Mob Grazing Pictures

Help Support CattleToday:

CJohnson

Reaction score
Here are some pictures of cows grazing bermudagrass. The section they are in is about 5 acres. There are 250 pairs. They have been on it for 18 hours.

March_31_2012_011.jpg
[/url][/img]
March_31_2012_016.jpg
[/url][/img]
March_31_2012_012.jpg
[/url][/img]

CJohnson":3qw0wc88 said:
Here are some pictures of cows grazing bermudagrass. The section they are in is about 5 acres. There are 250 pairs. They have been on it for 18 hours.

March_31_2012_011.jpg

March_31_2012_016.jpg

March_31_2012_012.jpg

I enjoyed the pictures. The picture of the super baldy pair confirmed my thoughts from your previous post on mob grazing. Your rotation is too long and your grass quality is not as good as you could possibly get. You may have to mow or shred behind the cows to get a more uniform regrowth. I really think you need to speed up to 16 to 24 days on the bermuda for higher quality grass. The higher quality grass should result in more milk for calves and better body condition scores on cows. One other thought for your consideration - let calves have access to a paddock prior to turning the herd in. Through selective grazing they will get the tenderest, most gigestible grassand improve their weight gain.

xbred":2oq8tu7g said:
what is your rotation schedule?

We move them every morning, they are getting about 7-8 acres per day right now. We use polytwine to back fence so they have access to water with a lane.

xbred":r8ww2y2k said:
if you are giving them 7-8 acres a day, will it work if you give them 14-16 acres for 2 days? or 21 acres for 3 days?

The efficiency of grass utilization and how much trampling effect you have decreases with less confinement. Most people doing this (MOB grazing) measure it by how many pounds per acre. I currently have around 55,000 pounds per acre which most MOB grazing experts would say is not enough. I could double the pounds per acre and move them every 12 hours but don't have the time / manpower to do that. With experience and pasture improvement I will increase my stocking density. I know of custom grazers that have 6 or 7 thousand head of yearlings and move them multiple times per day as a full time job, and make a lot of money doing this. I think if you are moving them every 2-3 days that would be called management intensive grazing which I believe was a term coined by Jim Garrish. This is certainly better than not rotating, and is what I was doing before. I think I am seeing positive effects on my pastures with what I am doing now but really have not done it long enough to say. Just sharing and seeking discussion.

Latest posts