Murray Greys

Help Support CattleToday:

5minpins

Reaction score
I know there are a couple of Murray Grey folks on the board, Have finally decided to go the MG route for my own use. I have looked at a couple of other breeds and thought they would do but keep going back to the MG for one reason or another so I guess I should just go ahead and find two. Wondered what a decent MG cow might go for these days, have contacted a couple of Ranches but so far no reply. Am looking for 2 bred cows or pairs and some idea of what I should expect to pay would be a great help!

Sorry bout that Frankie, I thought it said that next to my name but I guess it doesnt. I am in washington state. there are a few people who raise em within reasonable hauling distance. Have contacted some. waiting on replies. just hoping to have somewhat of an idea about what I should expect to pay.

I too have just started in the Murray Greys and they are a wonderful breed. They are very gentle, calm and docile cattle with good meat. If I was you, I'd look at the American Murray Grey Association website. Annette Puliam from KY is selling alot of good bred cows and they're priced reasonable for this area. Most are 3 n 1 packages....Good Luck!

Thanks Kelsie, I have looked at the websites, I have found some to buy, just wanted to know what an average price for a pair or bred cow would be. The ones in Kentucky...hauling might be an Issue! lol I am on the west coast, cant imagine hauling bred cows that far and what it would cost if I did!!

I recently bought 6 from Annette...yes they are good cattle. Don't want to tell you what I paid out of respect for her but I'll tell you I paid $2500 last year for a "3 for 1" elsewhere. Dam and heifercalf and new baby in March are all exceptional animals. Same farm was selling bulls for $1700...although I didn't buy from them. Hope that helps... my best word of advice is to join the American Murray Grey Association. They are moving to Kentucky so give them a bit of transition time but John Gerow has been wonderful in helping everyone network together. Also, don't be afraid to travel a bit for good animals. You'll love Murrays... keep in touch!! Out your way I'd look into Eagles Run or H Diamond Cattle (I have an H Diamond bull who I think is going to be fantastic). Good luck!!

Wisteria Farms":2y1494u2 said:
I recently bought 6 from Annette...yes they are good cattle. Don't want to tell you what I paid out of respect for her but I'll tell you I paid $2500 last year for a "3 for 1" elsewhere. Dam and heifercalf and new baby in March are all exceptional animals. Same farm was selling bulls for $1700...although I didn't buy from them. Hope that helps... my best word of advice is to join the American Murray Grey Association. They are moving to Kentucky so give them a bit of transition time but John Gerow has been wonderful in helping everyone network together. Also, don't be afraid to travel a bit for good animals. You'll love Murrays... keep in touch!! Out your way I'd look into Eagles Run or H Diamond Cattle (I have an H Diamond bull who I think is going to be fantastic). Good luck!!
Wisteria Farms-

You might mention what your bull's name is!!

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":3cjk3zk0 said:
Wisteria Farms":3cjk3zk0 said:
Wisteria Farms-

You might mention what your bull's name is!!

DOC HARRIS
Well, its "DOC", of course!! :tiphat: He's as good lookin as the original but not quite as funny...
He serenades the ladies better but has a problem blowing snot on me at dinner-time (the bull, not Doc Harris, haha).

Hi 5minpins - you won't go wrong with MGs! In your area you should also try Fred Mastel in Roseburg, Oregon. PM me and I'll send
you his phone. Last I heard he had over 100 pairs on his place, and was quite reasonable in price. I'm the Secty/Treas of the
Murray Grey International Assoc. Our group has 20.00 annual dues, and 20 (canadian) dollar registrations. One of our members,
Eagles Run ranch in Livermore,CA is selling at least 30 pairs/bred females. I don't know what the price is in their area. Their website
is located at: http://www.eaglesrun.com. We sold Annette a herd bull a few years back: Monarch Oak Extra. I had not heard that AMGA
was moving to Kentucky--this will be the 3d or 4th time they have shifted their office location. We bought our Rockliffe Patron
semen from the Holloways in Idaho -- very nice folks. Good luck with your Murrays---I'm sure you will like the breed & all your
beef customers will be happy!!

Since OK Jeanne and I are both recommending the same farms (Eagles Run and H Diamond (aka the Holloways), I hope you'll check them both out. They are BOTH members of the American Murray Grey Association as well as the Murray Grey International Assocation so you can't go wrong with either...I am unaware of how many times the AMGA office has moved...but every member I've contacted has gone "above and beyond" in offering information to help start my herd. They support each other (and thats what I like). I have a couple of Annette's Monarch Oak Extra daughters and they are fine little heifers... keep us all posted and best of luck.

Thanks Jeanne and Wisteria :) I will check out those ones too. all the info provided here is great and very useful. have a couple I have my eye on, will let you know what we decide !