Moving a grain bin

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz

Reaction score
What's the best way to move an upright bulk bin? About 17' or 18' tall by specs, 8' diameter I'm told. I have no experience with these things, just bought one sight-unseen at an auction, now need to go get it. More concerned with the best way to lay it over, loading it shouldn't be a big hassle. Any advice would be appreciated.

cfpinz

if there's anything that you could throw a rope over nearby use that to lean it over onto a flatbed trailer and tie it down real good. if you dont have something to throw a rope over use a tractor with a front end loader.

You may also consider using a dump truck or dump trailer. Lean it into a dump bed, tie it to the dump bed, then SLOWLY lower the dump bed. Be careful, many dump beds drop in a hurry with a heavy load and I am not sure how heavy the bin is. It is also very simple to raise it again in the opposite manner. That is the beauty of using a dump bed, raising it with hydraulics and then pulling it upright from 50 degrees or so is much simpler.

Wach the legs that they don;t bend when laying it down. I would rig up some sort of a bracing sysyem from the bottom of the legs on on side o the top of the legs at the other to keep them from folding

Going onto a 27' gooseneck flatbed - no dump truck big enough but that sounded great. There is a JD 6420 w/loader and another smaller loader tractor available. Was thinking of using one to pull it over and one to control the letdown rate.

Thanks for the ideas

cfpinz

cfpinz":2eqisq59 said:
- no dump truck big enough but that sounded great.
cfpinz

You can let some of the tank hang over the top of the cab if you don't lower it completely. Let some of the leg hang out of the bed. Cinch it down thoroughly tho. I've that on a very short haul. Not my preference but it sure makes for easy lifting when you put it back upright.

Front end loader and two flatbeds. Lay the bin down. Throw some straps or rope around the bin and lift it onto the flatbed and strap it down. No big deal but do watch the legs. They are bulky, not heavy.

cfpinz":dk82ds7h said:
What's the best way to move an upright bulk bin? About 17' or 18' tall by specs, 8' diameter I'm told. I have no experience with these things, just bought one sight-unseen at an auction, now need to go get it. More concerned with the best way to lay it over, loading it shouldn't be a big hassle. Any advice would be appreciated.

cfpinz

It is not that hard to dismantle it and transport that way. Safer and less stressful. Call around to the local elevators. They have special "scaffolding" to bolt to the bin sections while you unbolt.
Be sure to switch off with the feller inside the bin wrenching, it gets hot.

Latest posts