MSU Star Headliner

Help Support CattleToday:

I saw some really impressive cows out of Headliner at Star Lake. But, Headliner to me is a hard doing bull and his daughters will be also. I really don't like him.

THG

Best bull I ever owned was a Headliner son, one of those deals where, looking back I should have found a way to keep him. Been thinking about using Headliner on a couple of cows. His semen priced right, also been thinkink about using his sire 517 if I could get hold of some semen for a good price.

Can anyone explain to me why the incongruency of these two posts??!? One doesn't like the bull at all - and one likes him very much!

Why the dichotomy?

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":14hso5th said:
Can anyone explain to me why the incongruency of these two posts??!? One doesn't like the bull at all - and one likes him very much!

Why the dichotomy?

DOC HARRIS

Cause they are two different opinions....... :D

I never liked 9401 and I don't like Headliner because of his hard doing females. I don't want to influence my cowherd with Headliner genetics. Rocket2222, I remember that bull you owned, did you ever get him sold? He was impressive to look at, but that is all I would want to do with him. I am just not a fan of Headliner due to those hard doing females. I have seen some that milked and some that didn't. Some of them had good udders and some headline daughters lacked. But, mostly all the ones I ever saw were hard doing and had bad feet and legs.

THG

1848":izfmo957 said:
DOC HARRIS":izfmo957 said:

Why the dichotomy?

DOC HARRIS

It seems like in the Hereford breed (and maybe others) there are many bulls that you either love them or hate their guts out.

The cow I posted a picture of last month is a Headliner daughter and she is really good, easy keeping and milks well. I know of others that are similair. I do think he sired some poor calves also. He does not seem to be very consistant.

tlmcr":2gj4240v said:
The cow I posted a picture of last month is a Headliner daughter and she is really good, easy keeping and milks well. I know of others that are similair. I do think he sired some poor calves also. He does not seem to be very consistant.

What did the cows looks like that he was bred to? Isn't that why some people syndicate their bulls, so that they can control who gets the semen and so the progeny look half way decent? After they have made their money they open up the syndicate sell a pile of semen and then the EPDs all change and a lot of crappy calves so up.

iowahawkeyes":hakoqyn6 said:
tlmcr":hakoqyn6 said:

What did the cows looks like that he was bred to? Isn't that why some people syndicate their bulls, so that they can control who gets the semen and so the progeny look half way decent? After they have made their money they open up the syndicate sell a pile of semen and then the EPDs all change and a lot of crappy calves so up.
VOILA' Here is the perfect example of why it is IMPERATIVE that a breeder really knows what the DAM of a bull (OR a cow) looks like! The dam influences the progeny at least 50%, so just because an individual is sired by "Purebred SO and SO of Such and Such Ranch" - that doesn't mean squat as to what you can expect the progeny to perform like, look like, or BE like!

It seems to me that makes sense!

How about YOU??

DOC HARRIS

CPL":10lx44cy said:
1848":10lx44cy said:
DOC HARRIS":10lx44cy said:

Why the dichotomy?

DOC HARRIS

It seems like in the Hereford breed (and maybe others) there are many bulls that you either love them or hate their guts out.

.............or you like their show cattle and advertizing campaign....or you don't..... ;-)

THG":2t19y0sw said:
I saw some really impressive cows out of Headliner at Star Lake. But, Headliner to me is a hard doing bull and his daughters will be also. I really don't like him.

THG

I suppose you've seen this bull in person in the pasture too.... :roll: As well as his daughters...other then at a sale where they are fat and sassy, or in the field just prior to being sold (still fed out).

I don't think there is a well advertized bull out there, or daughters of that you haven't seen, bought, or viewed numerous offspring of.... :roll:

What happened to that hard doing Red Oak bull you
"supposedly" bought and sold. I bet he has some great daughters in production now too eh?

Your not even old enough to have seen the generations of cattle you read about in the magazines and see info on at the sales........much less form an opinion other then by a photo and how they work in a virtual herd! :lol:

Lord,........I apologize.

Back to the original subject matter of the post.

Headliner has merit in the right combinations. I see him as a positive when viewing a genetic line. I would not overlook an animal because this bull is in the mix. I think he can make improvements in some stock. This opinion is not being resounded through me from others I rub elbows with either.....it's my own. :D

1848":1l1ytu0q said:
THG":1l1ytu0q said:

THG

I suppose you've seen this bull in person in the pasture too.... :roll: As well as his daughters...other then at a sale where they are fat and sassy, or in the field just prior to being sold (still fed out).

I don't think there is a well advertized bull out there, or daughters of that you haven't seen, bought, or viewed numerous offspring of.... :roll:

What happened to that hard doing Red Oak bull you
"supposedly" bought and sold. I bet he has some great daughters in production now too eh?

Your not even old enough to have seen the generations of cattle you read about in the magazines and see info on at the sales........much less form an opinion other then by a photo and how they work in a virtual herd! :lol:

Lord,........I apologize.
1848-

Your perception of the subject of your comments in this thread is EXACTLY the reason I questioned the incongruency and dichotomy of the answer to the original thread! We are off to the races . . . . . . . . . again!

DOC HARRIS

Doc:

You are so right, I will not buy a bull without first seeing his mother and if possible his granddam as well. And I believe you are also onto something when you said we are of to the races......again. History repeats itself.

HCF remarks in: Remitall Herefords

Dec, 2004

Well in my opinion, I would go with the animal that has the Feltons 517 gene in her genetic background. Feltons 517 was a really good bull that made two National Champion bulls; Boyd Heavy Hitter 4007 and MSU STAR Headliner.

Allright, I,m a little T'd off. you'all are off to races, and nobody called me :)

Why did I like my Headliner son. ummmm.

Pasture condition, hard to keep. :)
DSCN0061L.jpg

I think this was his first son, may have been his second, I kept him to see how well his bull calves grew, then sold him to a commercial breeder.

DSCN0427.JPG

Another son.

DSCN0363a.jpg

A daughter.

DSCN0399.jpg

Another.

DSCN0414.JPG

And a couple more that were just grass fed.

DSCN1095AAA.jpg

DSCN1116aa.jpg

HEY if somebody out there finds a bull that fixes everything in everyones herd, give me a call, cus I want a piece of him. Thank You.

Thankyou Rocket! Good looking animals. Glad you were able to post some good examples of him. The length is exactly what I expected to see. Got any bulls for sale..... :D

rocket2222":35dtkh7e said:
Allright, I,m a little T'd off. you'all are off to races, and nobody called me :)

And a couple more that were just grass fed.

DSCN1095AAA.jpg

DSCN1116aa.jpg

HEY if somebody out there finds a bull that fixes everything in everyones herd, give me a call, cus I want a piece of him. Thank You.

I really like the top calf here. Wish I could see a side shot.

Fine looking calves and bulls. JHH

Latest posts