Murray Greys

Help Support CattleToday:

Come to think of it, there are at least two breeders in New York state at Fillmore and Feura bush. In Canada they are in Alberta and british Columbia,Ontario,and Saskatchewan.There are also breeders in Ohio,Indiana,Illinois,Pennsylvania,Wisconsin.
You should not have to look far to find breeding stock. ;-) :cboy:

Susie David":lgdw4aq2 said:
Springer you are one good spokes person. How do they compare in the taste department...comparable to a two year old fed hereford? Always looking to improve. DMc

Dave, we have raised Murray Grey's since the early 70's and always finished them on grass. The meat was excellent. That is another trait of Murray Grey's - the ability to finish on grass only and still provide excellent marbling and a great eating experience! The only reason we are now finishing with corn is because we don't have the pasture available to finish on grass as the ranch has been sold due to retirement. In fact, to be perfectly honest with you, we have given packages of steaks to friends that raised other breeds and they have always commented on how good those steaks were and what animal did they come from. They were rather embarrased to find out those steaks came from an animal that they did not raise. ;-) That feedback came from the wives of the other breeders, occasionaly from the breeder himself, and some of those breeders raised Black Angus cattle.

Bud,

We have a small herd of Murray Greys and currently use a Murray Grey bull on my father's commercial black angus cows. We have a few calves on the ground and if I can figure out how to post a picture, I'll show you what the cross calves look like. Also, I think you are in or near Opp and if so our place is in Chipley, FL and we'd be happy to show you some in real life.

Thanks for the come back. actually we are south of andalusia about 16 miles from the state line(thus the Lower Ala). I would love to drive down when it is convient to the both of us
Bud In LA :D

Bud,
Your welcome anytime. I'll send you an email with my contact info. Here are some pictures of those cross calves (some are out of black baldies and one of our herd sire.
Cowcalf1.jpg

Cowcalf1.jpg

Crosscalf1.jpg

Surprise1.jpg

A veterinarian friend of mine recently went to Arkansas and came back with three MG heifers. (I asked him if they came from you, Springer, but no). I was going by his place this past week and stopped to look at them. Two smokeys and a chocolate. Fine, fine looking. Had a yearling angus bull in with 'em. I offered a grey brahman cow and her six month old angus sired calf for whichever MG he liked the least. No deal, yet. But, I'm not giving up. :)

rkm":63wcjjdh said:
I have enjoyed reading this thread. I bred dairy cows all my life, liked knowing the history on different cow families etc.

I was wondering, most of the mgs seem to be in warmer climates, how do they perform in cold weather?

They do fine in cold weather. We have raised them here in Wyoming for 30+ years and the cold has never been a problem for them.

Nice Calf!
My Hereford heifer should calve March 17 or so with her MG calf- I'll post the pic's- she's getting huge- hope it's just one :)

BTW do they have a normal gestation time? I know some breeds go over and some under.

Susie

I would say that MG's tend to have a pretty typical gestation period-I've had them go a week or so either side of 283 days.

Latest posts