MSR or Bolt action?

Help Support CattleToday:

Kingfisher

Reaction score
They say the Modern Sporting Rifle has become the preferred hunting rifle today. I don't know if that means they sold more of em or they are " neater" or " more reliable" as a pure hunting gun. I've never really used one. I would like to get a vintage Remington Pump Deer Rifle but that's just me. What do you prefer in a game gun?

Although I have one, I still prefer any of my bolt actions or even single shots. But I'm old and stuck in my ways.

Black and Good":3lgx1reo said:
As far as I know they are mostly used for predator hunting. B&G
There are getting to be more of them in larger "big game" calibers, i.e. 308, 6.5 Creedmore, .50 Beowulf, etc.

I had to go look up "MSR" to see what it was. I guess they had to change the name from "assault weapon" to "MSR" to appease the gun nuts. By the way, this is just how I define an assault weapon - full auto. I've read the discussion here about the definition of assault weapon. I've never shot one so I don't know if I would like it as a hunting weapon or not. The biggest caliber hunting rifle I have is a .270 Remington 700 BDL which is a sweet shooting gun. It is a bolt action gun. I have a .243 semi auto that is fairly accurate for the first three or four rounds (rapid fire) but goes to heII in a hand basket after that because of barrel heating. Don't know how you could acquire and hold a target with any degree of accuracy with a full auto weapon but then, maybe that's the point - throw enough lead into the air and something downrange has got to run into it. ;-)

If kt would just find me an ar10 for a decent price....
Lavarancher, how did you turn this in a full auto discussion? The semi is a fun rifle to shoot and for hunting I can see it's place especially in multiple varmints that are on the move. Of course every hunter wants one shot kills, but that isn't always a viable option

Remington 750 woodsmaster auto 30-06. Only caliber i have ever owned for myself. We use a 7mm08 handi rifle for our handi cap hunts and i tell ya, thats a deadly caliber.

I have owned 740 and 742 Remington both in 30-06 and my brother had a Winchester 100 in 308. Now all we hunt with is a bolt action. I was trying to remember the last time I fired more than one shot at a deer and it had to be over 25 years ago. The last 7 elk I have shot I fired a total of 14 shots. All of them were dead with the first shot. They just hadn't tipped over and with elk if they are still on their feet you keep shooting.

Hook":1jx3idf1 said:
Lavarancher, how did you turn this in a full auto discussion? The semi is a fun rifle to shoot and for hunting I can see it's place especially in multiple varmints that are on the move. Of course every hunter wants one shot kills, but that isn't always a viable option

Don't know, Hook. Didn't mean too. Its just when I looked up "MSR" there was a picture of an AR? so I just assumed that MSR was another, tricked out acronym to hide the truth. Again, don't get me wrong. I have absolutely nothing against owning a full auto anything. Heck, I'd like to have one or two or at least shoot one before I kick the bucket.

lavacarancher":13u7x463 said:
Hook":13u7x463 said:

Don't know, Hook. Didn't mean too. Its just when I looked up "MSR" there was a picture of an AR? so I just assumed that MSR was another, tricked out acronym to hide the truth. Again, don't get me wrong. I have absolutely nothing against owning a full auto anything. Heck, I'd like to have one or two or at least shoot one before I kick the bucket.
MSR (Modern Sporting Rifle) is the acronym the industry uses for ARs and their variants. It is used to denote the general acceptance by the shooting world and to counter the anti-gun crowds use of the term assault weapon. If the furor about gun grabbing was as prevalent after WWI the bolt action would have been classified as an assault weapon.

lavacarancher":ssc9goo4 said:
Hook":ssc9goo4 said:

No worries lava. Just because it's an ar doesn't mean it's full auto. In fact, in the msr class almost 100% are semi auto. No different than a 10/22. One trigger pull ,one bullet. Just like the sks, the ak, and countless other weapons.

Hook":3qk88j93 said:
No worries lava. Just because it's an ar doesn't mean it's full auto. In fact, in the msr class almost 100% are semi auto. No different than a 10/22. One trigger pull ,one bullet. Just like the sks, the ak, and countless other weapons.
Contrary to what the assualt weapon crowd thinks, AR stands for Armalite Corp, not assault or automatic

dun":21m7rnt7 said:
Hook":21m7rnt7 said:
Contrary to what the assualt weapon crowd thinks, AR stands for Armalite Corp, not assault or automatic
Yep. And the other companies copy the platform so they can also call them ar

Kingfisher":121p4ose said:
They say the Modern Sporting Rifle has become the preferred hunting rifle today. I don't know if that means they sold more of em or they are " neater" or " more reliable" as a pure hunting gun. I've never really used one. I would like to get a vintage Remington Pump Deer Rifle but that's just me. What do you prefer in a game gun?

Man really only needs three calibers in the safe 22LR, 12 gauge and 30-06.
You pick the platform you can hunt anything on the North American Continent.
I am an oddball I prefer 22LR 16 gauge and 32-40.

Caustic Burno":1677b15a said:
Kingfisher":1677b15a said:

NEEDS, who said anything about needs? As R.C Kirkendal said to me, "There's a big difference between needing and wanting".

dun":397pkmo9 said:
Caustic Burno":397pkmo9 said:
Kingfisher":397pkmo9 said:

NEEDS, who said anything about needs? As R.C Kirkendal said to me, "There's a big difference between needing and wanting".

Well with that said if you needed a MSR for an "all around" gun what caliber would you choose?

Latest posts