Modified Beefmaster - Anyone tried it?

Help Support CattleToday:

East Caney

Reaction score
I've been thinking and thinking about what would work best for me. I'm new to this but ideas seem to hit me left and right about what I should try. Not enough land or money for the ideas that come running through my mind...Anyway, here it goes.

How about putting a good Santa Gertrudis bull on tigerstripe mamas? It would be 7/16 Brahman, 5/16 Shorthorn, and 4/16 Hereford....a touch less brahman replaced by shorthorn blood. Good idea or should good enough be left alone?

And you hereford guys, what does hereford put into the beefmaster? I'm honestly looking for the traits that a beefmaster gets from hereford. From what I read, Shorthorn has better carcass traits and milking ability on average, so I was just wondering.

Know this is a bit long, so thanks for all of you who reply.

I used to have a Gertrudis bull, and some tiger striped mommas... we got some great calves in that mix.
Most of my cows are beefmasters, but now have a black limo, and I am getting the best calves I have ever seen. But my bull.. hes a dandy!!

I would think that the hereford add heterosis as well as heavier bone and rustling ability, but mostly its about how the three breeds complimented each other in the foundation herd.

Limomike":3hnd6usy said:
I used to have a Gertrudis bull, and some tiger striped mommas... we got some great calves in that mix.
Most of my cows are beefmasters, but now have a black limo, and I am getting the best calves I have ever seen. But my bull.. hes a dandy!!
Your beefmasters are good mammas?

I would think the hereford might add some hardiness and resistance to cold weather - they might be able to grow some hair.

My thought is that I can use tigers with a Santa Gertrudis bull on top to produce a close variation of a beefmaster. I thought maybe putting the Gert bull on top would produce just a bit less ear and mostly solid red calves. My desire is to build the herd by keeping replacements from that cross. After a few years of keeping replacements, I'd like to switch to a continental bull for more growthy calves.

I see a lot of beefmaster cattle that have white ont he underbody. Though the color pattern isn't the most important thing, I'd sure like them to look like those mommas on the beefmaster website. Most of those girls are solid red.

East Caney":1fv4y1xn said:
My thought is that I can use tigers with a Santa Gertrudis bull on top to produce a close variation of a beefmaster. I thought maybe putting the Gert bull on top would produce just a bit less ear and mostly solid red calves. My desire is to build the herd by keeping replacements from that cross. After a few years of keeping replacements, I'd like to switch to a continental bull for more growthy calves.

I see a lot of beefmaster cattle that have white ont he underbody. Though the color pattern isn't the most important thing, I'd sure like them to look like those mommas on the beefmaster website. Most of those girls are solid red.
beefmasters come in 3 colors an maybe more.the colors are red paint an black.ive got a solid red beefmaster bull that has some white on his underline.

When Mr. Lasater was building the Beefmaster breed, color or markings was not a consideration. He built the breed strictly on performance.

That cross will make an excellent replacement female. Years ago there was a ranch at Brenham Texas that produced high quality F1 Brahman X Hereford females. They also bred their F1's to Santa Gertrudis bulls and sold the heifers as replacements. Interesting thing was that they had to brand the Gert crosses at weaning time with a seperate holding brand to keep from mistaking about 1/4 of them as tigerstripes the next year.

East Caney":tskopkt5 said:
My thought is that I can use tigers with a Santa Gertrudis bull on top to produce a close variation of a beefmaster.

That might serve your climate well.

I didn't say it would take much ear off. And personally, it won't kill me for them to have ear b/c my greatest desire is to produce replacements for myself.

However, it would take "some" ear off b/c they would not be 1/2 (8/16) Brahman, but would only be 7/16 Brahman. May not even be noticable, but that's my thought. In addition, the added 1/16 of Shorthorn may help carcass quality. That was my thinking, anyway.

BC, you're saying that the F1/Gert cross will still likely produce calves with the brindle color? Not a great big deal, but I don't want to be giving steers away at the sale barn.

You will get solid red, fed motley face and some that look just like their mothers. It ia as close to reproducing the F1 as you can get as far as the females go. The females are good cows. You may get some dock on the steer calves (they will be 7/16 Brahman influence, more than the 1/4 blood that can be put on most feeder orders) but there is not a way to produce a good replacement heifer that is adapted to your area with out having a tick too much ear in the steers.

Buy the thickest, meatiest Gert bull you can find and the calves will be all right.

Latest posts