Most Tame Breed

Help Support CattleToday:

Andrew

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm new to cattle and would like to know if anyone has any opinion as to what the most tame breed would be from the list below:
Angus
Brahma
Brangus
Hereford
Beefmaster
Charolais

The reason I ask is because I have at least one of the above cows. When I started out about a year ago I heard so much about different breeds that I wanted to find out for myself and thus bought the cows from different places. None are registered. I'm just going by what the sellers told me.
I want to keep cows that are the least mean. I've already been chased by one of my brahma cross twice and it wasn't fun. But I don't know if it was just that individual cow or attributed to the breed. Someone one another post said brahmas will be aggressive at times. None of the others even act threating but it may just be because some don't have a calf yet. I've found that herefords to be quite friendly and the least aggressive even with a newborn calf.
However, I would like to hear from more experienced cattle people.

Thanks,
Andrew

herefords are considered one of the most docile breeds, even though I've seen some killers. There are nuts in every breed. from my personal experience bramers and bramer crosses are the highest strung

I agree that all breeds have their nuts and their angels and their 'tweeners. I have had Brahman F1's that will eat cubes out of a kid's hand out in the pasture, and same type crosses that glare at you over the fence and won't let you in the pasture! Most breeds claim some degree of docility. And most breeds claim good mothering instincts - which may mean that they'll chase your hiney into the truck. You've just got to look them over, get to know them, and make your own picks.
Maybe there ought be a docility EPD? :roll:

i would say the most docile, in general, of the ones listed would be beefmaster, hereford, and angus.

i would say the most protective moms, in general, would be the brahman and brangus.

i would say the most likely to pull a deranged postal worker on you would be a charolais, brangus , or brahman.

Thanks for the feedback. I got six hereford and hereford crosses so I think I'll use those to begin my permanent herd and sell the rest. They also seem to have the better body composition; at least in my herd.

Thanks again.

Andrew

dun":1u2m3wjh said:
docgraybull":1u2m3wjh said:
Maybe there ought be a docility EPD? :roll:

limos have one

dun

Geez, of all the breeds to have one.....I wonder what the baseline was?:lol: Just kidding! Thanks Dun, I'd never heard that.

docgraybull":1ekqyu87 said:
Geez, of all the breeds to have one.....I wonder what the baseline was?:lol:

I've alwasy figured that breeds had EPDs for either their strong points or their weaknesses. With limos you sure know it isn't the former

dun

I love the disposition/gentleness of our Red Angus cattle
family.jpg

baby.jpg

Okay, these are some of the cows:
This is the one that chase me. This pic is about 1 months before she calved. She's supposed to be a Brahma X:
MEANCOW.GIF

This is a horned hereford:
hereford1.gif

This is a polled hereford:
hereford2.gif

This is a another Brahma X:
brahmax1.gif

Once again, I'm going by what the sellers told me.

Andrew

1- looks like she could be mean
3- doesnt look like a polled hereford, maybe a polled hereford cross, looks like it has some brahman in it too. is that the one that is your avatar?
4-looks like it might be a beefmaster

Agree with most comments above. #3 might be a tigerstripe that didn't stripe up, i.e. 50/50 Hereford and Brahman that, since it did not stripe up, is sometimes referred to as a "chocolate brown"

#1 has the "look" of a potentially more agressive and/or protective cow. Probably at least 3/8 Brahman; maybe even a Beefmaster with a hotter than normal temper.

#4 might need a good dose of IvomecPlus. At the time of the picute was she nursing a big calf or recently weaned it? A bit odd that she is in such poor shape relative to the others, assuming she has been running on the same ground with them for some time. What's her age? Looks to be plenty of forage, so even if she is a SS or brokenmouth she ought to be able to stay in relatively good shape in that pasture.

I could see #3 being a beefmaster or beefmaster cross too.
Am also curious about #4. I suspected she was a senior citizen (SC?) as well or either had weaned a big calf. They may have just been turned in on that lush pasture though? the others are in better shape which leads me to believe she is older.
i would say #1 has brahman and angus in her. no telling what else. keep the pictures coming all.

Beefy":38qkuvfr said:
1- looks like she could be mean
3- doesnt look like a polled hereford, maybe a polled hereford cross, looks like it has some brahman in it too. is that the one that is your avatar?
4-looks like it might be a beefmaster

totally agree on #3 may have a polled Hereford grandma .
#1 looks like some of my old Tigers fight a circle saw.
Most everthing you have is Brahman influence.

The quietest and gentlest cattle I've ever had are Brahmans.. but there can definately be individuals in the breed that are ornery and mean. It seems that they are either one way or the other, rarely inbetween.

Simmentals are also very docile.. I can't recall ever having to ship one for a disposition problem.