Moving Round Bales

Help Support CattleToday:

jhambley

Reaction score
Never used any of the three but I like the looks of the b&w truck mount the best, but I bet it ain't cheap. Could make your own out of some steel and use a 12v winch in the front of the bed to raise/lower it, seen quite a few of them around here.

cfpinz

I'll take my spear over a bale buggy of any type. Like cf said mine runs off of a 12v winch. I do have to take it off when I pull a trailer though and doesn't set the bale in the back of the truck.

It has the added advantage of keeping tailgaters off your back bumper.Z

We have a 30HP 4 Wheel Drive Kuboda (primarily for pasture mowing & loader work) that we can move 1500# round bales with. Over that, we use a Tumblebug hooked up to our pickup. Paid $500 for a used Tumblebug (think they are selling for about $1000 - 1200 new.

Works well for us!

I have a 30HP Kioti but the loader specs are for 1200lb max at the bucket and the bale spear would force the weight out beyond that. I just didn't want to over do it. I know these bales weight at least 1600lbs dry.

Jerry

Friend of ours has a 30 hp Kubota 4wd. It can move heavy bales, but only on pretty much level ground.

dun

J,

I think your tractor could handle it with a regular old cheap type three point hay lift. Might have to put some weight on the front though

Just looked up the spec on the tractor:

Tractor Weight
Weight w/ Ag Tires w/ ROPS 3042 lbs.

Lift Capacity, 24" aft of hitch, lb(kg) 1764 lbs.

I'm guessing I would need a lot of weight up front to handle a
1600-2000lb bale on the back. The bale would weight more than half the tractor's weight.

Jerry

jhambley":1qyj725n said:

Tractor Weight

1600-2000lb bale on the back. The bale would weight more than half the tractor's weight.

Jerry

You might not need as much weight as you think. The engine should weigh a good bit. Sometimes only a few hundred pounds can work wonders on the front of a tractor. There's been many times when I backed up with bales and steered with the brakes on my old ford 4000.

jhambley":216seys2 said:

Tractor Weight

Jerry

;-) A bucket full of dirt or ? should be enough of a front counterweight.
Just take it easy with it and don't raise the bale off the ground more than you have to.

I have a tumble bug. Mine is shop built so it is heavier than most that I have seen but is light enough that I don't even bother with the jack so it doesn't take long to hook up. I have also found that the heavier the bail the better works. I paid $350 for it. If you can't get your tractor to handle it you might look at one.

You might not need as much weight as you think. The engine should weigh a good bit. Sometimes only a few hundred pounds can work wonders on the front of a tractor. There's been many times when I backed up with bales and steered with the brakes on my old ford 4000

Why do you think the old International suitcase weights only weighed 100lbs. a piece. An old 684 we've go kept lifting in the fron end mowing hay on hills and all I had was two weights and it solved the problem

Cypress:

Here is a photo of a Tumble Bug.

tumblebug.jpg

dun":1zppyrl8 said:
Friend of ours has a 30 hp Kubota 4wd. It can move heavy bales, but only on pretty much level ground.

dun

True Dun! Ours has rear wheels extended on same axles by dealer. Only got 3-4" extra. Kubotas MUST be used on relatively level ground (watch for ruts) when carrying a round bale or full bucket. Round bale should probably not be off the ground higher than 12" or so when transporting. Also, always travel with a full bucket low (so you can see over the bucket) and definitely do not make any sharp turns with round bale or loaded bucket on one.

We've had no problems here, but, we are very careful with these small tractors.

I don't think it'll take as much weight up front as you think either. I handle my bales with my 1952 Allis chalmers WD. Some will laugh I'm sure but it was cheap and it's paid for. Here's the specs on it.

Power:
Drawbar (HP): 19
PTO (HP): 26

Dimensions:
Weight (pounds): 3,500
Wheelbase (inches): 88
Length (inches): 127
Width (inches):
Height (inches): 81.5

I have a trip bucket up front and have added about 300 pounds more up front. It handles the bales ok on my place but I'm careful. I'd think it'd be worth thinking about using the 3pt. On the other hand I recent saw a spike/tilt style hay trailer on e-bay go for $170.00. So looks like you have options.

I think you are wise to ask before doing when you are not sure.I think the tractor may be okay if properly weighted but as others have said BE CAREFUL! That means no high speed,watch for rocks,ruts,and other uneven surfaces.If you can, I think you would be better served with the pickup spear or tumble bug then sometime try to get a larger tracto or look into smaller bales like 4'X5's. I'm not running down your equipment I'm just trying to keep you safe and happy.

The Bale Buster is one of the best products on the market for the money with one recommendation:

- replace the stock winch with at least a 3500lb. model (due to road and field travel shock, the stock winch is light duty)

Latest posts