More, can you identify this piece of equipment?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
JohnDeeretobaccotractor.jpg

Oddlookingtobaccotractor.jpg

Thanks in advance.

tennessee I think the only value would be scrap unless u have a small area you just want to play with or try to restore it and sell it. I would think those things were dangerous with only 3 wheels.

I agree skyhigh. To the scrape heap it shall go. Just as soon as I can figure out how to get it there. LOL!

DirtyShame, we've got all kinds of ancient farm equipment laying around up there. I took photos of a lot of the stuff and one day I'll post some more of them for thoughts and opinions.

Tennessee.. Do you have a torch thats what I do when I get those old pieces makes it easier but it is a pain. I love old equipment but unfortunately if i bring home every piece I will have no farm land left nor a family...lol

I don't but I'm sure I can find a good ole boy nearby who does.

Next time I'm up at the farm I'm going to quiz the tenant who has lived on site for as long as I can remember and get him to fill me in on all the old stuff they've got sitting around. He still grows about 20 acres of tobacco so not all the equipment is as obsolete as I may imagine. I'm rarely there during planting season so I miss everything that goes into that.

Its a sprayer. Ironicly many were adapted to pull a rastus. The hi boys were designed to not tear the leaves off dark tobacco. You could hook about 6 rastus to it, and plow out dark after it had gotten too big for a tractor to get through.

Bigfoot":2ztjuwtw said:
Its a sprayer. Ironicly many were adapted to pull a rastus. The hi boys were designed to not tear the leaves off dark tobacco. You could hook about 6 rastus to it, and plow out dark after it had gotten too big for a tractor to get through.
I thought they were designed to spray 2-4d in tasseled corn after silks dried I learn everyday.

inbredredneck":15yzetg2 said:
Bigfoot":15yzetg2 said:
I thought they were designed to spray 2-4d in tasseled corn after silks dried I learn everyday.[/quoteU

The JD 600 was probably used more on corn. There was a hi boy brand as well with a little modification it could do many odd jobs in the tobacco patch. The extra plowing after the tobacco had gotten to big added several pounds of weight at selling. Not to mention keeping the weeds beat back for easier cutting. Many were used to drop sticks. You could also attach hand wands for putting on sucker oil. If someone got ahold of a setter going to scrap they are excellent to plant gardens with as well.

Sprayed cotton with one of those high boys as a teenager.

I have a rake just like that New Holland but it's a Case. I don't use it. Loaned it out to some ole gal with horses.

Latest posts