missing hair

Help Support CattleToday:

J-LizH

Reaction score
Good Morning Ya'll,

I have a question. I have a 3 week old calf had a rough start. Cows udder was infected no milk or colostrum for 24 hrs. Got diarrhea, weak, etc. Had a few days of antibiotics which ended over 15 days ago. Now she is acting great sucking a bottle nibbling pellets. Yesterday I noticed a small patch of loose hair/skin in her back. I thought she had rubbed it. It came off in my hand about the size of an smashed penny. Skin under looks smooth and healthy, no roughness or anything like a ringworm. I see some flaky skin like dandruff, but not much. Today I notice she has some hair loss around her ears. Any ideas what might cause this? What to do?
Thank you,

J-Liz

All things considered based on her history & your comments I would suspect she possibly has a lice infestation. If you're experienced with cattle the signs are obvious. If not and you have a magnifying glass/lens, put her under a bright light/sunny spot, part the hair down to skin level examine closely and if she has lice you'll see minuscule flesh colored critters. Regardless, whatever is causing the problem has to be identified before a solution can be implemented. Good luck and keep us posted!

My first guess would also be lice. If you follow 76's suggestion and see them, my go-to is spraying with Fly Ban or whatever permethrin insecticide you use. Couple of my girls always get them in the winter so I spray the whole herd.

Thank you 76 Bar and TCRanch,

Went out this morning more hair loss and skin looks rough today. All I had on hand was Cattle pour on. I put 4cc's on her from her neck to tailbone. I read a few places that said it would work? All other cattle seem to have all their hair. Will treat them all after the rain stops here is Florida. Not complaining about the rain, it's been really dry! TCRanch I did order the book you recommended. Waiting for delivery now. Thank you so much for the help. Never thought I'd be raising cattle.
Blessings,
J-Liz

Sounds like telogen effluvium. When calves get really sick they can lose all of their hair after they recover. Some go completely bald. It grows back without treatment. Watch out for sunburn if they have light skin.

Probably not lice, but treating for them is harmless.

Couple of my girls always get them in the winter so I spray the whole herd.
Just goes to show ya the diversity of inherent health issues in different areas of the USA. Significant late winter/spring lice infestations of all classes of cattle in the Pacific North West Coast is a given in spite of diligent Rx in the fall.

Sounds a bit like rain scald to me, Dermatophilus infection of the skin. Hair comes off in clumps leaving bare smooth skin underneath. No need to treat they grow back nice shiny coat.

Ken

Any chance it's stress related? My oldest sons 4H steer was orphaned at 3 weeks old, and after getting him caught and penned up, and forcing him to eat from a bottle, he lost a good bit of hair around his shoulder areas. Was told it was likely stress related, the skin appeared fine. It grew back in a couple months.

Rain Scald crossed my mind as well Ken but ruled it out for a couple of reasons. Common occurrence in my locale e.g. 60 to 100 plus inches of relentless precipitation in a ~ 4 month time span. Layman's term in my neck of the woods is Rain Rot...apropos. Horses seem most prone but I've had cows & calves half bald before the advent of sustained sunny weather in late spring.

M.Magis said:
Any chance it's stress related? My oldest sons 4H steer was orphaned at 3 weeks old, and after getting him caught and penned up, and forcing him to eat from a bottle, he lost a good bit of hair around his shoulder areas. Was told it was likely stress related, the skin appeared fine. It grew back in a couple months.

The calfs middle name is stress! Went over 34 hrs no colostrum, no milk, got sick, diarrhea like crazy. Moms udder trashed. Mom won't give her a second look. These were supposed to be my husbands cows. So I am playing catch up. Thanks for the info!
J=Liz

Latest posts