Moss on an older apple tree

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
We bought our property about 5 years ago and since have been recapture it foot by foot, We have about 40 of 70 acres recaptured and used for pasture. I found a good ol apple tree that has given us some sweet apples the last couple of years. Last year I pruned it back since I doubt it had been done in the last 20 yrs if ever, didn't expect much for a apple crop that yr and didn't get much. It has always had alot of moss on it but this year seems extreme, any spray or anything I can do to kill the moss with hurting the tree or this years crop? It is probably liken (sp) since it appears to be mostly moss but has some white liken like fungus on it also.

Thanks,
Alan

I'd take some of the moss to your local nursery - they can then identify the particular type of moss and tell you how to handle it

sounds like you may be talking about the white/gray/green lichen that grows on wooden fence post tops? if you look it has tiny red "flowers". dont know how to get rid of it.

Alan":33ej0ras said:
We bought our property about 5 years ago and since have been recapture it foot by foot, We have about 40 of 70 acres recaptured and used for pasture. I found a good ol apple tree that has given us some sweet apples the last couple of years. Last year I pruned it back since I doubt it had been done in the last 20 yrs if ever, didn't expect much for a apple crop that yr and didn't get much. It has always had alot of moss on it but this year seems extreme, any spray or anything I can do to kill the moss with hurting the tree or this years crop? It is probably liken (sp) since it appears to be mostly moss but has some white liken like fungus on it also.

Thanks,
Alan

Alan, I'm not sure if this will help or not, but thought I would post it anyway and let you decide.

http://counties.cce.cornell.edu/allegan ... /Trees.htm

Lichen doesn't harm the tree or other plants in any way at all. It is something that can't survive in polluted air at all. Won't grow in most cities. It will grow right on rocks and boulders too. It is a sign of good country air. Everyone should be lucky enough to have it on their trees. Now if you start seeing reindeer then you might consider getting rid of it.

I really enjoy Jerry Baker books and like his methods of fertilizing, weed control, etc.... using products you have in your home.

Here's from page 251 of his book, "Great Green book of Garden Secrets"

Lichen and moss. If your tree has a patch of greensih gray substance on the trunk, its not a disease, its a patch of lichen or moss, the same vegetation that grows on rocks. A tree's bark is rough enough for lichen to cling to without needing to secrete an acid to cause crumbling as it does on rocks. So no damage occurs.
Moss is quite harmless to the tree. To remove moss, mix up a solution of 1/2 cup bleach and 1/2 cup liquid dish soap in 1 gallon of warm water. Apply it lightly several times until the moss dies.

I've had the displeasure of meeting J Baker. He's a class A jerk.
IMHO. Yes you could mix up a bleach solution to kill moss and lichen on your trees, but there isn't any good reason to kill it. In fact if you use too much and it soaks into the soil, it's possible to do more damage to your tree and other plants in proximity. I have found his books and ads very useful to line the bottom of bird cages, as well as starting the woodstove.

Latest posts