Murray Grey Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Backbone Ranch

Reaction score
We finally brought our herd sire, BB Uncle Tony, back from the breeding center on March 21. He had been down there since mid-September being collected. He weighed 1,645 lbs before we put him in the trailer, but he lost some weight on the 5 hour trailer ride back to the ranch. Right now, he is running with a group of bred heifers that will calve in the fall; we will put them back in the cow herd on June 1st, when Tony goes in with the cow group. Tony is continuing to put on weight on the spring grass. Below are two photos from today. He is now 4 years old. What are your thoughts on him?
BB_Uncle_Tony_4_years_3_.jpg

BB_Uncle_Tony_4_years_2_.jpg

Very good bull! I noticed many smaller framed breeds seems thick and wide but super efficient on low inputs.

This is a BEEF BULL! If he is as balanced Genotypically as he is Phenotypically, you should have a spectacular beginning toward a knock-out herd in the future!

DOC HARRIS

ez14":neaeh9f8 said:
I want to see a murray grey aubrac cross

Me too. I think those cattle would be tremendous.

I have two fullblood heifers I'd sell and you could buy some semen from BBR and give it a go. Or, you could buy a couple of FB MG females from BBR and some semen from me. Or, one heifer from each of us and some semen from each of us and mix away.

:)

JWBrahman":26es7rxd said:
Nice bull. Interesting article about Murray Grey/Silver Angus.

http://www.theland.com.au/story/3802219 ... s/?cs=4932

"Murray Greys are greater than 99% pure Angus..."

That is a very interesting article. I was given this chart by an Australian cattle breeder whose family has been in the Murray Grey business for a long time. It shows the genotype similarity across beef breeds. Angus and Murray Greys share much of the same genotype.
Genotype%20similarity%20across%20beef%20breeds_zpsgxhghvvd.jpg

ez14":3b0olhky said:

I think that this would be an exceptional cross. I have not been able to find any photos of this cross though. I bet the resulting calf would be very well muscled, have great carcass traits, and be extremely efficient on grass.

Backbone - you have exceptional animals AND you are good at taking photos of them! :clap: :clap: :tiphat: That is a great looking bull.

ez14":hztuaz1u said:

Me too! I have an awesome young fullblood Aubrac bull so if anyone would sell me a couple of nice MG heifers we could see how it works out.

I really appreciate the feedback everyone! Starting in 2014, Tony has produced some very nice calves for us every year. He will continue be a large part of our breeding program over the coming years.

Here is a more recent photo of Tony that I took a few days ago. We put him in with the cows this past Tuesday. He weighed 1,760 lbs. If all goes well, we should have 16 calves from him; he will also be the clean up bull for the 10 cows that we are AIing, so we will probably have closer to 20 of his calves hitting the ground next spring. His current calves from 2014, 2015, and this year are looking really nice.
BB_Uncle_Tony_4_years_6_.jpg

Latest posts