Murray Grey Breeders

Help Support CattleToday:

Wisteria Farms

Reaction score
I live in Southern Illinois and I'm looking for recommendation of some good Murray Grey breeders. If you know of bad ones... let me know that too so I can steer clear of them! Any and all input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

OK Jeanne":1w0wqdsi said:
Here's a link to the Murray Grey International Assoc member page, sorted by location:

http://www.murraygrey.org/members_region.html

On the links page, there are some member websites listed.

Thanks Jeanne... I've already visited the site and have the list of breeders in surrounding states. I've contacted a breeder in Ohio who has done well in the showing... I was just wanting some recommendations. I know here though the biggest name isn't necessarily the best person to buy from. Thanks so much!

There is a Murray Grey show at the Ohio State Fair. The dates are August 3rd thru to the 7th, with the show being on the 7th at noon. This would be an opportunity to meet several different breeders and to see their cattle. It would give you those contacts such that you could make arrangements to visit the farms and see the cattle in their working clothes.

Kevin

Thanks Jeanne... I've already visited the site and have the list of breeders in surrounding states. I've contacted a breeder in Ohio who has done well in the showing...

Wisteria just because someone shows doesn't mean they are a reputable breeder.Don't get taken in by that assumption some of the show world is tied up in their own politics.Most of the great breeders don't show, their stock is meant for the real world and the prices they get for there breeders and terminal cattle prove it.

"Wisteria just because someone shows doesn't mean they are a reputable breeder.Don't get taken in by that assumption some of the show world is tied up in their own politics.Most of the great breeders don't show, their stock is meant for the real world and the prices they get for there breeders and terminal cattle prove it.[/quote]

We don't have the time nor money to burn to be
involved in showing cattle. It might be different if we
had kids that we were trying to keep busy and involved
in the "animal business". We do have cattle that don't
need a feed bucket to perform well---you can't always
say that about the "show bloodlines". What may be the
show judges' latest fad might well not work in the
real world of producing quality beef.

hillsdown":2hhk6dh0 said:
Thanks Jeanne... I've already visited the site and have the list of breeders in surrounding states. I've contacted a breeder in Ohio who has done well in the showing...

Wisteria just because someone shows doesn't mean they are a reputable breeder.Don't get taken in by that assumption some of the show world is tied up in their own politics.Most of the great breeders don't show, their stock is meant for the real world and the prices they get for there breeders and terminal cattle prove it.

Hillsdown & Jeanne, I know what you're saying. I met some people down at NAILE (when we were considering a different breed). They did well showing and I liked their animals but I couldnt get past the feeling I was dealing with a "used car salesman"). You have to remember though, I'm new, I have an untrained eye. Its natural for me to want to start my herd with breeders doing well at shows because I have nothing else to go on. But, that's why I asked for recommendations.... I know that other's experience should be valued MORE than fancy websites. Thanks for your input... I really appreciate those of you one these forums who truly want to help.

hillsdown":15avgjqt said:

Wisteria just because someone shows doesn't mean they are a reputable breeder.

And just because someone shows does not mean they aren't reputable, either. There are a number of people who show cattle as a means of getting their name and animals in front of others - that does not make them unreputable breeders.

Most of the great breeders don't show, their stock is meant for the real world and the prices they get for there breeders and terminal cattle prove it.

I'm curious as to why you would assume a show animal cannot perform in the "real world"? Our's certainly had no problem doing it, and I'd be willing to bet they were not the exception, either.

Don't cut and paste to suit your responses ;and I can give you a list a mile long of many different types of breeders that show only and that's all they do.They don't know sh*t about the real world of working cattle.If you want specifics then help Wisteria out and post all your show winnings and the prices you got for all your breeding sales as well as terminals.

No one said that good breeders don't show ;some do.But alot of good breeders don't have time to primp and pamper they are to busy working their herds and putting all their time into improving genetics.

