Money's not an option

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle

Reaction score
If you could add or change anything on your ranch and money wasn't an issue, what would you do different. This could be something you have in mind or have seen at someone others ranch.
I would beef up my working pens and holding pens. I would make it flow easier when I work cattle so that they couldn't double back. As big as you build a barn, you WILL fill it up. You can't ever have enough shale and gravel for your roads. ALl my premiter fences are field fence with a strand of barbed wire and it cost a lot but I never have any cattle next door. Also a good large covered working area would be nice. I'm sure I'll add more but this should be an interesting thread.

id buy 50 of the best beefmaster cows i could afford.an get 3 top bulls to breed them.

Replace all gates with cattle guards, and re-do some of the fences.. change the way they're laid out and add some alley ways. maybe put some working pens on the other end of the property. if had the water available, i'd like to have some irrigation on our ~20 acres of hay pasture

Buy the farm next door (flat land) perimeter fence our farm for the cows and hay/crop the flat land. Of course this would mean increasing heard size :D

Oh yeah, what plb said....definitely better working area, and covered.

Michele

I had to lean back in my chair and think about that one.
I don't know that I would change a whole lot for me. I have come to look forward to the ups and downs. The struggle to improve what I have, and to succeed is the best feeling one could have.
I would like to be large enough to be able to bring kids out to a working ranch and learn what it is to have to work for a living, and what responsablity is. All kids not just the underprivileged. I would like for them to build or repair the fences,plow the fields,bottle feed a calf, pull a calf, feed cows in the dead of winter, and on and on, right trough keeping the books.
A real education that they could appreciate for the rest of their life.

If money wasn't a issue? Well first of all I would move my cattle operation to cattle country. Around here there are housing developments encroaching in every direction. :shock: :shock:

First thing I'd do is buy the 200 acres west of me and tear down that d_____ rock castle and the 40 acre pecan grove to the west of that and the 60 acres to the east. Then I'd never have to worry about anybody building on top of me. I'd have everything on this side of the road corner to corner. The land across from me is Watts land and they don't sell nothing.Z

I'd buy 10-20 sections in southwest Texas where it was a two day trip to borrow a cup of sugar from the neighbor. :lol: I'd build bump gates and cattle guards at all entries and cross fence. pipe water to all pastures dig stock tanks and stock with fish for my spare time. Build working pens, etc. this could go on and on for a while. I'll stop here and ponder some more.

I would buy out everything around and shoot out all those bugger night lights. Then I would get a chair and set outside at night and just look at the stars and listen to the sound of silence.

Crowderville would see a larger expansion. Maybe even a Tractor with a Cab on it, with A/C and a CD Player. Then I'd quit my play job, I meant day job.

First i would get better fences and have someone else put them up for me, lol. add crossfencing. improve ALL of the pastures. dig a few new ponds.then buy three neighboring farms. oh and pay for some of the neighbors to leave. next i would purchase a good used truck. and get a trailer. then go try on hats...

i would build a 400x200 barn with lean to'sn the side make my pens bigger and beefier. better workin facilties, more lean to's have a all my fence replaced with 6 wire barb wire new cattle guards. and then i would have 6herds. on angus, hereford, limo, maine, and shorthorn, and a cross. o yea and new equitment (trucks, tractors, trailers semi, chutes, and show supplys)

i would fix my cross fencing drill new wells with submersible pumps and have new stock tanks. actually i should probally start doing the cross fencin tomarrow

I would push over every single building I own and then build one big building to use for every thing you need under one roof like Wal MART. Then I would hire ten people and buy every inch of ground I could.

and buy out all all the ground in ulysses, ks and hire all the people i owuld need and they work for free

I wouldn't be to greedy, but the finest 200 acre hay field with irrigation would be right down my alley.

Jack