mixing vaccines??????

Help Support CattleToday:

tsmaxx47

Reaction score
tomorrow is vacination day. is there any thing wrong with mixing the vaccines that all go SQ in the same syringe. my vet's gone for the weekend and i don't want to mix vaccines until i know for sure............the vaccines i would be mixing are noromectin, I-Site and vision 7.

tsmaxx47":qfcua0uo said:
tomorrow is vacination day. is there any thing wrong with mixing the vaccines that all go SQ in the same syringe. my vet's gone for the weekend and i don't want to mix vaccines until i know for sure............the vaccines i would be mixing are noromectin, I-Site and vision 7.

First, noromectin is not a vaccine, it's a wormer.
Second, I-Site & vision 7 are both pinkeye vaccines, why do you intend to give both to a cow? Why do you intend to give pinkeye vaccines this time of year in OK? Will your fly season start in a few weeks?

Short answer, I wouldn't mix any vaccines, buy the combination you need.

tsmaxx47":2nrrs43l said:
ok chris; so you don't know....

No, I don't know why you want to mix two different pinkeye vaccines. I don't know why you want to give a pinkeye vaccine this time of year. I don't know why you called a wormer a vaccine.

I do know you shouldn't mix vaccines if it's not labeled to do it.

No. Don't mix things that were not formulated to be mixed. Carriers, pH, adjuvants, etc., will be different in various products. If you mix, some components may be inactivated, tied up, or otherwise rendered ineffective(but probably not dangerous).
The Vision 7 is a polyvalent Clostridium +H.somnus - but,I too, would question why you'd give a pinkeye vaccine(I-site) at this time of year.

Anything thats meant to be mixed together already is.
Follow directions

And I also question your choices-- maybe wait and talk to the vet.

thanks lucky p and howdy, i have just always followed this procedure and repeated it in the spring with success. if another procedure is more beneficial, i'm all ears. i should have called it shot day....

Just get cheap throw away plastic syringes put each med in it's own syringe. I'd rather poke them more than once over mixing stuff. B&G

tsmaxx47":3rt3u3zy said:
thanks lucky p and howdy, i have just always followed this procedure and repeated it in the spring with success. if another procedure is more beneficial, i'm all ears. i should have called it shot day....

Call it any day you want, just don't call a wormer a vaccination.
tsmaxx47":3rt3u3zy said:
..........the vaccines i would be mixing are noromectin, I-Site and vision 7.

Black and Good":2ty1neek said:
Just get cheap throw away plastic syringes put each med in it's own syringe. I'd rather poke them more than once over mixing stuff. B&G
yes b&g,i agree with you and i'm leaning toward that method of administration right now............

tsmaxx47":wxd5o0ny said:
Black and Good":wxd5o0ny said:
yes b&g,i agree with you and i'm leaning toward that method of administration right now............
The way our vet does it is by filling a 12cc syringe then injecting the proper amount for each animal. When the syringe is empty he changes needles before he draws the syringe full again.

dun":1nxdscwn said:
tsmaxx47":1nxdscwn said:
Black and Good":1nxdscwn said:
The way our vet does it is by filling a 12cc syringe then injecting the proper amount for each animal. When the syringe is empty he changes needles before he draws the syringe full again.
I just wouldn't recommend that method for all producers. When cattle are jumping around, it can be tricky only administering the 2cc or 5cc dose. Granted it probably wouldn't hurt to give 3cc or 8cc - but I could run out of meds if some of them got more than prescribed.
With my "awkward" arthritic fingers - the Prima Tech is absolutely great for doing a herd workup.

tsmaxx47":2lga9up6 said:

If you have done this in the past and the cattle did not have a reaction to the combination of meds, does not mean that you successfully innoculated your stock against the diseases and successfully dewormed them.

All it means is that you were lucky that none of them got sick.

A stock producer should always follow label directions and only use drugs labeled for that species, especially if the animal is entering the food chain.

I would never mix 2 different drugs and was always taught that if one was getting say 2 different vaccines to give them at least the width of your hand apart. I probably go to the extreme, give Virashield in one side of the neck and the pinkeye shot in the other side in the spring.

tom4018":29nfu1hs said:
I would never mix 2 different drugs and was always taught that if one was getting say 2 different vaccines to give them at least the width of your hand apart. I probably go to the extreme, give Virashield in one side of the neck and the pinkeye shot in the other side in the spring.

I always separate them, too. One of the injectable wormers I used showed giving it under the skin just behind the elbow. So when I give wormers at the same time as vaccines I'll give the wormer behind the elbow. And if I have to give an antibiotic at the same time as a vaccine, it goes on the opposite side of the neck as the vaccine.

this is all good advice. i have never done this in the past, and therefore the initial question. jeanne, i hear what you're say'in about the cattle jumping around. what actually prompted this question was the fact that i mix compatable herbicides when spraying the pasture in the spring and i didn't see anything on the injectable cattle meds specifically forbidding this practice. i knew some of you could give me the right information and i have never been disappointed going to this website for info. thanx to you all.......

Latest posts