Hillsdown: I think your comments may be a little too general. This was a post asking about Murray Grey cattle, and I doubt you have anything to do with the breed. I on the other hand have been involved since 1984. I know for a fact, that in North Americia, that the people who show Murray Greys are the same people that run the family farms and ranches, there are no 'show only' breeders involved in North Americia! My intentions in mentioning the show at the Ohio State Fair was not to necessarily promote the show cattle, but to give a person another tool for them to use in researching the breed. The good thing about a show, is it brings many breeders together in one spot and their cattle can be compared visually in a side by side environment. If a type of cattle are what is desired, then there would surely be a follow up session on the farm/ranch to see the cattle in the 'normal' environment. If that 'environment' does not match the 'environment' to which the cattle will be moving to, then serious consideration would be necessary on the decision if they are the right cattle.
The second good thing about a show environment is a person can see first hand how the breeders interact with one another, and impressions are made that would determine if that is the person to do business with.
And lastly, if intentions are to be involved in the Murray Grey organizations, then contacts are made and introductions are in place.

Kevin

KEW":1xuc99n3 said:
Hillsdown: I think your comments may be a little too general. This was a post asking about Murray Grey cattle, and I doubt you have anything to do with the breed. I on the other hand have been involved since 1984. I know for a fact, that in North Americia, that the people who show Murray Greys are the same people that run the family farms and ranches, there are no 'show only' breeders involved in North Americia! My intentions in mentioning the show at the Ohio State Fair was not to necessarily promote the show cattle, but to give a person another tool for them to use in researching the breed. The good thing about a show, is it brings many breeders together in one spot and their cattle can be compared visually in a side by side environment. If a type of cattle are what is desired, then there would surely be a follow up session on the farm/ranch to see the cattle in the 'normal' environment. If that 'environment' does not match the 'environment' to which the cattle will be moving to, then serious consideration would be necessary on the decision if they are the right cattle.
The second good thing about a show environment is a person can see first hand how the breeders interact with one another, and impressions are made that would determine if that is the person to do business with.
And lastly, if intentions are to be involved in the Murray Grey organizations, then contacts are made and introductions are in place.

Kevin

Calm down everyone. I've been the woman president of a construction company for 10 years... I may not know cattle but I know life and you are ALL making very good common sense points. Please don't insult each other... I'm only trying to submerge myself in the breed/breeders of the Murrays so I can learn as much as possible. I appreciate all you have to say.

hillsdown":2uk7lws8 said:
Don't cut and paste to suit your responses ;

Did someone piss in your cherrio's this morning? :eek: I'm sorry you appear to have a problem with it, but why would I want to include something that doesn't pertain to my response, or that I know nothing about? As far as I can see, it is simply a waste of time and space.

and I can give you a list a mile long of many different types of breeders that show only and that's all they do.They don't know sh*t about the real world of working cattle.If you want specifics then help Wisteria out and post all your show winnings and the prices you got for all your breeding sales as well as terminals.

Ok, I think maybe I'm getting the bigger picture - you're judging all cattle breeders by your personal experiences? I would think that anyone with a lick of common sense would be able to tell the difference between a pampered, spoiled, over-fed show animal and a show animal that is not and can, therefore, perform in the real world, but maybe I'm wrong on that. I'm not the least bit interested in the 'specifics' you're referring to, but even if I were I fail to see how our 'winnings' could possibly apply. We showed our cattle to get our name and the quality of our animals out if front of people - period. They were not pampered, they were not spoiled, and they still had to perform in the real world, or they were gone. As far as what we received for our breeding stock, terminals, or even culls - that is no one's business but ours.

No one said that good breeders don't show ;some do.But alot of good breeders don't have time to primp and pamper they are to busy working their herds and putting all their time into improving genetics.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe your statement was
"Most of the great breeders don't show", was it not? Too late to start backpeddling, now! It's down in black and white. As previously stated, just because an animal is a show animal is not an automatic guarantee that he(or she) cannot function very nicely in the real world of cattle. It all depends on the breeders/handlers view, expectations, and grasp of reality, IMHO. But, again, I could be wrong on that.

Latest posts