Morons!

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
I went to the local Wallie World distribution center the other day to apply for a job. Everyone applies on computers in this little room. The application is largely touch screen, which never seems to work after 5000 people have used it over the years. Anyway, we are all in there wrestling with the screens when this guy comes in there with a woman, I'm assuming his wife, and she proceeds to tell him EXACTLY how to fill out the app. Right down to his ethnicity. I don't know, looked like a white guy to me, but whatever.

Anyway, they are talking in normal to loud voices. I'm casting a couple of glances their way, like, take a hint, quit talking so loud. Of course, they don't do hints.

Finally, I am down to the section where they are asking the questions about safety and honestly and all that stuff and I am having to concentrate to read the screen an I've had enough of them, so I turn to them and ask if they could hold it down cause I was trying to concentrate.

Whereas dumb-as-dirt guy says, "Well, I guess you've never filled out a job application before!"

I can't resist now. "No, but at least I didn't need to bring someone to help me."

They were quiet then. I don't understand what happened to manners. I don't understand why someone would bring his or her spouse into a workplace to fill out an application. I don't understand why they thought it was okay to talk out loud about it. When I was a hiring supervisor, no way would I have even interviewed that moron.

But I figure he'll probably get a job. Look for him to screw up inventory at a Wal Mart near you. He'll be the one with his wife on the forklift with him.

Seems like more and more of them (morons) around these days. Manners, common courtesy and respect for your fellow man is becoming more of a thing of the past.

Ya' know, Lammie, I don't know why I'm surprised at this, but I guess I am. I mean, the very idea of bringing someone with you to fill out an JOB app...and the woman tells him what to write. I can imagine their home life :shock:

Amazing!

Alice

mdmdogs3":3i142hjl said:
nephew took his girlfriend to apply for a job too - guess what - he didn't get a job :roll:

Imagine that! Think he learned anything from the experience?

When I was a hiring supervisor, I had people to bring their kids, wives, more than one family member and friends, to INTERVIEWS! Why would anyone think that I would hire someone with a baby on their lap? Not that I don't like babies, but if you can't get someone to watch the baby while you go to a 30 minute interview, then are you going to be able to find child care for work? And believe me, it was not the kind of environment for children. We had sex offenders who came there for training and counseling.

I also had a guy who came in and leaned back in his chair, propped up his feet and had the gall to ask me how much time he would have during the day to make personal phone calls.

I told him that I didn't pay people to do that. And that I didn't want anyone tying up the lines on breaks or lunch. And that you could use you cell phone, but they stayed in cars or lockers during work time. I pretty much cut off the intervew at that point. He called me two weeks later and wanted to know why I didn't hire him. Some other department where his brother-in-law was a supervisor hired him. He lasted about two weeks.

I started saving the really stupid applications, blacking out the personal info and using them in job preparation classes for the clients. This is what NOT to do.

Don't complain about illegal immigrants getting your jobs. These morons are everywhere, they were born here, and they are out applying right now!

I've always thought a Personnel Manager would be an interesting job. I'd like to be in charge of hiring and firing.

That guy you speak of will propably get hired before you do.
Big companies like Wall-Mart do not want thier employees to be to smart. Wall-Mart is fighting against being unionized. They do not like thier employees to speak out against them about low wages and very poor health insurance.

Could be this guy couldn't read. Maybe he had been there before and realized he didn't know how to operate a computer even though it was touch screen.

I have had folks play the sympathy card on me. That usually is a definite no.

I had skirts get higher and higher as the interview goes on.

I have had folks try to play race cards on me. That is a definite no.

I have actually had folks try to emulate my southern accent during the interview. That is a definite no. If ya don't have it don't fake it.

flaboy-":155wtgt2 said:
Could be this guy couldn't read. Maybe he had been there before and realized he didn't know how to operate a computer even though it was touch screen.

I have had folks play the sympathy card on me. That usually is a definite no.

I have had folks try to play race cards on me. That is a definite no.

I have actually had folks try to emulate my southern accent during the interview. That is a definite no. If ya don't have it don't fake it.

Flaboy,

how come the only one that was NOT a definite no was...

Tsk, tsk, tsk...

Alice

Daily, I get folks who bring their wives, girlfriends, boyfriends, extended families etc., especially their kids to apply for jobs. The kids run wild in the lobby, turn over chairs, stick things into the DVD player where we do orientation videos, cry and raise holy h*ll so that everyone else who is applying can't concentrate on their paper work. I have finally started telling people when they come in with their children that we're happy to take their application but they'll need to come back without their children. We especially have non English speaking people come in with their 8 and 10 year old children to help fill out their apps. The kids have been to school here and have learned to read and write in English. Sometimes we put these people to work but it's hard to do that because if they can't read or understand English they also can't understand safety hazzards in the work place and can easily get injured on the job.

You know, it occured to me that maybe the guy couldn't read. And I have met some really great folks in my life that couldn't for whatever reason. There are jobs they can do. But not that one. It definitely involves having to know how to read. Think of what a safety hazard that could be in warehouse! A guy on a forklift that can't read the safety signs, or how to operate equipment, or what items to load on what truck.

Rockspings, I have no intention of putting on the blue smock! I was applying at the distribution center. Along with my many other talents, :shock: I also am a forklift driver. Of course, that and 4.00 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks, but I was trying to get on part time in the warehouse. Just looking for something that does not involve having so supervise said morons! The pay is decent and I could be home part of the time for the farm and the son.

Yes, Wal Mart exploits their workers big time. I used to be an area manager at a Target and it was absolutely the worst job on earth. And I was considered an executive! Never home, 18 hour days, everyone hated their jobs, all the other managers were fooling around on their spouses, there was sexual harrassment out the ying yang, and I'm pretty good natured about that sort of thing. I'll never work at a retail outlet again!

Years ago I got a letter from a woman looking to get a contract we were awarding. Th letter started out: I am a 55 year handicapped black woman...............

Alice":3hzzam0g said:
Flaboy, how come the only one that was NOT a definite no was...

Good eye Alice! That's probably the interview that takes a little longer than usual.;-)

dun":32vjgum0 said:
Years ago I got a letter from a woman looking to get a contract we were awarding. Th letter started out: I am a 55 year handicapped black woman...............

How about, "my car's always in the shop..." or better yet, "I take so and so for my bi-polar disorder."

I can't ask them about it if they don't mention it, but by golly, once they mention it, it's fair game in the interview! And I did hire the woman who said she was bi-ploar, and she ended up in the mental ward. I didn't discriminate! :roll:

Spent alot of time reviewing resumes, scheduling and conducting interviews and some of the primary facts that I looked for were length of employment...four employers in three years was not good, graduated high school three years ago and has the background of a astrophysicist...not good. Basic grammer and writing skill...sometimes the skill actually matched the applicant. Copied resume...immediate round file.
Accompanied by a family member or friend to interview...needs alot of explaining...and it needed to be real good.
Dressed like a street kid...get a street job. Good firm handshake. looked me in the eye...off to a real good start, I'm ready to listen to why I should hire them.
Just my two bits worth....DMc

A6gal":2uoa4bdq said:
I've always thought a Personnel Manager would be an interesting job. I'd like to be in charge of hiring and firing.

Taking care of good hands is a good thing.

Firing anyone is not a good experience. Plus now days you have to be a lawyer and document every little thing just in order to be able to fire a sorry worthless problem. So it seems the screening process is heavily refined. Once they bring someone in, Managers half expect you to thank them for "finding" this asset. Sometimes you need to delete the "et" from the end of that.