Missing calf??

Help Support CattleToday:

Multiple coyotes can do some damage, we have lost a a couple mature healthy ewes to them and a neighbor lost a mature ram, did see evidence of that as the carcasses were found. We have had a few instances where larger calves were unaccounted for and never found.

Last edited:
I agree that cow would be calling if calf was gone. Of course, she would only call for about 12 hours. If pasture is rough or brushy she may have hidden the calf.

Didn't someone post on here about twin heifer calves where one disappeared? Turned out the cow was hiding them and only one at a time would follow her up. Both were black so couldn't tell apart from a distance. Finally found second calf hiding place after a couple weeks. Cows can be sneaky. If she is not over bagged then she is nursing something. I would give first time heifer a second chance before dumping her since she took care of the calf for the first 2 weeks that you could see her. Unless she has other problems.

I agree that cow would be calling if calf was gone. Of course, she would only call for about 12 hours. If pasture is rough or brushy she may have hidden the calf.

Didn't someone post on here about twin heifer calves where one disappeared? Turned out the cow was hiding them and only one at a time would follow her up. Both were black so couldn't tell apart from a distance. Finally found second calf hiding place after a couple weeks. Cows can be sneaky. If she is not over bagged then she is nursing something. I would give first time heifer a second chance before dumping her since she took care of the calf for the first 2 weeks that you could see her. Unless she has other problems.
I didn't post about that but had a similar experience just this year.

Probably well hidden by cow. Will show up.

I seen here act once like she was looking for it mid day yesterday. Pasture is clean as this was cut for hay twice then pastured. Just a few acres of woods they can get in, but I run all electric fence which calves seem to ignore and go under all the time.

I seen here act once like she was looking for it mid day yesterday. Pasture is clean as this was cut for hay twice then pastured. Just a few acres of woods they can get in, but I run all electric fence which calves seem to ignore and go under all the time.
That may be the answer right there, when I was using electric fence, calves would lay down and sleep by it then get up on the other side. It doesn't take much of an area that's grown up to hide them.

Did the calf stay with her until now? If it has I would be more concerned.
First few days she hid it like normal with newborns. For a week or so it has been with her or other calves. Last time we saw it right before dark it was with the herd, next morning nowhere to be seen.

That may be the answer right there, when I was using electric fence, calves would lay down and sleep by it then get up on the other side. It doesn't take much of an area that's grown up to hide them.
We have had them go under but always come back, maybe something got after this one. It acted ok the night before but was concerned it might have something wrong with it and looked for it. Spent a lot of time looking but not sure where it might have sent and there is a lot of woods nearby.

We have had them go under but always come back, maybe something got after this one. It acted ok the night before but was concerned it might have something wrong with it and looked for it. Spent a lot of time looking but not sure where it might have sent and there is a lot of woods nearby.
That's a possibility, I've seen coyotes staying close watching the herd from the bushes. If a calf gets spooked they could run through the fence and then be afraid to go back through it if they get shocked. The woods around here provide a lot of cover for coyotes and bears.

That's a possibility, I've seen coyotes staying close watching the herd from the bushes. If a calf gets spooked they could run through the fence and then be afraid to go back through it if they get shocked. The woods around here provide a lot of cover for coyotes and bears.
You keep them beers up your way. Heard of some in a adjoining county so that is too close.

I'm betting it's just hiding . Heifer would be looking for it or bawling if it was missing. Watch her early morning or about dark , thats when she will go to it .

You keep them beers up your way. Heard of some in a adjoining county so that is too close.
They are supposed to be in the National forest area in adjoining county to here and farther east but they can't read the county line signs. They're branching out and raising their bear families in a lot of counties in probably well over half of the state now. We were out looking for a new calf one morning a few months ago and a pretty good sized bear run into the bushes and a cub went up a tree. I'm more concerned with buzzards and coyotes than the bears. Though a few years ago found a couple month old calf, with a wide gash on her side behind her front leg. Got her in the barn but she died.

New moms sometimes are a little over protective and will keep them hid out. I've had this happen a few times and it's amazing how well they can remain unseen and almost in the open. I've looked for days for some then given up hope and then I'll be dammed there it is by it's momma. Hope it shows up.

No. If if got under a fence it would be in some thick woods. It is not out in open pasture for sure, walked a lot looking in the woods. It has me puzzled.
They are really good at hiding! I had some jump out at my feet. They listen well to mama! If buzzards show up you know a bobcat may have gotten it. Hopefully your not in an area where it was stolen. I've seen that too.

My experience with heifers this year, 5, has been all the above to what others mentioned. Had one where saw the calf the 1st day, then absolutely nothing for over a week but i knew it was nearby as when i drove near wherever she was hiding it that day, she perked up but never went running to it like a few of the other cows did.
Had a cow where calf went missing. I sat out in the pasture the second evening for several hours waiting for the cow to go to the calf. She did right at dusk but it was too late, dead.

Latest posts