Molasses in place of fertilizer

Help Support CattleToday:

A6gal

Reaction score
Can anyone give me information on using Molasses instead of fertilizer on my coastal field? I've heard some talk recently about local experiments on hay fields and was wondering if it would be worth trying. Liquid or Dry? How much per acre? etc.

I've not heard of molasses replacing fertilizer but it's being used to increase fertilizer efficiency.

Okay, I checked with the ag dealer. I found out it is a "hay mix" which includes molasses to stimulate microbe activity in the soil. The mix includes nitrogen, a soil activator, and humic acid. I also found out it costs about the same as applying the 21-0-0. Still would like some more information from anyone who has used this "hay mix" on how well it works.

A6gal":1b6km0dc said:
Okay, I checked with the ag dealer. I found out it is a "hay mix" which includes molasses to stimulate microbe activity in the soil. The mix includes nitrogen, a soil activator, and humic acid. I also found out it costs about the same as applying the 21-0-0. Still would like some more information from anyone who has used this "hay mix" on how well it works.

This sounds like something the organic folks would do. Is that the route you're wanting to take or do you intend to also put out commerical fertilizer?

I'm looking for the best bang for my buck. I want to increase grass production at the cheapest possible cost.

A6gal":2u7mx2y6 said:
I'm looking for the best bang for my buck. I want to increase grass production at the cheapest possible cost.

Noone can blame you for that but I can't see molasses doing it especially if you're talking about considerable acreage. Some folks on here have used chicken or turkey litter. Sure seems to have quite a bit of bang for the buck...just stinks to high heaven for a few days.

regolith":2kdf6efn said:
Sounds to me like a mix that would give good results fed directly to the livestock :D
I'm thinking similarly. I would put the molasses in a tank and let them take it in that way rather than put it on the grass and try to make it grow. The soil activator thing sounds like all these products claiming you can put them on for minimal cost and increase production X number of times what you normally get. A healthy pasture with good soil conditions and proper nutrients doesn't need any activation. The humic acid I am not sure on. Think its probably found in compost? At any rate you would probably get your best bang by simply applying the nutrients a soil test shows you are deficient in. That way your grass has all the building blocks it needs to grow and be productive. Just my 2 cents.

I am transitioning to more organic methods, so I am using all 3 (commercial synthetic fertilizer, chicken litter, and Molasses / fish / humic acid). The problem with commercial fertilizers is that it destroys the microbes in your soil and is too expensive. Chicken litter adds organic matter but has odor and can be expensive depending on how far you have to truck it. The organic fertilizer approach is more labor intensive if you are doing it yourself. I put out molasses at 2-3 gallons / acre with 2-4 gallons / acre of fish. The humic acid is a powder that has to be mixed with water in a bucket, then put into the tank and mixed again. You can get it in a liquid form but is much more expensive than the powder. I use a 500 gallon spray tank. The fish HAS to be diluted or you will burn your grass. This mixture is applied at 20 gallons / acre just before or during rain.
Which to do I would say depends on the condition of your soil and what you are wanting. If you want quick growth of lots of grass to cut for hay then use chicken litter or commercial fertilizer. Keep in mind that the commercial fertilizer is worse for your soil in the long run. If you are wanting grazing and have more time then consider the organic fertilizer. If your soil has little microbial life then the organic fertilizer will not give you as much response. Hope that helps.

CJohnson":1snlszaq said:
I am transitioning to more organic methods, so I am using all 3 (commercial synthetic fertilizer, chicken litter, and Molasses / fish / humic acid). The problem with commercial fertilizers is that it destroys the microbes in your soil and is too expensive. Chicken litter adds organic matter but has odor and can be expensive depending on how far you have to truck it. The organic fertilizer approach is more labor intensive if you are doing it yourself. I put out molasses at 2-3 gallons / acre with 2-4 gallons / acre of fish. The humic acid is a powder that has to be mixed with water in a bucket, then put into the tank and mixed again. You can get it in a liquid form but is much more expensive than the powder. I use a 500 gallon spray tank. The fish HAS to be diluted or you will burn your grass. This mixture is applied at 20 gallons / acre just before or during rain.
Which to do I would say depends on the condition of your soil and what you are wanting. If you want quick growth of lots of grass to cut for hay then use chicken litter or commercial fertilizer. Keep in mind that the commercial fertilizer is worse for your soil in the long run. If you are wanting grazing and have more time then consider the organic fertilizer. If your soil has little microbial life then the organic fertilizer will not give you as much response. Hope that helps.

There is not a cheap way to grow grass especially hay. Here is a demonstration that area Extension agents put in to look at various fertilizer methods. It is only one year's data (they plan to run for 3 years). http://wood-tx.tamu.edu/publications/20 ... report.pdf

A6gal":qcns24n5 said:

I bet you would have a 100 pound of fire ants per bale here or go broke spreading ant posion in the hay field.

In my experience the fire ants don't like the molasses and we have less of them as strange as that may seem.

We tested a field (10 acres) to see the outcome. Grass didn't grow near as well as the fertilized fields. However, cows preferred that pasture.

:lol2: Sounds like somebody's trying to sell you a bill of goods. "Costs the same as 21-0-0" means absolutely nothing

Sounds like some of that "Jerry Baker" hokum.
Are you sure you weren't also supposed to add a can of soda, a can of beer, some tobacco juice, a cup of baby shampoo, a cup of lemon-scented dish detergent, a bottle of hot sauce, and some aged human urine?

Latest posts