MSR or Bolt action?

Help Support CattleToday:

Kingfisher":31nos2z1 said:
dun":31nos2z1 said:
Caustic Burno":31nos2z1 said:
NEEDS, who said anything about needs? As R.C Kirkendal said to me, "There's a big difference between needing and wanting".

Well with that said if you needed a MSR for an "all around" gun what caliber would you choose?
Probably 308. For years that was the only rifle I had and shot tons of coyotes with it. Got to the point it wasn;t really fair. I wouldn;t even remember having aimed it, I would see somethign I wanted to shoot and the gun would go banng and whatever it was would be dead. The last 5-6 deer I killed around Mammoth in california that's what happened.

What caliber? My family and friends are headed to South Padre next week to do some fishing, recreating, and bird hunting. I have two cases of 12 ga shells and a case of 20's. One of my friends asked why I needed so many shells for only a half day of hunting. I told him that my bird hunting philosophy was "throw enough lead into the air and something is bound to fly into it". For me, I think I would chose a caliber whose ammo was cheap because if I had a weapon like that one shot would just not do it. :D

Caustic Burno":1cmw0c1g said:
Kingfisher":1cmw0c1g said:
They say the Modern Sporting Rifle has become the preferred hunting rifle today. I don't know if that means they sold more of em or they are " neater" or " more reliable" as a pure hunting gun. I've never really used one. I would like to get a vintage Remington Pump Deer Rifle but that's just me. What do you prefer in a game gun?

Man really only needs three calibers in the safe 22LR, 12 gauge and 30-06.
You pick the platform you can hunt anything on the North American Continent.
I am an oddball I prefer 22LR 16 gauge and 32-40.

You probably still have what some now call a "sling shot" n the safe. :hide: :lol2: :lol2:

TexasBred":23lo98hb said:
Caustic Burno":23lo98hb said:
Kingfisher":23lo98hb said:
They say the Modern Sporting Rifle has become the preferred hunting rifle today. I don't know if that means they sold more of em or they are " neater" or " more reliable" as a pure hunting gun. I've never really used one. I would like to get a vintage Remington Pump Deer Rifle but that's just me. What do you prefer in a game gun?

You probably still have what some now call a "sling shot" n the safe. :hide: :lol2: :lol2:

CB still has a sling like David used on Goliath. It's his "go to" sling. :lol2:

dun":1u9h94a7 said:
Caustic Burno":1u9h94a7 said:
Kingfisher":1u9h94a7 said:

NEEDS, who said anything about needs? As R.C Kirkendal said to me, "There's a big difference between needing and wanting".
If you want it I think you may well need it. Makes you feel better.
I just bought another S&W. When I picked it up in the store it just felt right. So I figured that I needed that gun so I would feel good.

denvermartinfarms":30xqmxny said:
Calhoun Farm":30xqmxny said:
Hard to beat a good old 30.06 bolt action.
Yes it is. Hard to beat 30 06 period.

I agree on the 30-06. Still have a Remington 740 that is flawless, that model
was hit of miss either great or garbage. Got lucky on that one.
Went to a Marlin X7 in 7-08 for Central Texas deer just for an acura trigger.
Still prefer my East Texas deer rifle in pump 16 gauge, :D
32-40 is a good sling shot.