Mustang Grape Wine Recipe

Help Support CattleToday:

jsm

Reaction score
All,
Hello. I was hoping someone could help me with some guidance on mustang grape wine. It seems there are 2 drastically different trains of thought after talking to a few folks and searching the web. One is to just use the natural yeasts, using about 2.5 gallons of juice and ~10lbs of sugar and do a primary and secondary fermentation. The other is the scientific method, stopping the natural yeasts with campden tablets, using a "wine yeast", then measuring specific gravity pre and post fermentation, stopping the fermentation with another chemical etc.

Does anyone have a good recipe? Any advise would be appreciated as well. Thanks in advance for any help!

Joseph

I don't have one, know nothing about it, but an acquaintance here in E. Texas gave me a big jug of some mustang grape wine he made and it is GOOOOD stuff. He's made it for years and years. I'll ask if he will part with the "recipe". Will also ask my brother, who home brews both beer and wine. (His jalapeno beer is a drink to savor fer sure--placed 2nd in his county fair in Arkansas)

My husband makes it. The only thing that he adds is sugar. The grapes have enough natural yeast to ferment well.
The grapes are beginning to get ripe here : )

I like the scientific method myself because I like consistency. Sugar content of grapes will vary from year to year and the time they are picked. Simply dumping sugar in the wash will pretty much guarantee a fermentation but without control of the type yeast or the amount of sugar your end result could vary considerably from year to year. You can look at yeast like a good bull. His genetics are good for a reason so why not take advantage of it.JMO

All, thanks for the replies. Greybeard - I appreciate it. You can PM me if you don't want to put it out on the board. Sounds like your friend knows how to do it right.

Latest posts