Mutton busting

Help Support CattleToday:

CG1

Reaction score
Anyone put their kids in mutton busting? We bought a herd of sheep last spring to teach our 2 year old and they were all killed by coyotes :oops:. I know very few ppl who have done it but they said to just throw the kid on the sheep right at the event for the first time. I feel like I'm giving him no competitive advantage haha. He's already the youngest in the group. What did you do?

All 3 of mine came up muttin bustin. Local slaughter house, would loan me use of one. I think they killed sheep on Thursdays. I could pick one up on Thursday, and bring it back n any thursday I wanted after that. Even though they were free, I eventually switched to mini donkeys. A donkey can go all day, as opposed to a sheep. We probably have a couple hundred buckles here, and several trophy saddles. I am about as proud of the muttin bustin buckles, as any on the wall. Thats a stage in life, a child has to face their fears. performing in front of an audience, competing against your peers, overcoming failure, setting goals. It teaches a lot. No way I'd just "sit my kid on a sheep". I don't care what the competetion is, send your kid prepared. Teach em to win, and make em hate losing. This world a tough place. Make em hard.

Bigfoot said:
All 3 of mine came up muttin bustin. Local slaughter house, would loan me use of one. I think they killed sheep on Thursdays. I could pick one up on Thursday, and bring it back n any thursday I wanted after that. Even though they were free, I eventually switched to mini donkeys. A donkey can go all day, as opposed to a sheep. We probably have a couple hundred buckles here, and several trophy saddles. I am about as proud of the muttin bustin buckles, as any on the wall. Thats a stage in life, a child has to face their fears. performing in front of an audience, competing against your peers, overcoming failure, setting goals. It teaches a lot. No way I'd just "sit my kid on a sheep". I don't care what the competetion is, send your kid prepared. Teach em to win, and make em hate losing. This world a tough place. Make em hard.

Shoot. Ok. I gotta get my hands on some more sheep. I tried to find someone local to let me use theirs but no luck. I feel like I'm setting him up to fail with no practice. How old were your kids when they first entered? My son is 2, just about 2.5, but he's tough as nails. Entry is 3 but he met the size requirements so they are going to let him enter. I've been putting him on my quarter horse so he feels the ride.

cowgal604 said:
Bigfoot said:

Shoot. Ok. I gotta get my hands on some more sheep. I tried to find someone local to let me use theirs but no luck. I feel like I'm setting him up to fail with no practice. How old were your kids when they first entered? My son is 2, just about 2.5, but he's tough as nails. Entry is 3 but he met the size requirements so they are going to let him enter. I've been putting him on my quarter horse so he feels the ride.

Rode from age 3 to about 6 as best I remember. You may not know, but do they ride with a rope or bare hands? Is it through an association or just as entertainment/crowd draw an open rodeo?

Bigfoot said:
cowgal604 said:
Bigfoot said:

Rode from age 3 to about 6 as best I remember. You may not know, but do they ride with a rope or bare hands? Is it through an association or just as entertainment/crowd draw an open rodeo?

I know the first one he's in is bare hands. I believe the one I have him in this spring is with a rope. First one is with a riders association but I don't know much about it. I just registered him but it was free. The riders association one is in our local community rodeo club and a few times a year they hold an event for mutton busting with their other events. The spring one is our yearly rodeo. Bigger event. People come from all over to compete but the kids for the most part are locals and a few rodeo kids. I watched it last year and I didn't see a single little one make it out of the gate before falling. .

cowgal604 said:
Bigfoot said:
cowgal604 said:

I know the first one he's in is bare hands. I believe the one I have him in this spring is with a rope. First one is with a riders association but I don't know much about it. I just registered him but it was free. The riders association one is in our local community rodeo club and a few times a year they hold an event for mutton busting with their other events. The spring one is our yearly rodeo. Bigger event. People come from all over to compete but the kids for the most part are locals and a few rodeo kids. I watched it last year and I didn't see a single little one make it out of the gate before falling. .

Any hopes this child could branch in to other rodeo events as it ages? Boy or girl?

Bigfoot said:
cowgal604 said:
Bigfoot said:

Any hopes this child could branch in to other rodeo events as it ages? Boy or girl?

Boy. Yes the hope is he will get into rodeo.

Seen couple days ago on RFD. animal rights activists wanting to put a ban mutton busting..and wanting the tie down ropers to use a breakaway ...bet the majority of professionals would just quit if that ever transpired..

ALACOWMAN said:
Seen couple days ago on RFD. animal rights activists wanting to put a ban mutton busting..and wanting the tie down ropers to use a breakaway ...bet the majority of professionals would just quit if that ever transpired..

I was reading that somewhere recently. It's why I opened the thread. I thought it was more about that. They already don't telavise steer tripping.

ALACOWMAN said:

Roping has already been banned at our local rodeo. Most people don't understand the roots of rodeo events. But once you've been around livestock you tend to have an appreciation for the sport.

Latest posts