Murray Grey Cows and Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Backbone Ranch

Reaction score
Things are going well on the ranch. The grass is lush, ponds are full, and the calves are growing well. We have just two more cows left to calve and both look like they will calve within the week. Below are some photos from the past week.

This bull calf was born on March 12th at 90 lbs. He is pictured below at 49 days of age. He is an AI sired calf, sired by Cadella Park Golden Boy, a bull born in 1972. We have only had 3 calves sired by Golden Boy, but the two last year were replacements. I definitely think that we will be AIing more cows to him in the coming years.
603_Bull_47_days_2_.jpg

603_Bull_47_days_1_.jpg

This next bull was born on March 16th at 70 lbs. He is sired by our herd bull, BB Uncle Tony, and is out of a 50% Murray Grey x 50% Angus cow. He is pictured here at 45 days. I am going to be really interested to see how he develops.
611_Bull_4-30_.jpg

This heifer was born on February 26 at 74 lbs. She is pictured here at 54 days. She is out of one of our best cows. If she continues to grow out like this and maintains this phenotype, she will be kept as a replacement for our own herd. Her full sister just turned two years old, and she is looking really nice.
604_Heifer_4-22_.jpg

This heifer is another AI sired calf. She is sired by MCC Trigger's Champion, a dark Murray Grey bull from the 1980s. She was born on March 20th at 80 lbs. She is shown here at 41 days of age. Its not the best photo of her, but she is extremely wide and exceptionally feminine.
620_Heifer_4-30_.jpg

The cow below was born in the fall of 2009. She is 50% Murray Grey x 50% Angus. She is the mother of the 611 bull calf shown above. At her heaviest, she weighed over 1,500 lbs. She has been a great cow for us; her bulls have always been sold as commercial herd sires and her daughters have either been retained in our herd or sold as percentage Murray Grey heifers.
DH_Betty_7_years_.jpg

This cow is a 2010 model. She is raising a beautiful heifer calf this year. I hope that she will have many more productive years with us. She is slightly larger in frame than most of the cows in our herd.
OK_Bunny_6_years_.jpg

This is another one of our cows. I would not be upset if our entire herd looked like her. She is pictured here at just 4 years of age. She gave birth to a 68 lb bull calf a day after this photo was taken.
Ozark_Mamie_4_years_.jpg

This last photo shows a 2011 cow with her heifer calf. The calf was born on March 13th at 76 lbs. We will be AIing this cow this year.
WR_Snow_Quartz_5_years_.jpg

I know that this was a lot of photos, but we feel that the calves born this year are some of the best that have been born on the place. What are your thoughts on them?

I love those Murray Grey's. They are fine looking cattle. Thanks for sharing.

OzssieDave19":6lh7okbv said:
Could you imagime putting the right charolais over these cows.. pure muscle

I have not seen this cross in person, but I have seen some photos of a few really nice Murray Grey x Charolais calves. Nesikep mentioned the same thing not too long ago. I think that they would be a really nice terminal cross.

Latest posts