Moving from Pasture to Pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
Could someone please describe the process, equipment, facilities and manpower to move 40 head from pasture to pasture?

Here is the equipment I got in mind -
1. Stock trailer
2. Truck
3. Portable loading ramp

Facilities
1. Portable or fixed loading ramp
2. Portable or fixed corral

Manpower
1. Truck driver
2. Drover (Is it routine that a man can do the loading single handed?)

Process
1. Go out there and do it

What am I missing? How often would I plan to move stockers from rented pasture to rented pasture? Say 40 head on forty acres of decent cool season grass in north east Arkansas... How many times could I hit that 40 with 40 head, per year, average year, some rain, not one of them hard drought years?

Average year with rain, rubbing 40 stockers on feed in 40 acres, I would move 0 times, and if it could be cut into sevarel smaller pieces I would run even maybe a few more.

A lot more complicated then the way I do it. I open the gate and yell come-on and duck out of the way

dun":6wb2ksbp said:
A lot more complicated then the way I do it. I open the gate and yell come-on and duck out of the way
Same here, but I'm guessing his pastures are miles apart.

Thanks everyone - The distance between pastures varies, but normally less than 20 miles.

Here in SW MS you can run about 600 lbs. per acre on ryegrass usually starting in early Dec. Let your

grass get at least 6 to 8 inches tall before you turn in on it. If you have lightweights you need more for 40 acres.

I have seen ryegrass burned down here with very cold weather and high winds in late Dec. or early Jan. Try

to let your cattle eat it down some, and it will be hardier for the winter. Section the 40 off, and you will get a lot more grazing.

Latest posts