MiraFount waterer always leaking?

Help Support CattleToday:

Talin

Reaction score
My one hole waterer has leaked since we bought it changed ball, the valve assembly, the valve seat, we have a regulator in that will get changed next any other thoughts? It overflows my thought is it is the pressure regulator. The valve doesn't seem to do well with any pressure.

Any other thoughts or better regulators that I can use?

Don't have the answer to your question but I have a JUG water that does the same thing worked good for the first few months then started to over flow and never could get it right.

If memory serves me on my Ritchie there are different color valves depending on the water pressure.

I work on these a good bit for customers. A few things to try- when you have the cover off and float assembly exposed take a finger and lift on the float to see if you can shut the flow off with extra pressure. If so then pressure could be your problem but I run them on 40 psi all the time with no trouble so unless you have a real high pressure system I doubt that's it. Usually it's a simple little thing - make sure your float isn't hitting the wall or the lid the way it's adjusted- make sure the float hasn't gotten a small amount of water in it- check your seat again they can get a dimple in them and leak even tho they look good. Also had one I couldn't get to stop and turned out it didn't get enough tape on the threads at the factory and would trickle behind the valve, took forever to find that you had to look up under the valve and could just barely see it dribble so look at where the valve screws into the PVC elbow at the top of the stand pipe. Also make sure there is not grit in your water supply that can stick to the seat. Like I said they are finicky but simple so if none of that's it p.m me I will give you my number and try to help you over the phone while you work on it.

We have a high pressure system (80 psi), and waterers never seal around here.. there is also fine gravel in the line... we put a filter in, and additional springs to help it close, and we finally got it..

Thank you so much I think it is the water pressure there are a group of expensive homes up the hill from me and they like their hot showers all at the same time. I am going to try the better regulators and the spring idea and see how it goes.

I am actually excited about getting my hands on it darn thing is not going to beat me! :deadhorse:

It sounds like you don't have enough pressure from the float to push the washer tight against the seat. The threaded rod from the float can be extended quite a ways out before you set the lock nut. That will give you more pressure against the float, which puts more pressure on the seal. That black seal can be taken out and flipped over one time if it has a slight groove in it.

As you probably know, don't remove that blue cover over the valve assy. with water pressure on or you'll be scouting around for that seat!!

Latest posts