Momma Cow Market

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
I want to get some input from you on this idea.

It appears to me that the Bull market is very well serviced. There are a lot of options for Bull buyers.

It appears to me that the Momma Cow market is less well serviced.

Do you think sufficient market opportunities exist for someone who specializes as a premium Momma Cow provider?

Human population growing and cow population is at is lowest in decades and people still love beef. I would say there are allot of opportuinities right now in providing momma cows. The main problem is prices are so high that a person can almost make as much money by selling a calf as a heifer as putting in all that extra grain, shots and time to make her a bred heifer or cow.

Yep--prices are high right now for anything 'replacement' oriented. Great for established producers that have plenty to sell--not so much so for folks without deep pockets wanting to expand by buying. Heifers ain't exactly inexpensive either.
But, I ain't complainin' much--a lot better that cattlemen be able to make a little more than have to do all that work and barely make a few cents--if even that. Pairs $1300-even $1500 here for good ones.

Absolutely!
I make a living selling FEMALES. Many producers do. Lots of farms promote females, selling embryos. Not sure what you are asking?
Even lots of commercial farms, have a reputation for their females.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":a33ojx7x said:
Absolutely!
I make a living selling FEMALES. Many producers do. Lots of farms promote females, selling embryos. Not sure what you are asking?
Even lots of commercial farms, have a reputation for their females.

Jeanne,
I am new to cattle. Hoping to work up to a good reputation and a good market. I see so many Bull sales, but so few Cow sales. I fully expect they are there, just not seeing a lot. Might be I don't know where to look.

You gotta be sitting pretty right now. Does much of your stock go south?

I sell seedstock & show calves mainly. They go all over. The only sale I'm involved in is the Gettysburg Stars & Stripes Sale, in PA. There's a group of consignors. No bulls, except for c/c pairs. But, most sales are off the farm, private treaty. Just sold a 7 month old heifer that went to Missouri (Conley Angus). I'm hoping to get away to Denver this year & watch her show.

Latest posts