and I'll take $10 for it. Just PM me if interested.
:clap: :nod: :clap:

As for the penny, how much you got in it?? Don't want no gouging here ;-)

:lol2: :lol2: :clap: :clap: when i was reading i was waiting for some posts like this. brings a smile to my face. now all we are missing is for 3way to show up and put a quick word of wisdom with his smart spin on it. them sure make a thread that takes a seriouse turn more fun to read.

And Hook i will be the first one to admit i dont cook at all really (one reason my wife wifes cooking sure made it hard not to love her) but i will make a cold meat sandwich. What is all that seasoning you got poured on them steaks. throw them on the grill and eat that meat for the flavor. :lol2: just giving a hard time. reminds me of the time i first went on a date with my wife we had a steak i put ketchup on my plate and and said your ruing the flavor of the meat. i laughed and told her you might be right but i doubt applesbees is known for thier great steaks and if she was worried about not eating it for the flavor than i would gladly scrape all that steak sauce she uses off hers cause it amounts to the same thing as my ketchup. :lol2: :lol2: got to love that women and how her mind works.

I've always had good luck with Applebee's steaks, I've eaten many of them and none were anything to complain about... When I used to travel for work it was one of the few places I could get a decent meal without breaking the bank