Murrays projects 2021

Help Support CattleToday:

If they raised a decent calf and bred back, why get rid of them?
The ONLY reason I'm considering selling them is they won't have a black baldy calf. They are trouble free. I'd like black or black baldies. The reds just don't bring as much especially selling in a mixed group or otherwise. They are most likely bred for a summer calf as well. My bull was there with them when I turned em out. But that's probly ok too. Just outta sync.

The ONLY reason I'm considering selling them is they won't have a black baldy calf. They are trouble free. I'd like black or black baldies. The reds just don't bring as much especially selling in a mixed group or otherwise. They are most likely bred for a summer calf as well. My bull was there with them when I turned em out. But that's probly ok too. Just outta sync.
If you bred them to a pure or reg Angus or Brangus they can have nothing but black calves.

If you bred them to a pure or reg Angus or Brangus they can have nothing but black calves.
Warren, correct me if.,..........but doesn't a purebred Aberdeen Angus carry both a black and red gene which can produce a red calf
if the cow is a red gene carrier? Standing up an sucking is a bigger criteria to me than color, just say'in LVR

Warren, correct me if.,..........but doesn't a purebred Aberdeen Angus carry both a black and red gene which can produce a red calf
if the cow is a red gene carrier? Standing up an sucking is a bigger criteria to me than color, just say'in LVR
I don't know, Lee. Is that a different registry from AAA? If a cow or bull has a red and a black gene, it would be black,. heterazygous black. If 2 of these are bred, there would be a 25% chance the calf would be black and homozygous for black, a 50% chance it would be black and heterazygous for black, and a 25% chance it would be red and homozygous for red. Only have to have one black gene to be black, but have to have 2 red genes to be red.

A bull change would get me black animals. But not baldies.
There is always that ever elusive homo black hereford eh?

These colored cows have got a lil age on em anyway. Good mamas. Just make the wrong color.

More pics tomorrow!
Lil red will go out with the feeders. She's been living in the trailer thru this weather we've had. Sunny skies and warmer weather is here. Hopefully to stay!

Lil Red (110lbs) and Lil Blackie (150lbs) were bought for less than the price of a good bottle calf. And I ain't gotta feed milk! They've finally quit bawling too. The black one took a couple days to eat at the bunk with everyone but he's got it figured out now. They are both eating hay and feed (14% creep) really good.

Bless their Lil hearts...
Ugly as the day is long. 😆
20220219_164439.jpg20220219_164646.jpg

Shes free! Out of her hibernation in the trailer thru that winter blast. She eats as well as any of em and seems perfectly fine. Definitely the smallest one out there. She was happy to kick up her heels. Wandered around a bit and went straight to the hay bale.
20220227_092011.jpg
Dumbo (the one who would never take milk)
Is still alive. Slow grower on feed instead of milk. Part of it is genetic I'm sure. 😆
He's left of Opal facing the camera.
20220227_092329.jpg
These 2 have an appointment November 8th
20220227_093654.jpg20220227_093708.jpg20220227_093705.jpg
I may start a thread in the butchershop for these two. I know the brown one will make her date. The black one is smaller. I didn't give much for these 2. The brown one would probly make someone a good cow, but I'll need meat by then. Both are purchased animals.

I see you have 5 wires on steel running across the lot. Does that fence get moved very often and how many joules are you putting
through it?. Not trying to mess with what works............

I see you have 5 wires on steel running across the lot. Does that fence get moved very often and how many joules are you putting
through it?. Not trying to mess with what works............
Haha. When I started this lil mess on that acre. I had 2 unweaned calves thrown out there. One of em hit that mess of wires like it wasn't even there. I had em strung up pretty dang tight! Calf didn't get out. And never tried it again. It's been working for a while now. I can't remember the joule rating off the top of my head. It's not terrible high. But it's a 110 unit that was rated for 50 or 75 miles.

Kind of a temporary thing until something better comes along

Red and blue's calves sold today.
They brought near as much as I gave for them as pairs.
Then I sold the cows too. Cull prices are steep right now. And they were really not bad cows. Cows brought more than the calves.

I should be ashamed...

Kinda gonna miss those 2 one n dones. Easy keepers they were...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220220-151647_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220220-151647_Gallery.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20220220-151630_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220220-151630_Gallery.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
Surprised you didnt give the cows another go.😉 But great that the prices great!lol
Went back and forth on keeping them and calving them out.

Gotta get it while ya can I reckon. When the opportunity arises, I'll purchase a couple nice black cows. Gotta get em bought right tho!

Gonna try for mostly BLACK baldy calves next crop. Red and brindle and roan colored cows won't do that for me.

I'll sell the black baldies and update this with what they bring. It'll definitely be better barring something else crazy in the world doesn't happen.

I'm just gonna throw this lil gal in here.
Bought a pair yesterday. Mama was a 6 yr old polled corriente crossbred.
The pair weighed 815, calf is 200 plus
Cool in the ring. Mama tried to kill the man on the horse that was loading. Got the pair in the trailer and mama rammed the side trying to get to me.
Changed my mind. I hauled mama straight to the next sale barn where she politely put 2 boys over the fence. She brings what she brings.

This calf look crazy to ya'll?
20220311_070918.jpg
Got the lil heifer home and decided she's living in the trailer til I figure our what I'm gonna do with her. Put a scoop of feed and a bucket of water in there. Opened the divider gate. She came out like a bucking bull!!
Smashed the water bucket, water flying everywhere, grabbed a bite of feed and drank the water from the air, all in one smooth satisfying fit of rage!! 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

No water for you tonight then....

This morning!
Closed divider gate penning her in the front. Got another 5 gallon of water and a scoop of feed. Came back and she is literally IN the upper feed bunk of the trailer!!

Dropped her feed and water. Opened the divider gate. No smashing this morning. We will see how this mess goes. Perhaps she will sell as 2 weeks weaned in this trailer!

I'm just gonna throw this lil gal in here.
Bought a pair yesterday. Mama was a 6 yr old polled corriente crossbred.
The pair weighed 815, calf is 200 plus
Cool in the ring. Mama tried to kill the man on the horse that was loading. Got the pair in the trailer and mama rammed the side trying to get to me.
Changed my mind. I hauled mama straight to the next sale barn where she politely put 2 boys over the fence. She brings what she brings.

This calf look crazy to ya'll?
View attachment 14226
Got the lil heifer home and decided she's living in the trailer til I figure our what I'm gonna do with her. Put a scoop of feed and a bucket of water in there. Opened the divider gate. She came out like a bucking bull!!
Smashed the water bucket, water flying everywhere, grabbed a bite of feed and drank the water from the air, all in one smooth satisfying fit of rage!! 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

No water for you tonight then....

This morning!
Closed divider gate penning her in the front. Got another 5 gallon of water and a scoop of feed. Came back and she is literally IN the upper feed bunk of the trailer!!

Dropped her feed and water. Opened the divider gate. No smashing this morning. We will see how this mess goes. Perhaps she will sell as 2 weeks weaned in this trailer!
Well what did you expect, you took away her mother. She's all by herself, trying to look out for herself. She sounds quite healthy and agile. Can't help but admire her "spirit". Some ole codger came waddling into the trailer with a bucket, probably scared the heck out of her. "Drank water from the air" :ROFLMAO: I think you should name her "Ricochet". She's a pretty calf, nice clear eyes.

Latest posts