Morels

Help Support CattleToday:

As a yonker we had some friends around Woodinville that some years would have a good crop and some years a bust. That was the only place we ever found many. We had a small patch on our old place here but rarely found enough to be worth while.

Our general area is great, a lot of people find hundreds upon hundreds of them. My particular place isn't that great. If I can find a few dozen it's been a good year.

Lots of them around my area in MO. I've found a few on my place and lots on a couple of rent farms with creek bottoms. I love to eat them. We wash them in egg and milk and then roll in flour and a cornmeal seasoning. Deep fry them until they float. My mouth is watering just thinking about them.

If you like them, you also need to try chicken of the woods and oyster mushrooms. Willow and white oaks are good places to find them.

Was told by the previous owners that my place was a hot bed of morels, but I've never been able to find more than a few.

I like to eat them.

J&D Cattle":2d3mqhfh said:
Lots of them around my area in MO. I've found a few on my place and lots on a couple of rent farms with creek bottoms. I love to eat them. We wash them in egg and milk and then roll in flour and a cornmeal seasoning. Deep fry them until they float. My mouth is watering just thinking about them.
we cook them same way.now you got my mouth watering too!

Atimm693":13noxx4e said:
Was told by the previous owners that my place was a hot bed of morels, but I've never been able to find more than a few.

I like to eat them.
There's a window of time when they are out, so find out from the locals when they are out,then go looking around old stumps.Good luck!

There was no alternative but to google. Never seen them. Never heard of them. But at the prices they are quoting, I am hoping I never mowed any down. There are tons of "shruuuums" in the woods and piles after a heavy rain. Especially during hot days. Henceforth we will be paying closer attention to them.

backhoeboogie":2l9gruz3 said:
There was no alternative but to google. Never seen them. Never heard of them. But at the prices they are quoting, I am hoping I never mowed any down. There are tons of "shruuuums" in the woods and piles after a heavy rain. Especially during hot days. Henceforth we will be paying closer attention to them.
Boogie I think all we have are "toad stools"....as Dash said, probably make you see green monkeys on the TV or green frogs on the ceiling. :lol:

backhoeboogie":kt01q2yg said:
Eating any kind of "shruuums" without knowing they are safe can be deadly-be careful! :shock:

Look in areas where there are dead elm trees laying on the ground or old elm stumps. We have tons that have been downed over the last few years because of dutch elm disease. Our morel season here is about one week, right in the middle of may. They are awesome, and worth some serious cash! High end grocery stores will sell them for over $100 a pound....of course one pound is a lot of mushrooms!

On our place, hardly any. At a friend's place, some years we were able to fill a bag or 2, the size of a pillowcase, other years not so much.

Around here, they're most commonly found near Poplar trees, if there's lots of Pines, there won't be Morels.

Find them in the cottonwoods down along the river in the spring. I rarely go look for them as there is too much brush to crawl through. Now chanterells in the fall, that is a different thing. They are a lot easier to find, lots more of them, and I like them just as well, maybe better.

"Dead" elm ?? How in the hades do you kill 'em? We've cut and cut and they sprout back. We have to pile red coals on the stumps and get a leaf blower to them to burn them out. Nothing else seems to work.

backhoeboogie":2ub1nmuj said:
"Dead" elm ?? How in the hades do you kill 'em? We've cut and cut and they sprout back. We have to pile red coals on the stumps and get a leaf blower to them to burn them out. Nothing else seems to work.

Trust me, one blight of Dutch elm disease, and all you will have left in a couple of years is big dead trees. It took about 5 years to wipe out all of them on an 80 acre section. The good part is, it left plenty of room for all the nice oaks to flourish. The constant dead fall until you get the elms knocked down is a PITA though...

backhoeboogie":2hwdvpv0 said:

As already mentioned, Dutch Elm takes care of them.

There's some dang good firewood in the top of a few-years dead standing Elm tree. Hard as a rock and a real bugger to split, but it will burn really hot. The trunks are usually hollow and rotten though.

Latest posts