more cattle questions

Help Support CattleToday:

pruss06

Reaction score
I would like to know what you guys think; this is what I'm looking at: Is there more profit to stick with crossbred beef cattle on open land, normal feeding routine of hay, cubes, etc... selling off calves as their weaned. Or setting up an operation where I bring in a couple of momma cows and put 3 or 4 calves on each them; keep the heifers and sell the bulls when their weaned. Thanks for all your input!! :)

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":183haed8 said:
I think there is more money to be made to get several moma cows like 20-40 if you can afford it cross bred will be fine. Steer all the bull calves feed them out and sell em for the freezer. Sell all the heifers as breeding stock at weaning time. THis is how I have found that Im able to make the most money.

Thanks for your input. I'm looking at three possible breeds as options right now. I'm trying to decide between Santa Gertrudis, Red Angus, and Brangus. What you think?

i dont breed, i buy bred cows. when the calves wean i take all to the sale. then i buy again. so on so on. i do band every bull to sell as steirs. i do pretty good this way. my stock stays young. and i can watch what the buyers are buying at the sale and i can change as there needs and likes change. most of the time a mix will serve you well. most times their mixed for a reason to benfit from smaller birth weight than the pure bred is known for to save on birth problems then throw in a mix for milking so she'll beable to nurse the calve etc.etc. that works good here in alabama i dont know about there in texas.

TheLazyM":2oef3onb said:
i dont breed, i buy bred cows. when the calves wean i take all to the sale. then i buy again. so on so on. i do band every bull to sell as steirs. i do pretty good this way. my stock stays young. and i can watch what the buyers are buying at the sale and i can change as there needs and likes change. most of the time a mix will serve you well. most times their mixed for a reason to benfit from smaller birth weight than the pure bred is known for to save on birth problems then throw in a mix for milking so she'll beable to nurse the calve etc.etc. that works good here in alabama i dont know about there in texas.

LazyM,
What do you think about breeding Santa Gertrudis cows with an Angus bull??

Red Angus should not be categorized with Santas and Brangus. Sulphur Springs, Texas sounds like a pretty warm place. As a general rule red angus will not thrive in heat. Santas or brangus would be a better choice. I watch reds fall apart every summer down here, and the red bulls are doing a horrible job of keeping cows bred in warm season breedings. I even saw a red just lay down and die last summer because the pond was full and the other bulls wouldn't let him in for a swim. But there are also red angus composites bred for hot climates if you really like the breed. I know I do.

pruss06, i really dont know about the santa gertrudis. around here you find alot of yellows and char.crosses angus and hereford crosses. quite a few beefmasters. and then all mixed up. we're not all that hot. about 100% for about 60 days a years not that cold about mid teens about 20-30 days a years. if get enough rain to make it. we might go 4-6 months without any rain but when it starts it fills every thing back up. sorry i cant help there.