MLV Vaccines

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
There was a recent thread that put out an alarm on the use of MLV vaccines. It was directed at the use of MLV vaccines for IBR in pregnant cows. The negative side affect was aborted fetuses. I read that thread and took away the notion that MLV vaccines as a category of vaccine are bad. I started looking for non-MLV vaccines. Today, I found a paper on the use of MLV vaccines for calves. Obviously this is a non-abortion issue. I am wondering if the MLV vaccines for IBR are a problem in a calf vaccination protocol. Also, I raised the issue in the of use of MLV for non-IBR viruses such as corona and rota viruses that cause calf scours. Someone responded that those should be OK. Comments, please.

MLV for BVD, PI3, BRSV are fine. MLV for rotavirus, coronavirus, etc are fine.

IBR as a virus has the ability to destroy the ovarian CL, and cross the placenta to cause fetal death. In animals that are naive or do not have sufficient protection, vaccination with a MLV may cause disease. Doesn't appear to happen before 5-6 months of gestation.

IBR as a virus goes latent- it is a herpes virus after all- and the virus itself can reappear years later if the cow is stressed. So she's in late-gestation and a big snow storm comes through - the virus could reappear and cause disease. It's not known if the MLV in the vaccine can go latent. Differentiation between the virus strain and the vaccine strain is very difficult in the laboratory. Maybe you work your cows and 30 days later some of them abort. Was that due to the vaccine you gave or did the stress from working the cows cause reappearance of a virus she acquired naturally as a calf?

Don't get the impression that MLV as a category are bad - they're not. They tend to provide better protection than killed vaccines and sometimes are necessary to create an appropriate immune response. Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater. Brucellosis (Bangs vaccine) is a MLV and we sure wouldn't have erradicated it this far without vaccination. MLV BVD vaccines are still probably your best bet for preventing BVD-PI calves based on the vaccine trial research I've read. MLV vaccines do stimulate strong responses to common respiratory viral pathogens- which is extremely important.

I'd still advocate using MLV vaccines. I wouldn't advocate vaccinating pregnant cows with a BVD/PI3/BRSV/IBR MLV vaccine in the last half of pregnancy - but why would you vaccinate then anyway??? It's too late to protect the calf from BVD. Vaccination should ideally be done *before* breeding, in which case yearly vaccination is perfectly appropriate.

In the spring we use Bovishield Gold 5 on the cows. At weaning we use it with a booster 3 weeks later on the calves. The next spring the retained heifers get the same thing along with the cows. We also use VL5SQ both spring and fall.

MLV's should not be used by *cough* lazy? producers. No reason why cows can't be vaccinated pre-breeding. This idea of vaccinating breds with MLV is a crapshoot and people who do it, deserve what they get. I don't vaccinate breds with anything. The people that I know, that vaccinate breds, are ones that hate the idea of having to run cows through the corral more than once a year.

http://farmprogress.com/beef-producer-s ... e-14-64594

"You're giving an abortifacient agent to a pregnant cow," Barling says. "The bovine species is the one of the few if any animal species that has a label for MLV use during pregnancy. MLV's are harmful to the fetus. The developing bovine fetus is no exception."

IBR is well known as a respiratory disease in stocker and feedlot cattle but this role as an abortion-causing agent is less well understood, says Clinton Jones, a biomedical professor at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

In fact, Jones says, both the virulent strains of IBR and the modified live vaccine strains of IBR go into a form of "latency" -- more or less a hibernation -- after the animals' bodies overcome them. The animals will carry these latent organisms the rest of their lives and the IBR can be awakened from latency and become active again by a stressful event such as pregnancy or a immune suppression

I'd like to see the research on that cross -- I called Pfizer and they couldn't tell me for sure what their MLV did. The IBR natural virus does go latent and recrudesce as indicated in the article. It's a herpes virus; that's what they do. The MLV? that's unknown. It's modified by passage (eg they infect a host it can't cause disease in, or put it through cell culture until it no longer causes disease, and then bottle it up). Ideally it still expresses the same proteins on the outside of the virus as the "real deal" - it's just that the modified form shouldn't be able to cause disease.

Also- note that each vaccine company uses a different virus in their vaccine. There's a host of MLV respiratory/reproductive vaccines out there by a dozen different companies.

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_product_gro ... ABD8F23A65

The quote in the article you posted may have referred to X vaccine from X company. That doesn't mean that Y vaccine from Y company does the same thing. Don't assume all vaccines act the same or elicit the same immune response.

As I mentioned last time that link was posted- there is information in there that is out of context and/or people misquoted. I don't advocate giving MLV to pregnant animals, but as I said before.... I don't know why anyone would vaccinate a third trimester cow with a MLV. It's past the beneficial stage (days 45-120). Vaccinate with a killed virus or wait until she's calved.

There are some good details in the responses. I can take away from this that when vaccinating calves there is not as much concern for the vaccine containing a Live Modified Virus even if it is for IBR. I noticed that Bovi-Shield 5 Gold does not contain the MLV for IBR even though there are MLV constituents in the serum. Before I was aware of the concern for MLV vaccines, I used CattleMaster 4 + VL5 during late pregnancy in six of my cows this past year. Five had nice calves and the other one came up open not because of abortion but because she is very fat and has fat or cysts blocking her reproductive tract. Dun, you use Bovi-Shield 5 Gold in the spring on your cows, are some of those bred cows? By the way when I was looking at Bovi-Shield 5 Gold, it was listed for just three dollars and pennies for a 10 dose vial. Is that an error or is it that cheap? Milkmaid, thank you for the effort you put into your response. Aaron, I can tell you have a good work ethic from your response. Maybe I don't want to come up there as a work hand. :lol: Actually, I have a great facility for working my cows especially for how small my operation is. I am the wierd one who looks for opportunities to minister to my cows. My cows are easy to work and it is always a game for me fooling them into doing just what I want. I have never hit one of my cattle with more than a riding crop and it pays off. Here is a picture my sister took of me with my bull.
ddnd04.jpg

inyati13":2h9zrtjg said:
Dun, you use Bovi-Shield 5 Gold in the spring on your cows, are some of those bred cows?
The only cow that I could find in my records that was still PG at spring workup (Cattle Max is so handy) was Vaccinated April 29 and she calved normally June 1. She had been vaccinated with 2 rounds of it as a calf and again in the spring the 2 years before after she had calved

Right or wrong - all my cattle get BS5L5 the same time each spring. "Some" may still be bred due to calve within a week or so. All got BS5L5 3 times as calves and every spring the rest of their lives. I even vacc. all the fall breds at that time. They would be 2-4 months preg at that time.
By vacc my cows w/ MLV prior to breeding, it is supposed to be safe to vacc my calves while nursing the vaccinated cows.
I questioned the fact that the IBR was not MLV - this is what I read:
"The freeze-dried vaccine is a preparation of modified live virus (MLV) strains of IBR, BVD Types 1 and 2, PI3 and BRSV. "

Jeanne, you are correct on the Bovi-Shield Gold 5 containing MLV for IBR. I read the same line, "The freeze-dried vaccine is a preparation of modified live virus (MLV) strains of IBR, BVD Types 1 and 2, PI3 and BRSV. " It is the CattleMaster Gold FP 5 that contains the chemically altered strains of IBR and PI3. The only MLV preparation in CattleMaster Gold FP 5 is the BRSV.

Cross- it would probably depend on the killed vaccine. Give me a brand name and I'll see if I can locate efficacy studies. ;-)

Latest posts