mowing vs going to seed

Help Support CattleToday:

D Land

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been discussed before...advantages of mowing pature vs leting it go to seed??

If you mow, what is the best point to do that?

Depends on what you want to do with it. If it's thin, letting it go to seed then brush hogging it will help it to thicken. By the same token, if you cut it so thhat you actually cut some lef it will help the stuff that's there regrow better. Once it's gone to seed the nutritional value of the grass starts to drop.

Mowing prior to seeding will also minimize thatch buildup. Thatch can have a greater negative impact than is often realized.

I started doing intensive rotational grazing this year after years of continuous grazing. As a result of crossfencing my farm I found that I have a lot more pasture potential, with the cows being controlled verses going any where they want to. So I let some of my unneeded pasture grow up to seed then cut it down to about 8 to 10 inches, then let the cows graze it, then I cut it on down to about 4 to 5 inches....the residue that cows didn't eat. There is a whole lot of seed potential by letting it head out, but you probably need to make sure it pollinates or it won't germinate.

if you mow the pasture after the grass seeds out youll shatter an spread the seedheads.an as said your pasture will thicken up.

Latest posts