MO. People,anybody cut fescue yet??

Help Support CattleToday:

EIEIO

Reaction score
Don't think there is "normal" weather anymore. Been lucky to be in the 60's here during the day with nights down in the 40's plus it seems like rain every other day and it's sprinkling now.

Anyway, the weather guessers are saying warm (70's to around 80 degrees) and dry from tomorrow till Saturday evening. I'm thinking if the sun is out in the morning I may cut one or both hay fields around 1 or so. Then Thursday just leave it out to dry till mid day and rake it. Leave it out till any dew is off it on Friday and then "flip" it again with the rake if I think it needs it and start baling. Would sure like not leave it in the field for 2 days but just don't know if it will dry out enough to bale in one, guess I'll find out.

It's just been so dang wet out don't know how well it's going to dry. Not real thick stuff but sure better than last year.

I've seen some folks east of me with alfalfa down but those guys must cut that stuff 4-5 times a year, least it seems like that anyway.

So, anybody out there cut fescue yet?? I've not even seen anyone start yet but am thinking everybody in my area anyway may be starting tomorrow as this will be the first time we have had a warm, sunny, and dry forecast lasting more than 2 days in some time and it sure is time to cut.

J

Hello EiEio

I couldn't stand it and I cut 40 acres last Thursday the 11th. I baled the outside 5 rounds yesterday afternoon and got along OK. I then started worrying that it might be a little damp as it was only 64 degrees yesterday so I stopped. It came a little shower yesterday evening and then today so I'll finish it tomorrow if it gets to 74 like its supposed to and if not, it will surely go on Thursday.

If I didn't already have this down, I would definately start cutting tomorrow for baling on Sat or Sun.

Good luck

Dub

Neigbor cut some sunday and tedded it today. Still just as wet as when it was originally cut. Low temps and cloudy doesn;t do much for curing it. I plan on cutting tomorrow late in the day.

dun

Its looking the same up here. i think where gonna go ahead and rap alot of ares for Sialge. We have the chopper baler and were buying a rapper. you can rent a rapper for around 5 $ a bale. i think thats with plastic.

alot of guys mowed there first cut alflafa down saterday got hit hard with rain today and yesterday so its not looking good. good thing we were still planting beans :cboy:

Glad I didn't cut it yesterday. One big cloud coming down from IA and we're on the receiving end. Pouring rain and has been for about ahlf an hour. Looking at the radar it will be another hour or 2 before it lets up. I love spring in MO.

dun

Itching to cut some hay -
Forecast just doesn't have much hope from what I see.

I'm concerned that we need a dry spell just to get the ground dryed up. Right now, even if we had a good try stretch, I don't think it would dry due to the ground moisture etc. Guess a fellow could tedder the heck out the stuff.
Any of you guys concerned about the ground moisture/cool temps etc?

RGV

Think I'm going to watch the weather at 11 and then again at noon, flip a coin, and then decide what to do. Tractor has the mower on and is pointed toward the hay fields. Been that way for a week now.

Got a few showers yesterday but only added up to less than 1/16 of an inch.

We are rocky enough the ground does drain faster than I'd like most of the time but we are well saturated now so yes RGV I'm worried about the ground moisture and the cool nights but today while out looking at the field the ground looked pretty dry and the temp's are supposed to stay up at least in the 70's. Did not take long this morning for the dew to burn off either, the wind is helping.

Nice cool wind and sunshine right now but guessers have changed their minds again and are calling for a slight chance of rain tonight and again come Friday.

What to do what to do.

J

Hey EiEio

Looking pretty good for today and tomorrow so I think I'm gonna start rolling it up.

I would rather have early cutting hay that gets wet than later hay dry.

I used to worry about the weather and now I just work as fast as I can and get to the end as soon as I can and if it gets wet, no problem, it will just grow back that much faster.

Dub

I don't see a favorable break in this forecast

RGV

Forecast Conditions High/Low °F Precip.
Chance High Temperatures Low Temperatures Precipitation
Tonight
May 17 T-Showers Early
N/A/52° 40%

High not valid after 2pm
Thu
May 18 PM Showers / Wind
72°/53° 30%