MultiMin 90 for Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

mncowboy

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with MultiMin 90? I thought of using it during calving to ensure the calves have everything going in their favor. I'm currently giving vitamin A,D, and E shots with calf-guard.

I hear from a lot of big commercial and seed stock breeders that it is excellent. It does require a prescription from a vet, in CA.
However, I think that it only stays on board for about 90 days, so repeat injections are needed if they are not consuming minerals.

Skip the multimin, and give a shot of selenium instead. Make it easy for the calves to access mineral and they will consume it. Curiosity if nothing else.

mncowboy":2ie1ma62 said:
Anyone have experience with MultiMin 90? I thought of using it during calving to ensure the calves have everything going in their favor. I'm currently giving vitamin A,D, and E shots with calf-guard.

Putting out chelated minerals has some really good benefits here is the link
http://beefmagazine.com/mag/beef_chelates_cattle_need

I use it on all my cows 30 days before breeding, all my calves at weaning, no need to repeat, the only other time its recomended for cows is 30 days before calving, they recomend once more for hefiers. I dont do it before calving only because its a August when they would need it and there on a good mineral.
Does it work? I dont know for sure but I AI everything and if it only helps 1 its worth it to me.

We tried it, but found we get just as good results with Vitaferm minerals. In the other thread, a great point is made about the environment. If you have poor doing cows, or lack in your mineral program, I think it helps. But it is expensive, and you do need a vet to get it.

I went to a Kirk Stierwalt clinic and one of the first things he told us was to give our calves 1cc of MultiMin 90 at birth. But that's show cattle where each one could be worth anywhere from $2500-$5000 so saving 1 calf will pay for a couple years' supply of the stuff. I am planning on getting a bottle this year and using whatever doesn't get used up on baby calves just like BSE said; on cows 30 days prior to breeding and calves at weaning.

Edit: Last I checked it was about $50 for the small (100cc) bottle. At $0.50/calf it's very easy to justify right now... :2cents:

Thanks, I think I'll try it for the newborns. They have full access to Purina Wind and Rain all season but for .50 cents, I'll give it a go.

All mineral nutrition/supplementation is LOCAL - even areas within a state may have vastly different needs.
It's fine to ask for opinions, but I'd advise inquiring with a local veterinarian or nutritionist, rather than trusting the advice of faceless folks on this board who are scattered across the country(world).
What might be a good practice for you in MN or me in KY, has the potential to be ineffective, damaging, or potentially fatal in other areas, like CO or CA, which may have a vastly different soil/forage mineral profile.

Lucky P which one of these could be fatal in a cow and why, ZN, MN,SE, or Cu or all. When I see the word fatal, really gets my attention. Ive used it for years.
There website multiminusa.com has a breakdown of each state.

It will not replace a good mineral program but with that said anytime I treat something or question the health/mineral status I give it. I won't run cows without it.

I don't like giving a shot to baby calves so I give it to the bred cows (don't like handling heavy breds either) about 6-10 weeks before calving when we give Scourboss 9.

Virgin heifers get it 30-60 days prior to breeding along with a 5L5 shot too.

Cheap insurance for me.

I'm in southern middle TN and want the best program to help cows breed quickly. I have got my season a little late due to a injured bull two years ago. I AI most cows and then use clean up bull. Cows are late spring calving. I keep the best mineral out the co-op provides. I have them worked by vet in December. Is there anything I can add to the program to help with fertility? I have access to co-op products, tractor supply, and Performance feeds.

Cu & Se would be the most likely dangerous ones.
I don't have a clue about the amount of anything in Multi-Min; there may not be enough of either to do any damage.
But, I still stand by my 'all mineral nutrition is LOCAL' statement.
I just provide free-choice access to a balanced mineral supplement formulated for my area.

The thing about copper is there are a number of elements that interfere with it.. From what I remember, they are Iron, sulfur, and molybdenum, but there may be one more as well (Manganese maybe?)

If you're really looking to tweak your mineral program, I'd start with blood tests..

Latest posts