Moved house - new garden to care for

Help Support CattleToday:

Halfy

Reaction score
Last year my partner and I moved in together and bought a house with a rather large garden on all four sides of it. The old lady who owned it before us had a gardener tend to the garden every week, but that's too much for us, and we're enjoying finding out what comes out to flower. We have, however, had a gardener now and then to prune back the bushes and trees, remove excess brambles and also make us two "pebbled" areas at the front of the house with only a few flowers and colourful bushes so that will only take the minimum of time to look after.

Most of the garden resembles a park, which I'm so proud of; and we also have fruit growing round the back. Whilst the gardener was sorting through things, he put all sorts of flowers in one place in order to move them when he'd/we'd decided where we'd prefer them planting. That place is now clear again and we're just wondering what we can grow there. It's right next to a new patio we've laid down and about 15' in diameter so I'd like some colourful taller bushes at the back, with smaller flowering plants at the front, with perhaps a few stepping stones so we don't get too muddy when tending to them. Does anyone have any ideas or names of colourful bushes and plants that don't take too much looking after please - any ideas welcome.

What grows here may not grow there. Look around locally. When you see something you like take a pic. and go to a nursery and ask what it is. When you find out google it up and get the info. Plant moisture loving plants together and the same for those that like drier conditions. Plant tall plants behind the shorter. You must decide on the look you want. For example, cottage garden, butterfly garden, or formal garden. You will need focal points, some evergreen and perennials mixed in. That is the short of it.

Sun exposure will play a role in all of this as well..but just off the top of my head...from back to front

Hydrangeas at the back (with an attractive mulch under them)

Columbine, Larkspur, & Snapdragons in front of those

Pansy and Zinnia next

Lobelia, Alyssum, and Alpine Strawberry in the front

In addition to your stepping stone or pebble paths, perhaps a small bench & table or larger rocks (depending on the ambiance you like) for resting & a lovely beverage.

Don't forget some lighting for evening beauty as well
Maybe a small fountain or bird bath too...

Okay...I'll stop now... :)

Thanks for your suggestions - much appreciated.

We have a fountain down the side of the house, close to where we do our BBQs, and we've put some lanterns close by to provide the light. We bought a hydrangae a couple of weeks ago but as yet been undecided where to plant it as they do grow rather large and spread out - which I like. I like the idea of the pansies and snapdraggons - and especially the beverages :banana:

When I've worked out how to download some photos onto here I'll post them so that you can see how things look.

Latest posts