MSU Star Headliner

Help Support CattleToday:

I really like the top calf here. Wish I could see a side shot.

Will see if I can find one. I take lots of pics, it takes me a while to go through them, sometimes I get lucky, it might be easier for me to take one in the next day or so.

Herefords.US":2dwhhsts said:
Rocket, I don't know WHY you'd want to post pictures of all those "sorry hides" from that hard keeping bull! ;-)

George

I asked myself the same question when I was going through picture folder 29 or 30. Why am I doing this :lol:

Not quite what your looking for, but I found it pretty quick. This is that heifer at about three or four weeks old.

DSCN0523a1.jpg

He definately was a sure hit for pigment, bulls that sire pigment and especially goggles like that consistantly is very hard to find, believe me I have been looking very hard for one.

I'd like to see more pics too, I like what I see, what are the typical frame sizes of his get?

Hey, great looking cattle Rocket2222. I am sorry, but I don't like Headliner. If you all do, great, just keep him away from me. He is hard doing and had poor feet and legs, I know, because I saw the darn bull at Star Lakes and don't think I didn't either because I did. The only good thing about him is this, his daughters aren't bad on the eyes, not bad milkers, some have good udders not all like bulls such as P606 or Governor that sire fantastic udders, and he was pigmented, that was all. I didn't like him other than that.

1848, go ahead, give Headline a shot try him out. George, if you like him so much, give him a shot.

THG

1848, Red Oak wasn't hard doing anyways, not like bulls from other programs out west, which I won't name, but could if I wanted too. Red Oak was sold by me to Farno Polled Herefords in OH. If you want, call them and buy some semen.

THG

Outstanding cattle from one end to the other - PUN intended! That is the kind of consistency that ANY breeder, purebred or commercial, can utilize in an on-going breeding program without fear of hitting a snag that is hidden in the gene pool. Why is it so hard for some producers to NOT be able to SEE the profit just sitting there looking at you? Uniform from front to rear, consistent depth of body, GOOD bone and feet, - just darned good cattle. I don't know or relate to the pedigrees of Herefords, but they MUST have more than acceptable EPD's whether one believes in the concept of EPD's or not. You don't get cattle to look like these do without uniform and stable genetics. I am not saying that they are perfect and faultless-NO animal is that. But these will certainly do to use to really start to carve and tweak the genetics with more Superior Bulls and using discerning observations.

DOC HARRIS

rocket2222":2kn0ekvx said:
Best bull I ever owned was a Headliner son, one of those deals where, looking back I should have found a way to keep him. Been thinking about using Headliner on a couple of cows. His semen priced right, also been thinkink about using his sire 517 if I could get hold of some semen for a good price.

What is the word on 517 semen per straw? Very nice photos Rocket2222! Did you not realize the true value of the best bull you owned? For example, if you sold him for $2.5K and feel this way, how would you have felt if you sold him for $20K?

THG":26cr5dxt said:
George, if you like him so much, give him a shot.

THG

Matt, I HOPE I have the ability to appreciate good cattle - regardless of what color they are or whether they fit my own breeding program.

Headliner doesn't fit my breeding program and I don't possess your fickleness.

George

HerefordSire":1dsnlx79 said:
rocket2222":1dsnlx79 said:
Best bull I ever owned was a Headliner son, one of those deals where, looking back I should have found a way to keep him. Been thinking about using Headliner on a couple of cows. His semen priced right, also been thinkink about using his sire 517 if I could get hold of some semen for a good price.

What is the word on 517 semen per straw? Very nice photos Rocket2222! Did you not realize the true value of the best bull you owned? For example, if you sold him for $2.5K and feel this way, how would you have felt if you sold him for $20K?
Rocket2222 and Hereford sire, I know a good friend of mine here in VA that has 10 units of 517. But, it will cost you.

Rocket2222, did you go too the VHA Fall Mid-Atlantic Bonanza Sale? I was told that the sale avg. was $2900. That is pretty good because usually its about $2100. I was told that some of the show heifers brought over $5000. And I was told that the show was great too. I was just seeing if you went or not.

THG

:shock: :shock:

oh and uh THG,

I already had..........he wasn't a problem.....thanks for the advice though

rocket2222":32pg6bb3 said:

Not quite what your looking for, but I found it pretty quick. This is that heifer at about three or four weeks old.

DSCN0523a1.jpg

Rocket,

Some of the best looking Herfs I've seen posted. Very nicely balanced and thick, deep cattle. My only problem is the one you posted above with the red hide..... I never thought much of Fords. :eek: :p

Nice cattle, you have a good program.

Alan

KNERSIE":ius96p5r said:
He definately was a sure hit for pigment, bulls that sire pigment and especially goggles like that consistantly is very hard to find, believe me I have been looking very hard for one.

I'd like to see more pics too, I like what I see, what are the typical frame sizes of his get?

He should not get all the credit for the pigment, at that time most of my cows had at least some eye pigment. Will look for more pics of his calves soon. Calves were in the 5 to high 6's with frame scores.

how would you have felt if you sold him for $20K

A whole lot better.

What is the word on 517 semen per straw?

I heard $200/straw.

Did you not realize the true value of the best bull you owned?

I knew they were decent calves, I have room only for one small herd, so if I keep daughters the bull has to go. so if its a good bull, I still only keep him about 3 years.

Rocket2222 and Hereford sire, I know a good friend of mine here in VA that has 10 units of 517. But, it will cost you.

Rocket2222, did you go too the VHA Fall Mid-Atlantic Bonanza Sale? I was told that the sale avg. was $2900. That is pretty good because usually its about $2100. I was told that some of the show heifers brought over $5000. And I was told that the show was great too. I was just seeing if you went or not.

THG

No, last time I was there, I didn't make it 50ft inside the barn, and someone came up to me and said "they were so glad to see me" I thought, thats nice, then they said "we need somebody to work the chute to the sale ring". So I spent the afternoon working the sale cattle. It was fun though.

rocket2222":2uvyuaoq said:

THG

No, last time I was there, I didn't make it 50ft inside the barn, and someone came up to me and said "they were so glad to see me" I thought, thats nice, then they said "we need somebody to work the chute to the sale ring". So I spent the afternoon working the sale cattle. It was fun though.
Rocket2222, I know what you mean. I have been there before and consigned to the VHA sale. I was in charge of where the cattle were to be in what pens and I made up the charts as to where what cattle went where. I always have a great time though at the sale. It is a great atmosphere, but this year I wanted to go too Grandview and I did. I will be heading home tomorrow and I can't wait to get back home.

THG

DOC HARRIS":2d2u96hv said:
Outstanding cattle from one end to the other - PUN intended! That is the kind of consistency that ANY breeder, purebred or commercial, can utilize in an on-going breeding program without fear of hitting a snag that is hidden in the gene pool. Why is it so hard for some producers to NOT be able to SEE the profit just sitting there looking at you? Uniform from front to rear, consistent depth of body, GOOD bone and feet, - just darned good cattle. I don't know or relate to the pedigrees of Herefords, but they MUST have more than acceptable EPD's whether one believes in the concept of EPD's or not. You don't get cattle to look like these do without uniform and stable genetics. I am not saying that they are perfect and faultless-NO animal is that. But these will certainly do to use to really start to carve and tweak the genetics with more Superior Bulls and using discerning observations.

DOC HARRIS

Thanks Doc.

Latest posts