moving through the alley and chute?

Help Support CattleToday:

royB

Reaction score
I know it is easier to move several through at a time, but like last might we had a cow by the corral by herself. When she moved to go into the corral (she thgouthwe were going to feed her) we noticed a limp. She walked into the corral, and into the sweep, up to the end of the alley where she stopped.

How do you get a single animal that does not want to go into the chute? We treid feed, then gentle coaxing with a tap on the rump by hand, then a little tap from a working stick, pull the tail, etc. but never a shock stick or beating or yelling. Finally after a very long time she went in, and it's a good thing since she had a rock in hoof. We cleaned it out, medicated and opened the chute and she would not go out.

After about 5 min, I finally opened the side gate and let her out, but my guess is that was the wrong thing. But she did walk normally so it was obviously the problem.

Roy

instead of just "pulling the tail", twist the tail!

twist tail up and pull toward their head and a good dog wouldn't hurt either! I know what you mean about there being cattle that are too tame!! That's frustrating too!

txag":329iug39 said:
instead of just "pulling the tail", twist the tail!

Exactly. Tail twisting must be done properly. If the animal is in the chute and trying to sull, and you simply grab the tail and try to pull the animal forward they will stand there and stare forward with an "I'm not sure what the human is doing, but I hope it feels good for them 'cause it ain't doin' nothin' for me" kind of look on their face. Nobody is strong enough to pull them forward by using their tail as a handle.

Grab their tail about two thirds of the way down, raise it up and twist it into a circle. Keep warping it around and at a certain point the joints in the tail will not want to go any further. It doesn't take a lot of pressure, just a firm grip. Continue to advance pressure until the animal is motivated. You will find that they prefer advancing down the chute to the discomfort. This will work on 99 out of 100. For the 1 out of 100, put the hot shot on them. (That should start some discussion)

Don't twist tails if they aren't in a chute. If they're loose the steps in the process read like: 1) Walk up to gentle cow and properly twist her tail, 2) observe how cow will kick a lung out of you.

Craig-TX

We twist too. One time I saw on ooolllldddd cowboy bite the tip of the cows tail. Man did that cow move. I WILL NOT bite a cows tail but someone else is more than welcome to.

Personally, I prefer to use a cattleprod when processing or moving them through a chute (or loading onto a truck or trailer). I have a fairly long-handled one (let's me stay out of kicking range), and it definately expediates a stubborn animal.

I've seen a lot of people that prefer to use a cane to 'persuade' them to go up to the chute, but I really don't think repeated walloping is as humane as one quick zap.

Take care.

CattleAnnie":1nse86ax said:
Personally, I prefer to use a cattleprod when processing or moving them through a chute (or loading onto a truck or trailer). I have a fairly long-handled one (let's me stay out of kicking range), and it definately expediates a stubborn animal.

I've seen a lot of people that prefer to use a cane to 'persuade' them to go up to the chute, but I really don't think repeated walloping is as humane as one quick zap.

Take care.

I agree,often,if they are used to the prod,all youo have to do is touch them with it and they move,even if it is not turned on. Cows respect electricity, when you have an electric fence,they are even loathe to move through an open gate, it's almost like they expect to get shocked. :cboy:

CattleAnnie":1c3v1txs said:

Take care.

Careful Annie or you'll have a whole pack of anti-prod folks on your back accusing you of all kinds of mistreatment. We don't use a prod unless necessary but we do use them when they are necessary. So far we haven't had to resort to putting panties on any bulls heads, but if it comes down to it…

Craig-TX

What self-respecting cattleperson doesn't have a cattle prod? There's always a time to use it. I would have given $5 for one this afternoon when my heifer pushed over the wheelbarrow full of 100 lb bags of feed. :mad: [/i]

CattleAnnie":tx6djfo6 said:

Take care.

Same here Use it when needed. Make the wrong action uncomfortable (not moving when asked) and the right action pleasant( don't zap or touch when moving as asked).

Craig-TX":2p1pr8z1 said:
CattleAnnie":2p1pr8z1 said:

Take care.

Careful Annie or you'll have a whole pack of anti-prod folks on your back accusing you of all kinds of mistreatment. We don't use a prod unless necessary but we do use them when they are necessary. So far we haven't had to resort to putting panties on any bulls heads, but if it comes down to it…

Craig-TX

Craig I must be a real heathen cause if a Hot shot doesn't work thats when I let Lucy (Bordie Collie) work them ankes and noses over. Its something great about watching a 2000 lb bull get on his tip toes to get away from a 23 lb dog and go anywhere you want. Back in the tiger days never stepped in a pen without an axe handle.

yep. we have a zapper, too. we like to have it on hand when loading a group in the trailer......keep 'em all moving through the chute so those already on the trailer don't have a chance to turn around & start thinking about coming back off!

they are necessary in moderation. i bought some cows and the guy used one on his cattle all time and they are very wary of chutes, trailers, people. it took several months to clam them down. i have old cow that is slow to load and move, you have to wait on her, i prod them in the flank?
(in front of the back leg). if you watch them they do that to each other to move the out of the way, it seems to help. too tame can be a problem.

jcarkie":1q9dx5gu said:
they are necessary in moderation. i bought some cows and the guy used one on his cattle all time and they are very wary of chutes, trailers, people. it took several months to clam them down. i have old cow that is slow to load and move, you have to wait on her, i prod them in the flank?
(in front of the back leg). if you watch them they do that to each other to move the out of the way, it seems to help. too tame can be a problem.

Totally disagree I can call and pen anytime there is only be one Alpa male at our place and its me. Prod is a very effective tool and attention getter. Cows will load or be loaded there not pets.

Campground Cattle":d8tr5c73 said:
Its something great about watching a 2000 lb bull get on his tip toes to get away from a 23 lb dog and go anywhere you want.

You're right Campground. Watching a good pointer or retriever is a pleasure. Watching a good cow dog is a true joy to behold. The good ones are amazing animals. And like any good working dog, they have way more fun than their master. Did you train yours or buy her turn-key?

Craig-TX

Craig-TX":9xjpp3m2 said:
Campground Cattle":9xjpp3m2 said:
Its something great about watching a 2000 lb bull get on his tip toes to get away from a 23 lb dog and go anywhere you want.

You're right Campground. Watching a good pointer or retriever is a pleasure. Watching a good cow dog is a true joy to behold. The good ones are amazing animals. And like any good working dog, they have way more fun than their master. Did you train yours or buy her turn-key?

Craig-TX

Bought a started dog had the seller bring a national champion dog down and dog break the cows. Lucy has to go back to school again for about a month. She works cows great in a pen or a small catch pen, its time for so more advance training now she is two and has confidence.

We use a hot shot all the time but you have to be careful using them on Brahman cattle. They can get upset and go down and sulk in the chute, then you have a real problem. We had one that the hands hit pretty hard ( we were not around) one time those damn guys had her so worked up that she laid right down in the chute and died. Needless to say they were not allowed to use a hot shot ever again and were let go soon after that.

Too tame is the problem. We have a prod, but really hate to use it, mainly bought it for those that have to and will not load that one last time on the way to the sale. Thanks for the description on the tail twist. I was doing it wrong but saw my vet do it and it worked like a charm. I guess I didn't get the fine details.

thanks,

Roy

Latest posts