Most Tame Breed

Help Support CattleToday:

Andrew":1nw6iybf said:
Thanks for the feedback. I got six hereford and hereford crosses so I think I'll use those to begin my permanent herd and sell the rest. They also seem to have the better body composition; at least in my herd.

Thanks again.

Andrew

I guess it should be no surprise that I think you've made a good choice. I agree that every breed has its crazies. Having said that, I was raised around cattle, and I have personally seen only two whiteface cows that were mean. One was a Jersey cross that was a milk cow, and the other was a registered Hereford. The registered cow was docile enough, but she didn't like children. The Jersey cross chased me across a holding pen with her head against my rear when I was a boy; she was Grandpa's milk cow, and was that way when she had a calf.

When my uncle took over grandpa's herd, and astonished the old man by sticking first a limo, then a Brangus bull on his Hereford cows, we were never as comfortable walking to the pond to fish after that, because those bulls acted unfriendly. My uncle hired me to feed hay during the winter, and that is one reason I still am not fond of limos. That bull was so aggressive acting when I was trying to feed that I carried a weapon. He would get in front of the barn door where I could hardly get out, and threaten me, especially if I didn't get hay to him fast enough.

I have walked through a number of registered Hereford herds. They have been without exception non-threatening and docile, and most of them you can walk up to and lay a hand on them.

Probably no one wants to hear this but our Longhorns are pretty gentle-I've sold quite a few by leaning up against one of the cows when showing off the herd to a potential? buyer. I hear so many people ask "Aren't they dangerous, won't they hurt you with those horns?" Yep, they could hurt you if they wanted to but so could any breed. It probably all stems back to how they are handled for the most part. Nothing meant against Charolais but we used to have them and they (at least ours were) were much flightier when trying to work them, just didn't like to be handled much or to be herded up into a corral. These were cows taht I didn't raise but got after they were grown.

Last March in Gulfport, Mississippi I was at a Longhorn sale and the prices were good-I guess what I mean is that everything that I wanted to bid on went alot more than I wnted to pay. Well, they bring in one big red cow that cleared all the pens and surrounding area when they let her out. She snorted, pawed, jumped and pretty much acted a fool. But also, I knew that the guy who had her probably hadn't been around her much as he has alot of land and cattle and it's doubtful that his cattle see him very much. So when she came into the sale ring the next day no one wanted to bid on her. She had a good pedigree and nice horns so I didn't mind taking her home for $800.00. One week in the barn lot with some sweet feed and you wouldn't know it was the same cow. Boy did she raise a nice heifer this past year. Now she just stands there and waits for you to put the hay out like everybody else.

greenwillowherefords":2sdq02ep said:
Andrew":2sdq02ep said:
Thanks for the feedback. I got six hereford and hereford crosses so I think I'll use those to begin my permanent herd and sell the rest. They also seem to have the better body composition; at least in my herd.

Thanks again.

Andrew

I have walked through a number of registered Hereford herds. They have been without exception non-threatening and docile, and most of them you can walk up to and lay a hand on them.
I ran off about the time of my third birthday and I was found in the middle of my uncle's pasture sittin' amongst his Polled Herefords and their calves with my head proped up against my Border Collie while I was layin' down. Is that enough said?

As more than one poster has said, every breed has it's crazys. Brahmans & Brahman crosses are very gentle but can be overly protective of young calves or if they've been treated harshly in the past they can be a little "rank".

"Copenhagen & Shiner B" said:
"I ran off about the time of my third birthday and I was found in the middle of my uncle's pasture sittin' amongst his Polled Herefords and their calves with my head proped up against my Border Collie while I was layin' down. Is that enough said?"

My wife and I were checking on the cows two years ago, one was off away from the herd a little ways, a fixing to calf soon. We decided to sit and watch for awhile, maybe 60 yards from the cow. A few of the herd came over to see what we were doing. One (3/4 Brahman,1/4Hereford) ended up laying down within arms reach of us, started chewing her cud contently, acted as if she just enjoyed our company.

I guess what I'm trying to say is even if you pick a "gentle" breed there may be crazys in it and even "wild" breeds have pets in them. You have to cull according to your tolorance / comfort level regardless of what breed you choose.

By the way,
# 3 cow looks more like a Braford to me.
# 4 cow looks like shes on the downhill side.
# 1 looks like she has wheels starting to grow on her to me.

;-)

As TLCfromARK says:

I have no idea what a Braford looks like - they do not exist in my part of the world - so will take his word for it.

Toss the bag of bones if she does not flesh up "real quick" and re-invest the money in another animal.

Probably the best thing to do is toss the aggressive animal before an accident happens. Real soon!

Bez

Bez":3eav1j0k said:
As TLCfromARK says:

I have no idea what a Braford looks like - they do not exist in my part of the world - so will take his word for it.

Toss the bag of bones if she does not flesh up "real quick" and re-invest the money in another animal.

Probably the best thing to do is toss the aggressive animal before an accident happens. Real soon!

Bez

A Braford is 5/8 Hereford & 3/8 Brahma
A lot of people refer to them as "tigerstriped"

;-)

The cow in Pic #1 is supposed to be a brahma cross but that's all I know. The guy that sold it to me said she was bred to an Angus bull. However, her calf is all red. I guess it must have been a red Angus. Also, that cow has her ears cut. It seems to me that she had much longer ears but it looks like someone just took a knife to them. She looked really fleshy before calving and now she's thinner as her calf is getting bigger.
The cow on Pic #2 supposed to be from a registered polled hereford farm but I didn't get any papers with her. She was supposedly sold because of her horns.
#3 is a mystery to me. She's supposed to be a hereford cross and bred 3 months when I bought her in May of last year and she's had no calf yet.
#4 was very skinny when I bought her in August and she has put on some weight but still looks very thin. I have no idea of her age but she has long ears. The guy that sold her to me bought her at an auction.

I'll take some better pictures and post them.

Thanks,
Andrew

Andrew-
1 may have had her ears notched for identification purposes or more likely ripped her ears with an eartag. cant see her ears well enough to say. next time you get close to her (lol) snap a shot. I'd would send her to town.

2 looks and sounds like a keeper.

Latest posts