Morons!

Help Support CattleToday:

My favourite recent applicant for a position on the pig unit;
Previous work position: Mc Donalds
Reason for leaving: Work was too hard!
I don't know what he thought he would be doing on the farm,and I wasn't prepared tofind out.

Andybob":3i2ivqqy said:
I don't know what he thought he would be doing on the farm,and I wasn't prepared tofind out.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I quess you have to at least give him a point for being honest! Stupid and lazy but honest..

Chris

Andybob":35mj31g6 said:

:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This guys mom probably helped him fill out application when he was young so now the wife/girlfriend has to help him.

I can not believe how many times over the years I have had phone calls from Moms and wives about pay, days off, schedule etc. of employees.

I always tell them I will not talk to them about anything. The teen/husband works for me not them. If they are old enough or man enough to cash the check then they should be when they have a problem, and talk to me themselves.

Even had a dad come out going to beat me up because I fired his son, He was a big mean looking fellow, I told him his son was the one that worked for me so I would have to fight him instead ;-) :lol: ....Just kidding on the comment of fighting the son, but the dad wanting to wup me did really happen.

Miss Daisy":3u4pnqud said:
ffscj":3u4pnqud said:
I quess you have to at least give him a point for being honest! Stupid and lazy but honest..

2 points on the app for honesty!!! :lol:

Sorry couldn't give 2 points, stupid is an over whelming -10.

Alan

I agree mostly with Susie David, if you decide to fire don't look back. I did the corporate game for about 20 years, I learned to hate the paper trail that you had to have to do anything with an employee, just to have a snot nose MBA question your thoughts. Had one guy keep showing up to work drunk or smelling of beer, HR didn't want to fire him they wanted to offer him help... told them the drunk was my problem, but they sure could transfer him to HR.. didn't go over well.

My wife and I have owned or own business for the past 8 yrs, we have 9 staff members. I love the aspect of not having to have a ton of documentation to promote or fire someone, I just do it.

Alan

Okay, one more, I wish I would have seen this thread a few days ago.

When I hire, the reception is instructed to observe the applicant when they drop off the application ( having boyfriends, girlfriends, hubby's or wives, help with the app won't make it. It's my business... all staff members must have a working brain). When the applicant drops of an application, after they leave the staff rates them on a 1 to 10. The rating is on overall appearing, eye contact, and communication skills. I don't mind casual cloths, but don't drop off an app in a swimsuit, or wearing sunglasses inside, clothes to show off your great (in your mind) body or tattoo's.

I only interview 8's to 10's that pass the application screening. No major spelling errors, readable handwriting (not good handwriting, I just have to be able to read it). And a decent job history, 4 jobs in 3 yrs is not good for me either. Upon interview, they need to be on time, dress like they want the job and not have major job restrictions.

By the way, my favorite interview question goes like this. I inform them they need to have basic math skills and then I go into a speech about handling stress on the job, there is a small to med. amount of stress in our field from time to time. I look them in the eye and ask how they handle stress, they always say they handle it well. Now they are ready for the question, what is 4 times 13? then I just look at them and say nothing, just wait for the answer. Talk about stress for the applicant, I not only get to see how they handle stress, but I get an insight to their thought process, can they logicly figure out 4x13. Most of the time they speak out load while figuring out the problem, for example a logical way to figure it out goes like this; 4x13... 4 times... is 40... 12 it's 52. A statement or mumble like that tells me they are using their brain and they can handle stress. By the way more than 90% get the answer wrong, so I have grown to depend more on how they handle stress and their thought process than their incorrect answer. I then explain the reason for the question.

Never had one hike their dress up :( maybe I'm too ugly :(

Alan

Alan":2xb5sqkz said:
Okay, one more, I wish I would have seen this thread a few days ago.

When I hire, the reception is instructed to observe the applicant when they drop off the application ( having boyfriends, girlfriends, hubby's or wives, help with the app won't make it. It's my business... all staff members must have a working brain). When the applicant drops of an application, after they leave the staff rates them on a 1 to 10. The rating is on overall appearing, eye contact, and communication skills. I don't mind casual cloths, but don't drop off an app in a swimsuit, or wearing sunglasses inside, clothes to show off your great (in your mind) body or tattoo's.

I only interview 8's to 10's that pass the application screening. No major spelling errors, readable handwriting (not good handwriting, I just have to be able to read it). And a decent job history, 4 jobs in 3 yrs is not good for me either. Upon interview, they need to be on time, dress like they want the job and not have major job restrictions.

By the way, my favorite interview question goes like this. I inform them they need to have basic math skills and then I go into a speech about handling stress on the job, there is a small to med. amount of stress in our field from time to time. I look them in the eye and ask how they handle stress, they always say they handle it well. Now they are ready for the question, what is 4 times 13? then I just look at them and say nothing, just wait for the answer. Talk about stress for the applicant, I not only get to see how they handle stress, but I get an insight to their thought process, can they logicly figure out 4x13. Most of the time they speak out load while figuring out the problem, for example a logical way to figure it out goes like this; 4x13... 4 times... is 40... 12 it's 52. A statement or mumble like that tells me they are using their brain and they can handle stress. By the way more than 90% get the answer wrong, so I have grown to depend more on how they handle stress and their thought process than their incorrect answer. I then explain the reason for the question.

Never had one hike their dress up :( maybe I'm too ugly :(

Alan

Dang it, Alan...I got to that 4x13 question, immediately started with 3x4=12, carry the one, 52!, then went back to finish what you'd written and I'd lost my place. Now, me losing my place when I'm reading something...that's stress!

Alice

I manage a group of about twenty...when I was moved into that position, I inherited quite a bunch of misfits. I lost 60% of the staff in about three weeks and was that a stressful month. My favorite was the one that came in on Monday morning and said was quitting because of an internet sex addiction... :shock: Had been bindging all weekend and could not get along with other people afterwards...

Like ya'll, I have heard and seen most every type of individual, but that was my first for that one... :roll:

I interview with the head of HR and she has finally figured me out. I am a people person. Skills I can teach...personallities will never change. If I do not feel you will fit with the group, I could care less about your experience, knowledge, or skillset.

I recently had an employee, already having attendance trouble, that found a kitten on the way to work. So, just put it in a box and put it under the workbench... :mad: When I instructed this person to get rid of it...took it home...without telling anyone...just disappeared! Didn't even clock out...GONE!

I guess it is a given anymore...the further up you move, the less work you get done because of the paperwork required to deal with the people...Personally, I would rather concentrate of the business at hand.

Van