Morels

Help Support CattleToday:

Atimm693":16e5lf9w said:
backhoeboogie":16e5lf9w said:
"Dead" elm ?? How in the hades do you kill 'em? We've cut and cut and they sprout back. We have to pile red coals on the stumps and get a leaf blower to them to burn them out. Nothing else seems to work.

As already mentioned, Dutch Elm takes care of them.

There's some dang good firewood in the top of a few-years dead standing Elm tree. Hard as a rock and a real bugger to split, but it will burn really hot. The trunks are usually hollow and rotten though.
I'm dealing with a big Elm right now, this one is three foot across at the base and solid. I'm gonna have to borrow a splitter to get it busted up.

Elm makes for good smoking wood. Unlike Hickory, it won't get the meat too smoky.

Clodhopper":1040lus0 said:
There's some dang good firewood in the top of a few-years dead standing Elm tree. Hard as a rock and a real bugger to split, but it will burn really hot. The trunks are usually hollow and rotten though.
I'm dealing with a big Elm right now, this one is three foot across at the base and solid. I'm gonna have to borrow a splitter to get it busted up.

Elm makes for good smoking wood. Unlike Hickory, it won't get the meat too smoky.[/quote]
The only way I found to split elm that big was with a chain saw. That twisty grain makes it almost impossible to split other wise.

Latest posts